Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

3 minutes ago, Zach Parise said:

Liberals gonna win this one, only if TRUDEAU scraps the Carbon tax, if not then Conservatives will get majority

Trudeau isn't scrapping the carbon tax.

@Jimmy McGill

I also think Trudeau will announce a winning fighter jet which could also give him a bump in the polls. Although it could get tricky as he said he wouldn't buy the f35 and Boeing may upset Quebecers. A Eurofighter for political gain? It's a good jet but not really what the air force wants.

Posted (edited)

Or maybe he buys the Gripen, save billions and uses that saved money to pay down the defecit.

Edited by Ryan Strome

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Like Shift said I think Conservatives need to hammer away at the defecit. The new nafta is pretty good for Canada so that's a no go for the cpc. It's also worth mentioning that when Trudeau takes on Trump he seems to spike in the polls. Is that an angle the liberals will use?

It's not like the Cons finances were enviable either. 

Edited by aGENT

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Do you see any potential major shifts like Layton in Quebec? I wonder if the provincial governments in Ontario and Quebec may push people to vote conservative there.

Nope none at all.  IN fact I would say Ontario under Ford has lost the centrists.  Ford has turned out to be as laughable thus far as some predicted he would be.  QWuebec is the outlier because they respond very well to dog whistle strategies that target the loss of Quebecs identity.

But really, I don't see Scheer having much of a chance outside of the Prairie provinces and parts of Quebec/Ontario of drawing in that "shift"

43 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I think the big issue will actually be finances. Liberals said they would only run deficits of $10B. They failed on that account.

If economics become a challenge over the coming months for Canada this will give CPC a key topic to hammer Liberals on. Given the Scheer ads I would say the CPC is already positioning themselves for this. No surprise. This is a typical Conservative angle.

Remarkably, Trudeau has an out on the finance side of things.  Oil tanked.  Like flat out tanked.  Credit issues, US trade disputes etc.  he can simply point to our record as still being near leaders in the G8/G20, the lowered debt to GDP ratio and be fine.  For as mucvh as people want to say he's been bad, the economy is still in fact humming along nicely..

IF!  Economics become a real issue though, he does have a secret weapon in Scheer himself.  Because much of his economic policies have in fact been abridged or amended versions of the prior government.  It wouldn't be a stretch for him to say "if it's so bad, then why did you create it?" which while aeeming to be a poor choice of argument is still very valid and fresh in the minds of most Canadians when we can look at almost $200 BILLION in debt created by the Harper government with interest rates at historic lows and very little to show for it.

Hell, he can even pin part of the oil/pipeline issues on Scheer as well. 

That is a huge part of the reason why replacing a party leader with such a formerly visible person is such a problem.  Scheer as speaker of the house had to have his signature on essentially everything,  Any issues within the first 18 months to two years of Golden Boys time as PM can be tied back to Scheer/Harper.  The last two years True Dough alone, if True Dough obtains another majority it's all him and there's no excuses for it.

But that typical angle could very very quickly backfire on Scheer

57 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

@Jimmy McGill

I also think Trudeau will announce a winning fighter jet which could also give him a bump in the polls. Although it could get tricky as he said he wouldn't buy the f35 and Boeing may upset Quebecers. A Eurofighter for political gain? It's a good jet but not really what the air force wants.

If he was smart (if) he would announce a partnership with Airbus via Bombardier and be building the Eurofighter or be part of the new European joint fighter project thus ensuring jobs, R&D money and a finger in the air to Boeing/Lockheed and the US machine.

That alone would win him plenty of support

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think Harper early on paid a significant amount towards the debt using surplus money. Then the recession hit and he borrowed and all the sudden it became so easy to run up debt.

It's so easy to borrow but it's harder than hell to get out of debt.

yup. Like I said above, if you're going to deficit spend as policy it had better be backed up with a compelling reason. Morneau has done a poor job on that. Maybe its because hes a crappy communicator but the Lib's are very weak on this front. 

32 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If he was smart (if) he would announce a partnership with Airbus via Bombardier and be building the Eurofighter or be part of the new European joint fighter project thus ensuring jobs, R&D money and a finger in the air to Boeing/Lockheed and the US machine.

That alone would win him plenty of support

^ that would be a very good idea. @Ryan Strome might be onto something there. But I have my doubts about this gov'ts ability to spend properly when it comes to defence unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Trudeau isn't scrapping the carbon tax.

Nobody will scrap the carbon tax.if a new government gets in at the provincial or federal level.they will look at how much it brings in and keep it.

2 minutes ago, Violator said:

Nobody will scrap the carbon tax.if a new government gets in at the provincial or federal level.they will look at how much it brings in and keep it.

Scheer will come in, tinker slightly and call it cap and trade.

I enjoy how people in Scheers camp forget the cap and trade days but rip on a carbon tax

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Or maybe he buys the Gripen, save billions and uses that saved money to pay down the defecit.

This was one of the reasons of why the Brazilian Air Force got the Gripen NG

It's a small yet versatile machine with some STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) capabilities (for a fighter) isn't expensive and will be locally produced by Embraer with improvements (Gripen NG BR) and even the naval version of it (SEA GRIPEN BR) 

The F35 is too expensive, Super Hornet is good but also expensive not to buy but to maintain, Rafale is a good choice given the Join venture between Bombardier and Airbus but it's also expensive 

And since Canada will not buy some Sukhois SU30 unless an Alien invasion occurs we know Russian fighters are out of option...

Many people underestimate the Gripen but personally I think it's a good fighter 

Who cares, most politicians are working for big corporations and not for the people.All the public relations firms are doing their thing for all parties,to spin it the way big money tells them to, and here out West we are barely even taken into consideration.It is like our votes don't count.

My Dad always said politicians are a notch lower than child molesters,

If they were to do their jobs and not blatantly lie or promise everything and then once elected do whatever the big money tells them to do, we would be far better off.

Just look how that P.R. campaign went, all of a sudden millions of dollars from big money showed up and the people lost out again,because big money don't want the power to go to the people like it was supposed to be.Just so FU$%^ING CORRUPT!

Well that's my rant for the new year.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually Paul Martin did reduce the debt, so every few decades we do get a competent financial manager. 

But who cares? What did that accomplish? Whether we're a billion or 3 billion or 10 billion in debt, does it matter? Like to the day to day life of joe average?

When there are so many things happening that directly influence people's lives, I don't know why this theoretical number means anything.

is there another election other then the federal one?

what do you guys think of bernier's new party? imo I think it will spit the con voters. ndp/libs will be spit to with the whole carbon tax and pipeline issue going on. green might get a few seats but I think its up for anyone.

23 minutes ago, inane said:

But who cares? What did that accomplish? Whether we're a billion or 3 billion or 10 billion in debt, does it matter? Like to the day to day life of joe average?

When there are so many things happening that directly influence people's lives, I don't know why this theoretical number means anything.

Lower debt.  Lower costs to maintain that debt.  That money could go to programs or cut your taxes.  So ya, paying down the debt is a good idea.  Stevo didn't get that message and blew through all the positive progress JC and PM made by running over $150 billion during Stevo's reign of error. 

And just to preemptively counter the obligatory JT retort,  I'm not a fan of his deficits.   That being said, we all know what would happen if JT raised taxes to pre-Stevo levels to correct the deficit problem.  So before you bitch about JT's deficits,  Stevo deserves virtually all your ire.

6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Lower debt.  Lower costs to maintain that debt.  That money could go to programs or cut your taxes.  So ya, paying down the debt is a good idea.  Stevo didn't get that message and blew through all the positive progress JC and PM made by running over $150 billion during Stevo's reign of error. 

And just to preemptively counter the obligatory JT retort,  I'm not a fan of his deficits.   That being said, we all know what would happen if JT raised taxes to pre-Stevo levels to correct the deficit problem.  So before you bitch about JT's deficits,  Stevo deserves virtually all your ire.

It's all just bs. Everyone owes everyone billions and no one can actually pay it back. All theoretical bs unless real substantive change comes which won't without revolution.

2 minutes ago, inane said:

It's all just bs. Everyone owes everyone billions and no one can actually pay it back. All theoretical bs unless real substantive change comes which won't without revolution.

B.s.  except the annual interest payments on our debt are real.  Here:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/annual-interest-on-canadas-government-debt-translates-into-7000-for-a-family-of-four

"In 2016/17, interest payments on the federal debt will total $25 billion, which is more than what Ottawa plans to spend on transfers to Canadian families in the form of children benefits ($22 billion). It’s also equivalent to the federal government’s planned budgetary deficit ($25 billion). Put differently, in the absence of federal interest payments, Ottawa could wipe out its deficit this year, despite its marked increase in program spending."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, inane said:

And that likely won't happen either because while people will bitch about increased costs and etc, they have their faces glued to their phone two minutes later and continue right on with being shafted. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

B.s.  except the annual interest payments on our debt are real.  Here:

https://www.fraserinstitute.org/article/annual-interest-on-canadas-government-debt-translates-into-7000-for-a-family-of-four

"In 2016/17, interest payments on the federal debt will total $25 billion, which is more than what Ottawa plans to spend on transfers to Canadian families in the form of children benefits ($22 billion). It’s also equivalent to the federal government’s planned budgetary deficit ($25 billion). Put differently, in the absence of federal interest payments, Ottawa could wipe out its deficit this year, despite its marked increase in program spending."

Sure, but my point is nothing will change. We've had billions in debt for years so who cares 

edit. and the fraser institute? :blink:

Edited by inane