Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

27 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Unless the polls are horribly wrong,  Mr. Trudeau will still be PM on Tuesday simply because of one simple reason:   The LIBs lead the CONS in Ontario and Quebec in almost every single poll.   Its just math:  Ontario and Quebec combined:  128 + 78 seats = 199 seats out 338 seats.  That is almost 60% of the seats in Canada.   Even if Trudeau wins 1/2 of the Ontario/Quebec seats he is on the way to a minority government since Atlantic Canada is solidly Liberal.

It does not really matter what happens in the West.  The power has always been in the East since Confederation and beyond.

The only thing holding back Trudeau is the rise in Bloc support that will make him lose some seats in Quebec.  Without the Bloc, the Liberals will get a clear majority.

As for the Tories, they need a new leader if they can't beat Trudeau with so many scandals.   It is their fault they chose a leader with as much personality as a wet dish cloth.   I am sure any Tory leader besides Scheer will do better at defeating Trudeau.

Yes, and no......  I do agree that Scheer will need to be replaced but I dont think a different leader would have helped much. If people can still reward JT with a vote for the Liberals after all these scandals then there wouldnt be anything that can sway there mind.

27 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

BQ today is not like the BQ of Pierre's days..

Current BQ have no plans for referendum.  Taxes and immigration / language/culture is more the BQ's current agenda...   Hard to blame them as a french island in an English ocean of North America... Of course they are concerned about the protection of their culture / language. 

The real separatists now are in Alberta......

The bloc is a separatist party and PET hated the separatist probably more than any other PM.

You always claim PET was the best, he himself said Quebec is NOT a distinct society!

Chretien and the liberals wanted PET to stay quiet during the referendum as he clearly stated Quebec doesn't not need special privileges. 

8 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I agree, sending billions out East is a reckless way to spend. 

I love the ones that walk right into it..:towel:

53 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

You mean what we always get for it because the people who gladly take our money are blocking us and making the US richer.

It's cute you think it would be any different...:lol:

39 minutes ago, TheAce said:

Yes, and no......  I do agree that Scheer will need to be replaced but I dont think a different leader would have helped much. If people can still reward JT with a vote for the Liberals after all these scandals then there wouldnt be anything that can sway there mind.

Sad but true.  That's what you get when you have to run against a "celebrity" who gets a pass on scandals no other political leader can take.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Umm Don the bloc is projected to win at least 37 seats one poll has them above 40 seats. The maritimes will likely be a split and the liberals may not win even a single seat in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba and maybe only a dozen in BC. He will need separatist support and wow that would make his dad roll over in his grave.

Ontario is the big prize with 128 seats.  If the Libs do well there they will form government.  Most polls show the LIBs with a lead over Cons in Ontario.  In the GTA area which has more seats than all of BC combined,  some polls show the Libs with a double digit lead.

6 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Ontario is the big prize with 128 seats.  If the Libs do well there they will form government.  Most polls show the LIBs with a lead over Cons in Ontario.  In the GTA area which has more seats than all of BC combined,  some polls show the Libs with a double digit lead.

I'm not disagreeing on that I'm just saying I don't think the libs and ndp can do it. I think they need the bloc and it's very tricky using the bloc. The same goes for the cpc also.

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's cute you think it would be any different...:lol:

Can you read? 

I said it wouldn't be different. 

:lol: @aGENT 

13 minutes ago, inane said:

This is pretty funny

It is really funny and admittedly the ndp has a few good ideas, specifically a 15% national foreign buyers tax.

But it's that 60 billion in new spending that is terrifying. 

8 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Can you read? 

I said it wouldn't be different. 

:lol: @aGENT 

Clearly worth separating then. So much to gain....

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't mean to be rude but you live in a province that is seen by the rest of Canada as..ahh nm I'm not going to finish.lol

Btw can we stop give 27 billion dollars a year to Ottawa? Can you guys actually make a livable wage so you can cover our share to Ottawa?

Somehow, some way the dialogue on AB has to be re-set. Is AB important? yup. Does AB "carry Canada?". Certainly not, even Harper said so. Is AB the scourge of the earth? nope. 

You'd think we could find a middle ground in all that. We have to find a way to dial back the hyperbole otherwise its just going to be more of the same. Its like we need a truth and reconciliation commission on the oil and gas industry. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Somehow, some way the dialogue on AB has to be re-set. Is AB important? yup. Does AB "carry Canada?". Certainly not, even Harper said so. Is AB the scourge of the earth? nope. 

You'd think we could find a middle ground in all that. We have to find a way to dial back the hyperbole otherwise its just going to be more of the same. Its like we need a truth and reconciliation commission on the oil and gas industry. 

Biggest problem I see is any criticism (constructive, warranted or otherwise) or request to compromise, seems to be met with a 'take our ball and go home' mentality.

As far as I can tell, the rest of Canada largely, simply wants continued progress, modernization, and diversity from oil and gas (smart IMO) and some compromise regarding environmental risk vs profits. 

Edited by aGENT

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Biggest problem I see is any criticism (constructive, warranted or otherwise) or request to compromise, seems to be met with a 'take our ball and go home' mentality.

As far as I can tell, the rest of Canada largely, simply wants continued progress, modernization, and diversity from oil and gas (smart IMO) and some compromise regarding environmental risk vs profits. 

So until then, we will just continue to import oil from countries who have no regulations and substandard human rights issues ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAce said:

So until then, we will just continue to import oil from countries who have no regulations and substandard human rights issues ?

That's not my idea but until Alberta stops taking it's ball and going home, we're left to play with the kids who stay. Even if they're kinda dicks.

But this is exactly what I'm talking about (and presumably Jimmy). Alberta seems to want nothing to do with compromise or partnership. Doesn't leave the rest of us with much choice.

Edited by aGENT

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That's not my idea but until Alberta stops taking it's ball and going home, we're left to play with the kids who stay. Even if they're kinda dicks.

But this is exactly what I'm talking about (and presumably Jimmy). Alberta seems to want nothing to do with compromise or partnership. Doesn't leave the rest of us with much choice.

I think this is exactly what Alberta wants though. Partnership of some kind.  For years and years Alberta has been paying billions to other provinces which is fine because its for the greater good of the country, however if other provinces want to reap the benefits of Alberta's money, do you not think they should then be supporting them as well ?  Is it fair that Quebec recieves billions from Alberta but then buys oil from Saudi Arabia ?  Right now, pipelines are probably the most efficient and safest way to export oil yet its a fight to get it done. All this money that could be made, would be a great way of funding greener, and safer environmental projects. So instead of fighting it or not buying from Alberta why dont we work together to figure out a solution that benefits everyone ? 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TheAce said:

I think this is exactly what Alberta wants though. Partnership of some kind.  For years and years Alberta has been paying billions to other provinces which is fine because its for the greater good of the country, however if other provinces want to reap the benefits of Alberta's money, do you not think they should then be supporting them as well ?  Is it fair that Quebec recieves billions from Alberta but then buys oil from Saudi Arabia ?  Right now, pipelines are probably the most efficient and safest way to export oil yet its a fight to get it done. All this money that could be made, would be a great way of funding greener, and safer environmental projects. So instead of fighting it or not buying from Alberta why dont we work together to figure out a solution that benefits everyone ? 

Do you want the pipeline running through your backyard ? 

Do you want a oil sea terminal in your swimming pool or in the lake where you have a cottage ?

Do you think an oil spill in Vancouver harbour could hurt our tourism industry ?

Just a few simple questions for you ?

26 minutes ago, TheAce said:

Other Provinces... Alberta's money...us vs them... as usual.

We're all the same country FYI.

Pipelines are the safest and most efficient. Problem being, you want to run them over OUR  land to OUR coastline (while we're us vs them'ing). That doesn't make it solely YOUR oil anymore or YOUR money. Until Alberta realizes that and quits with the 'poor me, we make so much money that we pay more taxes' and 'it's OUR oil/money' routines, we're stuck going exactly nowhere and continuing to buy oil from a-holes.

Learn to play nice or we all lose.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

this is why I have a big issue with the western alienation pity party. Its ultimately self defeating. 

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

Do you want the pipeline running through your backyard ? 

Do you want a oil sea terminal in your swimming pool or in the lake where you have a cottage ?

Do you think an oil spill in Vancouver harbour could hurt our tourism industry ?

Just a few simple questions for you ?

we already have some. A big one in north burnaby and at one helps supply YVR. I'm probably missing one or two.

We already have a large active shipping terminal. Two actually. 

With the increased safety from the TMX project the risk of a spill damaging the south coast will be greatly reduced KOS. We have 30+ small to medium sized tankers per day already, one more per day of AB oil isn't a big increase but we get all the safety that we currently don't have. 

I think if you look at the TMX project from a safety impact perspective its hard not to look at it as a positive. 

• Hydration 1