Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Morneau should be in jail.

Nothing jailable about what he's done.  He's been semi effective at his role thus far.

I'm not a fan of Trudeau, I really am not.  I disagree with much of what he's done regarding hsi attention to Canada and the issues within it.  Far too much time spent in his last 3 years on the world stage repairing our country's image.

For that reason I am hoping he wins another term.  Not to give him carte blanche but to see if he can actually start affecting positive change within the nation.  I've always thought that 2-4 years of governance was always way to short a time for anyone, as it takes 18 months to two years for any legislation or changes to really start working.  Making wholesale change for the sake of making change would be foolish

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Nothing jailable about what he's done.  He's been semi effective at his role thus far.

Insider trading.

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Insider trading.

Investigated by committee and ethics commission and the RCMP investigative team and found free of any illegality.  While optically stupid of him, not illegal at all.  He also then went above and beyond divestiture by completing removing himself and his name from any and all dealings.

Shady sure, illegal sadly no.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Investigated by committee and ethics commission and the RCMP investigative team and found free of any illegality.  While optically stupid of him, not illegal at all.  He also then went above and beyond divestiture by completing removing himself and his name from any and all dealings.

Shady sure, illegal sadly no.

Let's cut the you know what. He passed legislation that would hurt those stocks and just be before it took effect he sold the stocks. 

No finding of wrong doing because it can't be proven but it's pretty clear what happened. Chretien was cleared of wrong doing obviously that wasn't the case. We had conservative senators cleared of wrong doing but I'm willing to bet you didn't accept that.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Let's cut the you know what. He passed legislation that would hurt those stocks and just be before it took effect he sold the stocks. 

No finding of wrong doing because it can't be proven but it's pretty clear what happened. Chretien was cleared of wrong doing obviously that wasn't the case. We had conservative senators cleared of wrong doing but I'm willing to bet you didn't accept that.

Regardless of what WE feel or believe and regardless of how obvious it was, 3 different groups cleared him.  I feel at the least he should have been removed from his position and stepped down.  But what we want isn't important

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Regardless of what WE feel or believe and regardless of how obvious it was, 3 different groups cleared him.  I feel at the least he should have been removed from his position and stepped down.  But what we want isn't important

Well given you said it was shady tells me your opinion on it isn't that much different then mine. Yes he should have been removed and so should Sajjan.

32 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well given you said it was shady tells me your opinion on it isn't that much different then mine. Yes he should have been removed and so should Sajjan.

I look at Morneau the same way I do Poiliverre.  Except Morneau is at least effective ish at his position.

As for Saijan, I don't entirely agree.  he is actually and arguably one of the first few defense ministers to have actually ever served AND commanded troops in the field.  Just because he told one of 4 different stories told by various commanders involved in that mission does not disqualify his experience or talents.  He's way more qualified than Kenney or MacKay ever were or ever would be and going back much further than that

Young

Seddon

Collonette

Campbell

I mean half of any position should be based on your actual experience and looking back you have to go a long LONG way to find a defence minister who had ever actually served let alone commanded troops

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I look at Morneau the same way I do Poiliverre.  Except Morneau is at least effective ish at his position.

As for Saijan, I don't entirely agree.  he is actually and arguably one of the first few defense ministers to have actually ever served AND commanded troops in the field.  Just because he told one of 4 different stories told by various commanders involved in that mission does not disqualify his experience or talents.  He's way more qualified than Kenney or MacKay ever were or ever would be and going back much further than that

Young

Seddon

Collonette

Campbell

I mean half of any position should be based on your actual experience and looking back you have to go a long LONG way to find a defence minister who had ever actually served let alone commanded troops

Just so you know the liberals have a mp who was one of the top dogs in Afghanistan.

Btw you don't have to go that far back. Gordon O'Connor served 30 years in the military and was a brigadier-general.

Edited by Ryan Strome

30 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Just so you know the liberals have a mp who was one of the top dogs in Afghanistan.

Btw you don't have to go that far back. Gordon O'Connor served 30 years in the military and was a brigadier-general.

I intentionally ignored O'Connor due to the clear and obvious lobbying issue in his past history in regards to his purchases as defense minister.  The sole sourced contract tenders were obvious via BAE and Airbus.

IMO that is still a far more egregious issue than Morneaus ridiculously transparent insider trading.  

One enriched himself on his own money

The other

Enriched his former companies on our dollar

This does not take away from O'Connor's military history but does seriously call in to question his viability in his position and was part of the reason his position was one of the ones restaffed during Harpers shake up in 2007

11 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not so sure he has shifted the party to the centre. Bernier does have ideas I like but his stunt was pretty pathetic. He can't get over the fact he lost.

Has nothing to do with him losing.  If you read about the entire story its quite interesting.

17 minutes ago, mpt said:

Has nothing to do with him losing.  If you read about the entire story its quite interesting.

It's all about him losing. Again he has ideas I like but he is only helping Trudeau win.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It's all about him losing. Again he has ideas I like but he is only helping Trudeau win.

Thats what Scheer and the conservatives are painting but not true in the least.

Its all about Scheer and the conservatives not standing for conservative principles, kicking him out of the shadow caucus as a punishment for free speech (at the act of his publisher) and turning down every truly conservative policy he proposes?  Why should he stick around, support the party whom doesn’t support truly conservative ideology and be a back bencher just to wait 8-10 years before he can run again.  Its a waste of his life and career.  Anyone who is passionate about their job and feels they are doing the right thing would leave that situation.  Bernier was going to be a nobody in that party, Scheer is a hypocrite advocate of free speech, a sell out to dairy farmers (who else drinks milk in a victory speech) and doesn’t support the true values of limited government, freedom and self responsibility. 

Edited by mpt
  • Upvote 1

This election will be an easy one for me. With Trudeau brought the end of the Children's Activity Tax Credit, Income sharing and brought in the Carbon tax.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, mpt said:

Its all about Scheer and the conservatives not standing for conservative principles, kicking him out of the shadow caucus as a punishment for free speech (at the act of his publisher) and turning down every truly conservative policy he proposes?  Why should he stick around, support the party whom doesn’t support truly conservative ideology and be a back bencher just to wait 8-10 years before he can run again.  Its a waste of his life and career.  Anyone who is passionate about their job and feels they are doing the right thing would leave that situation.  Bernier was going to be a nobody in that party, Scheer is a hypocrite advocate of free speech, a sell out to dairy farmers (who else drinks milk in a victory speech) and doesn’t support the true values of limited government, freedom and self responsibility. 

Well bloody said

I wish more people would understand how very little actual Conservative is left within the Conservative party 

• Hydration 1

10 hours ago, mpt said:

how much of the CPC base do you think feels this strongly about it, and would vote for Bernier? knowing that it would help give Trudeau another win.

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I'm not a fan of Trudeau, I really am not.  I disagree with much of what he's done regarding hsi attention to Canada and the issues within it.  Far too much time spent in his last 3 years on the world stage repairing our country's image.

For that reason I am hoping he wins another term.  Not to give him carte blanche but to see if he can actually start affecting positive change within the nation.  I've always thought that 2-4 years of governance was always way to short a time for anyone, as it takes 18 months to two years for any legislation or changes to really start working.  Making wholesale change for the sake of making change would be foolish

I feel much the same, but moreso for me is the fact that of the four main candidates, I find him the least offensive and for the most part, he has a positive international image.

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how much of the CPC base do you think feels this strongly about it, and would vote for Bernier? knowing that it would help give Trudeau another win.

I would say the centrists who tend to lean right and those with more truly fiscal conservative mindsets.  If they fielded a quality candidate better than the NDPs Richard Candidate here in my riding I'd seriously give them a shot.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I feel much the same, but moreso for me is the fact that of the four main candidates, I find him the least offensive and for the most part, he has a positive international image.

Saying that it's like choosing between the least offensive pile of turd is fairly accurate.  It's too bad May isn't more viable.  I'd say she could see some serious support move her way from disenfranchised NDP voters.  Honestly, looks by the polls that Jaghmeet Singh won't even place second in Burnaby.  Scheer will win Alberta and Sask, one of the prairies and most of northern BC while splitting Ontario.  

But I don't think Fords brand are doing the Scheer Party any favours in vote rich Toronto or the golden horseshoe.

• Hydration 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I would say the centrists who tend to lean right and those with more truly fiscal conservative mindsets.  If they fielded a quality candidate better than the NDPs Richard Candidate here in my riding I'd seriously give them a shot.

Saying that it's like choosing between the least offensive pile of turd is fairly accurate.  It's too bad May isn't more viable.  I'd say she could see some serious support move her way from disenfranchised NDP voters.  Honestly, looks by the polls that Jaghmeet Singh won't even place second in Burnaby.  Scheer will win Alberta and Sask, one of the prairies and most of northern BC while splitting Ontario.  

But I don't think Fords brand are doing the Scheer Party any favours in vote rich Toronto or the golden horseshoe.

This is an interesting byline for me...

For years we've been hearing folks lament that the Greens are such a fringe party, but lets be honest: Whatever gains they might make are going to be at the expense of the NDP. With the NDP in such a sorry state, this should be a chance for the Greens to make inroads. It remains to be seen if May is the leader to make that happen.

27 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Well bloody said

I wish more people would understand how very little actual Conservative is left within the Conservative party 

Wow we finally agree on something :) Maybe 2019 will be a great year after all!

21 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Most CPC base aren’t really educated on what’s actually happening within the political realm.  If Bernier can get Trudeau and Scheer to have a debate then people would see; otherwise he is going to have a really hard time having a chance at winning more than a couple seats.  The PPC will have to do a lot YouTube and social media campaigning to get their message out there.  Just remember though that prior to Andrew Scheer selling himself to non-conservative dairy farmers to barely beat Bernier, Bernier had more than 50% of actually conservative voters on his side.  A chunk of those will follow him, and some will still believe that they must follow the party to defeat Trudeau.  

The best outcome for the PPC this election will be any minority government so the PPC can pull the Conservatives back to the right of centre.