Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

let the CPC yell all they want, we happen to live in a parliamentary democracy.

Unless Scheer wins a majority he's gone anyway and the CPC will be looking to re-tool, and we'll see what kind of bite Bernier takes out of them too.

Best thing that happens for the country is for Bernier to take the ignorant bigot vote and force the CPC away from the social conservatism.  Would be nice to be able to vote for a fiscally conservative party without concern that they are going attempt to destroy what makes Canada great with their cro-magnon social policies.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I actually liked the way Trump just didn’t give a F and took a massive, steaming coiler right on the face of every PC-covenant he could, or as it appeared to be at the time. 

I liked the way he mocked the underbelly of sleazy sleazy politics and tactics. Sure, the guy was a douche, but I’d rather a douche than a pussy like our drama queen.

But Turmp is not only sleazy but also a douche and a liar and the pusher of fear and the most divisive leader in the world, mostly to his own people.

Justin may be a drama 'person' ( haha) but he is not a pussy. He will literally fight you. Are there any other Canadian politicians that took it to  the ring besides his losing opponent?

My vote goes to anyone who makes each Canadian own their decisions and behaviours and ends tribalism in the guise of diversity through identity politics. We are equal under the Law - end of. On with actual business, exports or something. 

hear hear....who is that? which party?

I’m not very good with politics. I’ve been confronted with my own ignorance in here enough times by guys like Jimmy or Hippy to understand just how base my convictions were at the time. 

All good my friend, there are some great political minds on CDC, I learn along with you.

It’s either admit that or be the guy plagiarizing or borrowing from the internet to stay afloat in a discussion, which I assume is the norm, but seems utterly pretentious. 

I actually learn something in these threads, but it’s tough to sort through the pomp here to find the good stuff. 

I don't know who you are knocking here but I agree to some extent. Skim over the posts that seem disingenuous,'Illegitimi non carborundum'

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Ya I definitely would bet on JT over Trump in a punchface match

1st round KO easily. 

Scheer I give even odds to but he would be an 11-1 underdog vs Elizabeth May. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

be careful what you wish for. There's as much biased ideology in following Jordan Peterson as there is in so-called identity politics. 

I don't know if I'd go that far. Identity politics is pushed today to divide people, what its become is counter intuitive to political discourse. Including social issues.

Peterson's not just a political figure, he's focused quite a bit on trying to help young people get their lives in order. I think you could take some positive from that while not necessarily agreeing with or intently following all his views.

I get where your coming from on Peterson, but I think the comp is a little off. JP's an individual with viewpoints & biases as you say, whereas IP is pitting groups of people against each other.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Conservatives not exactly sending BC their best and brightest:

Cloverdale-Langley City Conservative candidate Tamara Jansen:

Jansen is a prominent social conservative and anti-abortion activist who is a senior member of ARPA Canada — a political arm of Reformed Christian churches — which says its mission is to “bring a biblical perspective to our civil authorities.”
The Conservative candidate has been a vocal critic of abortion and assisted-dying, but she’s been outspoken on a few other issues too.
For example, on multiple occasions, Jansen has promoted obscure blogs on the topic of “Young Earth Creationism” — the idea God literally created the Earth in six days only a few thousand years ago. One creationist blog Jansen shared, titled “a defence of six-day creation,” states: “Yes, scientific theories do appear to discredit that creation account. But be patient. In time it will be seen that those humble Bible believers were right all along: it was a six-day creation.”
“What is the remedy?” the blog asks. “I will tell you that too. A return to God’s Word! We had science for the sake of science, and got the World War.”
“It is entirely true that World War II was, in the deepest sense, a result of widespread acceptance of the doctrine of human evolution,” the blog elaborates elsewhere.
The blog cites the work of a creationist science professor whom Jansen said she was “very honoured” to throw a dinner party for a few weeks earlier.
Another creationist blog that was promoted by the Conservative candidate states scientists have a “blatant anti-Christian bias” and claims there is a “lack of definitive scientific evidence of evolution and an old earth, despite years and years of biased study and the teaching of evolution as fact in schools.”

She told her Facebook friends CO2 levels could rise up to 45,000 ppm and everyone would be okay — even though CO2 becomes lethal to breathe around 40,000 ppm.

Burnaby-North Seymour Conservative candidate Heather Leung

• believes that procuring or performing an abortion should be re-crimiminalized;

• believes that even victims of incestuous rape should be forced by the state to bring their rapist's spawn to term;

• believes that assisted suicide should be re-criminalized;

• agitated against the legalization of marijuana, right up until the final vote that made the Cannabis Act the law of the land;

• believes that public schools should be prohibited from teaching sex education, on the grounds that it presents information about homosexuality, and therefore seeks to "convert children to the gay lifestyle"; and finally, that she

• has condemned Victoria's recent SOGI initiative, the intent of which is to prevent BC's LGBTQ students from being bullied in their own schools by teachers and classmates alike. Leung again condemns the program because it includes clearly presented facts about the nature of homosexuality, and other non-traditional variations of the human sexual condition - and therefore contains a secret agenda of "converting" students.

• was also involved in a parent's group which later spread rumours that schools were injecting gay serum that would turn kids homosexual

• doctoring a Mercer post

Where are they finding these morons? This is just in our backyard too. 

If the Conservatives want to win, how about putting up candidates that aren't stuck in the stone age?

Pretty sure the cpc is sitting at 50% in BC pretty decent lead. 

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know if I'd go that far. Identity politics is pushed today to divide people, what its become is counter intuitive to political discourse. Including social issues.

Peterson's not just a political figure, he's focused quite a bit on trying to help young people get their lives in order. I think you could take some positive from that while not necessarily agreeing with or intently following all his views.

I get where your coming from on Peterson, but I think the comp is a little off. JP's an individual with viewpoints & biases as you say, whereas IP is pitting groups of people against each other.

with Peterson's stuff, if people are finding some personal strength from it thats great, but  it seems to me like a lot of people also like to use it to both claim that others aren't taking responsibility for themselves, or use it for things like telling first nations people to 'get over it' and things like that. Maybe we need a Peterson thread :lol: 

On the identity politics stuff.... can you explain why its OK for the right to use it but not the left? The conservative movement, particularly the more recent social conservatives use identify all the time. They tell us what a proper family is. They've wrapped themselves in church much of the time. Just look at what comes out of Alberta in their whole mythology of Alberta vs the world and how they work harder and "do more" etc. All of that is wrapped up in a persons identity. Trump has taken it further than here, but white nationalism isn't a left leaning idea and it is on the rise here too. 

If you can explain to me how the rights use of identity is somehow different or better than the left I'd like to hear it.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

I guess the real benefit of beliefs is that they don't have to make sense. I'm so happy that Trinity Western was denied accreditation for their so-called law school. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree. At first, I didn't quite get Peterson's approach, but recently I've developed a greater appreciation for him.

Sadly, he's checked himself into rehab recently to get help in getting off of the anti-anxiety drug clonazepam. He began using it when his wife was diagnosed with cancer. She's since made a strong recovery. All the best to Jordan in his recovery.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Pretty sure the cpc is sitting at 50% in BC pretty decent lead. 

33.5%

Point is, it could be higher if they left the dolts out of their party. Don't know why they bring along these anchors.

35 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I agree. At first, I didn't quite get Peterson's approach, but recently I've developed a greater appreciation for him.

Sadly, he's checked himself into rehab recently to get help in getting off of the anti-anxiety drug clonazepam. He began using it when his wife was diagnosed with cancer. She's since made a strong recovery. All the best to Jordan in his recovery.

Get well soon, Jonathan. 

52 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

33.5%

Point is, it could be higher if they left the dolts out of their party. Don't know why they bring along these anchors.

it plays in the valley. 

@Ryan Strome the seat projections in BC are all over the map. The CPC range right now is anywhere from 14 to 30 seats! no one knows how BC will break, it might actually make a huge difference this year in who takes power. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Maybe we need a Peterson thread :lol: 

I could get in on that. :lol: I've been an on-again-off-again fan of his. On one hand, he's a brilliant mind who's out to say what some people need to hear and isn't about to apologize for it (people more and more are in need of a good kick in the rump to rethink their values), but on the other hand... He's made some missteps publicly (the picture posing with the "proud Islamophobe" shirt guy — what reaction was he expecting?) and his ideas are prone to being twisted into something they're not by people who are looking for a boon to validate their hatred, and we know how dangerous that can be. Plus, too many people seem to be unable to listen to him explain some of his stances, for example say the preferred personal pronoun thing. People get outraged because they think he's anti-trans, which if you've ever listened to him explain his viewpoint on the issue, he really doesn't appear to be. But it's been a while since I've read up much on him — maybe a video's leaked of him "Mel Gibsoning" the trans community by now, I don't know. :lol:

I like the guy, but I understand why he isn't popular to certain sects of people. I hope he sticks around the public sphere though; He's kind of a unique figure who at the very least poses an occasional refreshing dose of reality.

... Something election times seem to largely do away with. Now back on topic. :ph34r:

• Hydration 3
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Best thing that happens for the country is for Bernier to take the ignorant bigot vote and force the CPC away from the social conservatism.  Would be nice to be able to vote for a fiscally conservative party without concern that they are going attempt to destroy what makes Canada great with their cro-magnon social policies.

Except, when has any Canadian Conservative party actually been fiscally conservative? They talk a good game but...

So if they can't even offer that and they tend to present a very bass-ackwards socially conservative platform...what are they actually bringing to the table? The only people who should really vote for them as presently constructed are right wing religious zealots who own major corporations. They're basically opposed to everyone else's best interests. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Cloverdale-Langley City Conservative candidate Tamara Jansen:

Jansen is a prominent social conservative and anti-abortion activist who is a senior member of ARPA Canada — a political arm of Reformed Christian churches — which says its mission is to “bring a biblical perspective to our civil authorities.”
The Conservative candidate has been a vocal critic of abortion and assisted-dying, but she’s been outspoken on a few other issues too.
For example, on multiple occasions, Jansen has promoted obscure blogs on the topic of “Young Earth Creationism” — the idea God literally created the Earth in six days only a few thousand years ago. One creationist blog Jansen shared, titled “a defence of six-day creation,” states: “Yes, scientific theories do appear to discredit that creation account. But be patient. In time it will be seen that those humble Bible believers were right all along: it was a six-day creation.”
“What is the remedy?” the blog asks. “I will tell you that too. A return to God’s Word! We had science for the sake of science, and got the World War.”
“It is entirely true that World War II was, in the deepest sense, a result of widespread acceptance of the doctrine of human evolution,” the blog elaborates elsewhere.
The blog cites the work of a creationist science professor whom Jansen said she was “very honoured” to throw a dinner party for a few weeks earlier.
Another creationist blog that was promoted by the Conservative candidate states scientists have a “blatant anti-Christian bias” and claims there is a “lack of definitive scientific evidence of evolution and an old earth, despite years and years of biased study and the teaching of evolution as fact in schools.”

She told her Facebook friends CO2 levels could rise up to 45,000 ppm and everyone would be okay — even though CO2 becomes lethal to breathe around 40,000 ppm.

Burnaby-North Seymour Conservative candidate Heather Leung

• believes that procuring or performing an abortion should be re-crimiminalized;

• believes that even victims of incestuous rape should be forced by the state to bring their rapist's spawn to term;

• believes that assisted suicide should be re-criminalized;

• agitated against the legalization of marijuana, right up until the final vote that made the Cannabis Act the law of the land;

• believes that public schools should be prohibited from teaching sex education, on the grounds that it presents information about homosexuality, and therefore seeks to "convert children to the gay lifestyle"; and finally, that she

• has condemned Victoria's recent SOGI initiative, the intent of which is to prevent BC's LGBTQ students from being bullied in their own schools by teachers and classmates alike. Leung again condemns the program because it includes clearly presented facts about the nature of homosexuality, and other non-traditional variations of the human sexual condition - and therefore contains a secret agenda of "converting" students.

• was also involved in a parent's group which later spread rumours that schools were injecting gay serum that would turn kids homosexual

• doctoring a Mercer post

Where are they finding these morons? This is just in our backyard too. 

If the Conservatives want to win, how about putting up candidates that aren't stuck in the stone age?

Conservative politicians are representative of their base. If your base is a bunch of knuckle dragging retards, so will too your politicians. If your base is full of PC crybabies, so will your prime minister. 

I guess Singh won't be getting any Alberta seats... :rolleyes:

Any province could veto a major pipeline under an NDP government, says Singh

An NDP government would grant all provinces veto power over national infrastructure projects that cross their borders, says NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh.

The declaration came after Singh unveiled his party's Quebec platform, which would grant that province veto power over infrastructure projects on its territory, including pipelines.

"I would not impose a project on any province and that means there has to be social acceptability," said Singh in an interview with host Vassy Kapelos on CBC News Network's Power & Politics, set to air Monday night.

"I mean, it should be the fact if we want to move forward with a project, there has to be the buy-in from all the people involved."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/powerandpolitics/jagmeet-singh-ndp-provincial-veto-pipeline-1.5288365

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Except, when has any Canadian Conservative party actually been fiscally conservative? They talk a good game but...

So if they can't even offer that and they tend to present a very bass-ackwards socially conservative platform...what are they actually bringing to the table? The only people who should really vote for them as presently constructed are right wing religious zealots who own major corporations. They're basically opposed to everyone else's best interests. 

anger, mostly impotent. There hasn't been a PC party with a big idea since Mulroney (regardless of whether you liked them or not).

• Hydration 1

Have the green released their budget yet? Watched the platform release & I'd like a better idea of where the moneys coming from for their ambitious ideas.

I'm curious about all parties on this topic. They seem to all be promising more spending, tax credits, exc. Even Cons who I thought wanted to balance the budget.

I'm far from an economist, but affordability is important to me. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian