Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

My favorite comments are from Singh

"It's making a mockery of someone for what they live and what their lived experiences are," Singh said. 

Because of course there are no photos of Singh dressed up at all during a halloween party.  Or literally any other candidate.

Please please please let this absolutely blow up.  I have been so bored the last few days

Black/brownface is racist. Full stop. Halloween isn't an excuse, and I doubt Singh's dressed up as a racist caricature of someone else. If he has, shame on him too.

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, no one shoots themselves in the foot quite like a Liberal. 

My only question out of this in between laughing.

is why the principal sought fit to just release this NOW out of literally a decades worth of opportunities to do so.  What is their motivation?

Watching the Cons spin this as "trudeau bad" and the libs spin this as "it was a different time" will be so frigging funny to watch.  For once the Cons will attempt to play the moral card and the Libs will try to play the hey, it was a different time we're sorry our bad card

2 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Black/brownface is racist. Full stop. Halloween isn't an excuse, and I doubt Singh's dressed up as a racist caricature of someone else. If he has, shame on him too.

Nobody is saying it ISN'T racist or does not have RACIST connotations.  

But

I dare say if we look at the literal thousands upon thousands of costumes worn over the decades of cumulative halloween's and costume parties that our Mps have  been alive through, you're damned straight going to find some ugly stuff

Most likely

endless cultural appropriation

sultry costumes leading to "sl*t shaming"

cross dressing leading to making fun of the lgbtq community

outfits of significance to canadian culture or mocking of french values

Honestly.  I am not defending him at all.  i find this highly amusing in how these parties will now be scrambling to attack or defend it.  But there is likely zero innocence amongst our MPs as a whole in regards to stuff like this.

Edited by Warhippy
  • Hydration 1

oh man it's seriously not been 4 days

"As long as someone takes responsibility for what they've said, and addresses the fact that in 2019 some things that may have been said in the past are inappropriate today, that if anything that they've ever said in the past caused any type of hurt or disrespect to one community or another and have apologized for that, I accept that,"   "I accept the fact that people make mistakes in the past and can own up to that and accept that." "I believe many Canadians, most Canadians, recognize that people can say things in the past, when they're younger, at a different time in their life, that they would not say today."  Scheer said to reporters during an overnight flight on his campaign plane from Ottawa to Vancouver.

This really didn't age well like at all  :bigblush:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nobody is saying it ISN'T racist or does not have RACIST connotations.  

But

I dare say if we look at the literal thousands upon thousands of costumes worn over the decades of cumulative halloween's and costume parties that our Mps have  been alive through, you're damned straight going to find some ugly stuff

Most likely

endless cultural appropriation

sultry costumes leading to "sl*t shaming"

cross dressing leading to making fun of the lgbtq community

outfits of significance to canadian culture or mocking of french values

That doesn't justify any of it though lol

Kudos to Trudeau though - took responsibility, didn't deflect blame. Still a racist thing to do.

• Upvote 1

WTF, Is't this a case of the US tampering our elections???

Why would a US media outlet put this story out now?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, thejazz97 said:

Kudos to Trudeau though - took responsibility, didn't deflect blame. Still a racist thing to do.

not saying it's justified at all.  I just love pointing out the blatant hypocrisy.  As if the people who are going to defend Trudeau or attack him are innocent of things like this.

Those defending him have done stuff like this.  Those attacking him will have done stuff like this.

He can accept blame all he wants, he screwed himself so hard.  Obviously this will most likely not dent the polls much at all.  But it sure makes him look frigging stupid.

He can always take a long sip out of one of those water box straw plastic box type things to compose himself :bigblush:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, blaise said:

WTF, Is't this a case of the US tampering our elections???

Why would a US media outlet put this story out now?

US outlet didn't, someone from the school trudeau worked at did, released this photo to literally everyone who would listen or would pay the most.  Time stepped up with the $$$

The article details how the picture of Trudeau appears in the 2000-01 yearbook of the West Point Grey Academy, a private school in Vancouver. 

Time Magazine said Vancouver businessman Michael Adamson, who was a part of the West Point Grey Academy community, brought the photograph to the magazine's attention because he said he thought it should be made public. 

And EVERYONE is listening.

Really curious as to the motivation on this one from their stand point.  It's been almost 2 decades.  This could have sunk trudeau at any time.  Why now?  Election time aside.  it's likely to not impact minds or sway votes much but why now?

Edited by Warhippy

"I was at an Arabian Nights Halloween party 18 years ago. I wore some dark makeup. It was for fun and nothing more. Context matters. Consistent actions and personal character speaks far louder than any single instance ever could no matter how you want to label it. End of discussion." 

That's all he had to say. Context matters, folks. It really does. I don't like Trudeau much but I don't have a problem with what he did. Not even a little bit. Is he racist? No. Was he being racist? No. Was it his intention to be racist? He could've done a far better job than that, but highly unlikely that was his intention. If someone, anyone white, black, brown, purple, whomever; wants to dress up like a Scotsman (because my background is Scottish), and wear a kilt, and drink beer or wear a big fake red beard, or whatever, who gives a $&!#. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, Violator said:

Yes

I guess i am not easily offended.     

Do you ever watch saturday night live or is  SNL just offensive for you to watch it..... 

Edited by kingofsurrey

58 minutes ago, inane said:

Will last Sunday Scheer have the same attitude today? 

"As long as someone takes responsibility for what they've said, and addresses the fact that in 2019 some things that may have been said in the past are inappropriate today, that if anything that they've ever said in the past caused any type of hurt or disrespect to one community or another and have apologized for that, I accept that," Scheer said to reporters during an overnight flight on his campaign plane from Ottawa to Vancouver."

Stay tuned! 

Basti for scheer

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

I guess i am not easily offended.     

Do you ever watch saturday night live or is  SNL just offensive for you to watch it..... 

Snl is boring and to corporate nbc so both sides barely get it these days.

Kids in the hall

Mad tv

Sctv

In living color

All were superior to anything from saturday night live

• Hydration 1

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I was going to post the below response lol

Scheer has said that literal years of homophobic, transphobic and racist comments made on social media and in public are ok as long as the person apologizes so...lets see if he walks the walk :p

My favorite part of this is the blatant hypocrisy in the right.

Literally ANYONE else having done this over the past 18 months:  OMG it's a costume, stop being so sensitive, it doesn't mean anything.  Jeez guys you're all being snowflakes.  it's not really racist.

Literally today:  OMG did you see what trudeau did?  he needs to step down.  That's awful

I absolutely love it.  For once there is something they can sink their teeth in to., but they literally cannot because Scheer JUST said it's ok if he apologizes and there's a history of the right over the past 2 years saying stop freaking out about it because it's really nothing.  Freedom of expression.

This is finally getting entertaining

Theres hypocrisy on both sides of this. On the left some dig for anything to label someone as intolerant, and always push the identity politics. How is anything Sheer or the right said justification for this? This photo has nothing to do with them. I thought these stories were to be expected fom the right? Not the side that condemns them.

I honestly cant imagine the reaction if it was Sheer, or Bernier (probably have him kicked out of the debates).

I think these stories are often made too much of, but in this case its a tough look for Trudeau & the liberals. I give him props for owning up to the other story, and this 'scandal' wont be the difference in me choosing who to vote for. (Or even a factor)

Edited by Smashian Kassian

33 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

My only question out of this in between laughing.

is why the principal sought fit to just release this NOW out of literally a decades worth of opportunities to do so.  What is their motivation?

Watching the Cons spin this as "trudeau bad" and the libs spin this as "it was a different time" will be so frigging funny to watch.  For once the Cons will attempt to play the moral card and the Libs will try to play the hey, it was a different time we're sorry our bad card

its like no one wants to win the election. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

"I was at an Arabian Nights Halloween party 18 years ago. I wore some dark makeup. It was for fun and nothing more. Context matters. Consistent actions and personal character speaks far louder than any single instance ever could no matter how you want to label it. End of discussion." 

That's all he had to say. Context matters, folks. It really does. I don't like Trudeau much but I don't have a problem with what he did. Not even a little bit. Is he racist? No. Was he being racist? No. Was it his intention to be racist? He could've done a far better job than that, but highly unlikely that was his intention. If someone, anyone white, black, brown, purple, whomever; wants to dress up like a Scotsman (because my background is Scottish), and wear a kilt, and drink beer or wear a big fake red beard, or whatever, who gives a $&!#. 

I cant stand Trudeau at all but these kind of things are getting ridiculous. Pulling out a picture from that many years ago and trying to hold them to the cross now is not very fair regardless of who it is.... The only thing that Im happy about is that hopefully this will stop the left from trying to dig up things from the past and use it against people.

• Like 2

There was a moment 18 years ago... Aladdin? no the Genie. No wait, Aladdin.... 

Then Jagmeet comes out and is like, well, what does that say about how Trudeau thinks about peoples of colour and minorities? Trudeau needs to answer for this. 

Please. The guy does nothing but pander to minorities across the spectrum. &^@# off Jagmeet. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

it was, but looking at the context of the day, he wouldn't have had that notion in mind at all. Which is part of the problem of course. 

He's probably got enough social capital built up that older Canadians won't take this too seriously, but I wonder if he's just flushed the millennial vote? you guys are unforgiving regarding old people context. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it was, but looking at the context of the day, he wouldn't have had that notion in mind at all. Which is part of the problem of course. 

He's probably got enough social capital built up that older Canadians won't take this too seriously, but I wonder if he's just flushed the millennial vote? you guys are unforgiving regarding old people context. 

I'm Gen Z, I can't speak for millennials :ph34r:

It's obviously not a good look. He doesn't have a pattern of racist behaviour though, so I don't think we can judge him as racist - just ignorant.

• Hydration 1