Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

11 minutes ago, Duds said:

Popular vote:

Liberals: 33.2%

Conservatives: 34.3%

This is why Trudeau wouldn’t consider proportional representation for his electoral reform promise

Make no mistake, the Conservatives don't want it either.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Maybe that would be a good thing , no ?

Well he is a liberal supporter that suddenly wouldn't want it and I think it's clear why. 

:bigblush:

Just now, Wilbur said:

Make no mistake, the Conservatives don't want it either.

They have never campaigned on it, that was JT and the liberals that campaigned on it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Maybe that would be a good thing , no ?

It is a double edge sword. On one hand you get policies that will be stomach-able for everyone but at the same time it might just end up in endless cycle of elections and nothing gets down.

They say elections are won in Ontario and Quebec and again they were right.  Most of the Liberal winning seats were in Central Canada.

Again, the Liberals swept the GTA with 905 code.  That is why they won the election again.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol the chin.

In this case it might be better. JT lost big in Quebec to separatist and lost big in Western Canada. When was the last time there has been such division? He is going to have a tough job.

Didn't his old man only have like two seats west of the Ontario once during one of his stints as PM?  (course my memory isn't what it used to be).

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

They say elections are won in Ontario and Quebec and again they were right.  Most of the Liberal winning seats were in Central Canada.

Again, the Liberals swept the GTA with 905 code.  That is why they won the election again.

Doug Ford probably helped do a number on the Cons Ontario chances.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MikeBossy said:

Can't we just get Quebec to separate then problem solved :D

Quebec is the nicest part of Canada. No thanks

Just now, Duodenum said:

Doug Ford probably helped do a number on the Cons Ontario chances.

I thought he kept a rather low profile during this election (lol....for him anyways).

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

The people or the place?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have been watching the CBC coverage and I agree with one of the talking heads there who stated that the Convservatives didn't try to reach out to collect new voters, but rather just try to ignite their base.  Conservative base is large but not large enough to win a majority government alone.

I agree and disagree with the statement they made.

I feel like they could of but I also feel like more people are becoming conservative regardless. I am a millennial and I don't know whether or not I can speak for the entirety but from my experience I have witnessed a lot of people, younger people, switch from the left to the right over this last term. This includes myself. This change has been slow.

I think that overtime the conservative base is gonna get a lot bigger but the conservative party can definitely branch out a lot more than they are and accelerate that process. As of now though most of Canada is left and it might not change for the near future.

Personally I did't like the conservative campaign. There campaign lacked informativeness and was meant to target the opposition more so. That hurt them this election.

• Upvote 4

22 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Are you joking?

Awww Stromer I know you are all salty after all the grandstanding you did a week ago when Scheer was polling higher but no need to get cranky. I am not a Conservative party member or supporter - was just repeating what I heard about McKay. Maybe Kevin O'Leary is available :P

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I thought he kept a rather low profile during this election (lol....for him anyways).

He tried to but Trudeau kept bringing his name up.  It worked too as someone on TV said 57% of people surveyed said Doug Ford affected their vote.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Problem is they don't consider themselves part of Canada - they consider themselves a separate nation.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yea the fed cons probably told him to shut up during the election campaign.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Duds said:

The people or the place?

Both.  Small town quebec and the Eastern townships are simply amazing . People and the towns. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I feel like they could of but I also feel like more people are becoming conservative regardless.

"If you’re not a liberal when you’re 25, you have no heart.  If you’re not a conservative by the time you’re 35, you have no brain."

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

I'm really interest what is the turnout in the prairies compared to the rest of the country. Have a hunch that the turnout from Alberta and Saskatchewan is probably disproportionate from the rest of the country.

We probably should go to proportional representation but be split the percentages by province instead of the whole country to prevent a renegade province from dictating the election.

You mean renegade provinces like AB/SK vs the mainstream provinces that currently dictate elections like Ontario and Quebec?

• Upvote 1

Just now, MikeBossy said:

Problem is they don't consider themselves part of Canada - they consider themselves a separate nation.

Not really.  Separation is not popular now in Quebec.

They really are mostly interested in protecting the long term viability of their culture.  A french island in a sea of english north america.

I support their desire to keep Quebec a primarily french society / culture. 

• Upvote 1