Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Kinda too bad for Canada that Pierre Poilievre isn't going to be part of the options for the country.   Articulate and offering clear alternative thinking and solutions to issue beyond the JT and company approach.    He or Rona Ambrose would likely mop the floor with JT irrespective of what colour of face he chose to use next election.

I thought he would be strong too. I think a few on here have been hoping for him.

Since Scheer stepped down, my wife has been saying it's going to be Mackay.

Do you think he will get it?

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought he would be strong too. I think a few on here have been hoping for him.

Since Scheer stepped down, my wife has been saying it's going to be Mackay.

Do you think he will get it?

Sorry, no idea.   I don't have a very good pulse on Canada right now.    I wasn't keen on him before so doubt he would be cream of the crop and feels to me like "settling" but perhaps I need to learn more about him.   Funny thing about Poilievre, he is also a Ben Shapiro fan and the two remind me of one another.    Politics could use more people like that.

• Hydration 1

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Sorry, no idea.   I don't have a very good pulse on Canada right now.    I wasn't keen on him before so doubt he would be cream of the crop and feels to me like "settling" but perhaps I need to learn more about him.   Funny thing about Poilievre, he is also a Ben Shapiro fan and the two remind me of one another.    Politics could use more people like that.

That's what I gathered too from some comments on here. 

Wife has a poli-sci degree from a million years ago. She has a pretty good ability to predict how things might go. I'm curious if she will be correct again. 

Edited by bishopshodan

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I see snc was awarded a massive contract..

#conspiracy 

17 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Nah...who you know sort of deal..:ph34r:

they won a contract for a new project in Squamish too last week. Damn, those Libyans really have some reach don't they? 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

they won a contract for a new project in Squamish too last week. Damn, those Libyans really have some reach don't they? 

No snc has some pull that's why their stocks soared after the election. 

10 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

No snc has some pull that's why their stocks soared after the election. 

but the real question is, how does this screw over Alberta? 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but the real question is, how does this screw over Alberta? 

It doesn't. Who do you love more: Trudeau? Quebec ? or snc?

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't love any of them. I've stated many times I'd like to see Freeland take over. I have no problem with Quebec either, lovely place. Don't like the racism aspect of the place much but it is what it is. 

SNC is a massive company important to many peoples pensions and careers. Yes it had some creepy payola with some of its reps. Welcome to international businesses, get over it. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't love any of them. I've stated many times I'd like to see Freeland take over. I have no problem with Quebec either, lovely place. Don't like the racism aspect of the place much but it is what it is. 

SNC is a massive company important to many peoples pensions and careers. Yes it had some creepy payola with some of its reps. Welcome to international businesses, get over it. 

Why did the government tip of their ceo he was being charged? Last time I checked Alberta was far more important to those things you mentioned so get over your hate for Alberta. 

Quebec is a dump!

Da hell with Freeland now I want to see Singh take over.:ph34r:

Edited by Ryan Strome

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Love all 3.

JT is a top 10 all time CDN Primeminister

Quebec - is the top province in Canada to live in.

SNC-  is a huge company providing  skilled employment to many canadians.

LOVE them all.

PS - here is how Canadians now see Albertans...

crybaby.jpg

Edited by kingofsurrey

23 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why did the government tip of their ceo he was being charged? Last time I checked Alberta was far more important to those things you mentioned so get over your hate for Alberta. 

Quebec is a dump!

Da hell with Freeland now I want to see Singh take over.:ph34r:

meh, now you're just being a jerk for the sake of it. 

Wonder what would have happened if Scheer had won?

Maybe this will give an inkling:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/newly-elected-conservative-mp-derek-sloan-faces-criticism-after-posting-controversial-tweet/ar-BBZsy8B?ocid=spartandhp

Newly elected Conservative MP Derek Sloan is facing criticism after posting a controversial tweet earlier this week.

Sloan's tweet was in response to recent comments made about whether being gay is a choice or not.

In a recent interview  with Global Kingston, Hastings–Lennox and Addington MP Derek Sloan said that his plans to run for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada depended on "bold ideas," including local issues such as poverty, affordable housing, rising water levels and tax reform.

A recent tweet, however, now seems to be overshadowing his "bold ideas."

READ MORE: ‘Bring on the discussion,’ rookie MP running for Conservative leadership says about stance on abortion

Sloan tweeted in response to fellow leadership candidate Richard Décarie a belief that being gay is a choice.

He then went on to say that " L-G-B-T-Q is a liberal term," during an interview on CTV Channel's Power Play this month, which later sparked outrage.

The qualification was criticized by, among others, Sloan's former campaign manager, Eric Lorenzen, who tweeted in response to Sloan's tweet saying:

"The only answer that gay people want to hear from a politician to the question is being gay a choice? Is no."

Despite his response on Twitter, Lorenzen declined Global News' request for an interview.

READ MORE: Conservative leadership race officially kicks off Monday now that the rules are set

Jonathan Rose, a political expert at Queen's University, says the attention on Sloan’s views about the LGBTQ2 community could affect his chances in the race.

"What we are seeing is people from the corners of the Conservative party are coming out," Rose said.

"While that's great for the discussions of the party I think it reinforces traditional ideas of the Conservative party as a rural anti-progressive party. It isn't going to help them in the wrong one."

Sloan says he is officially running in the conservative leadership race, however, he has yet to officially register as a candidate in the race. In order to do that, he will need $300,000 in addition to  1000 signatures.

Nothing says middle class like giving a profitable multibillion-dollar company $50 million from taxpayers.

LILLEY: Trudeau hands MasterCard a gift of your money

Published:January 30, 2020

Updated:January 30, 2020 3:47 PM EST

Filed Under:

Advertisement

Forget the corporate welfare for Canadian Tire’s electric car chargers or the $12 million Justin Trudeau gave Loblaws to help them buy fridges.

We’ve got a new champion for companies pigging out at the taxpayer trough: MasterCard.

That’s right, the Trudeau government is actually giving a handout to a major financial company that makes billions each year.

In a little-noticed government news release last week, Industry Minister Navdeep Bains announced a gift of $50 million to MasterCard to help them set up shop in Vancouver.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer had the best line as opposition parties pressed the government on the handout, he played off of MasterCard’s classic “Priceless” ad campaign.

13x119_1e80_9-e1580343947949.jpg?quality=60&strip=all&w=640

Mastercard Inc. credit cards are displayed in this photo. (Reuters)

“Having a wasteful government that believes in corporate welfare isn’t priceless, turns out it’s worth $50 million!” Scheer said in the Commons.

The government, which made the announcement at the swanky World Economic Forum, a who’s who of the world elite in Davos, Switzerland, seemed caught off guard with Scheer’s questions.

“Why did the prime minister make taxpayers so sad by giving $50 million to a company that made $16 billion last year off the backs of hard-working Canadians who can’t afford to pay their full balances?” Scheer asked.

Trudeau mumbled on about his government being focused on “growing the middle class and those working hard to join it.” Nothing says middle class like giving a profitable multibillion-dollar company $50 million from taxpayers.

“Why did the prime minister think that they needed a handout?” Scheer asked again.

“Everything this government does is focused on the middle class and those working hard to join it,” Trudeau responded.

The NDP wasn’t letting the Conservatives steal their corporate welfare thunder and jumped in on the action.

“Why does the Liberal government keep giving money to profitable companies instead of investing in our health care?” NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh asked.

Trudeau responded that his government is working hard to make medications more affordable.

Given how well past corporate handouts have gone over, it’s no wonder that Trudeau didn’t want to even attempt to answer the questions from the opposition leaders. Yet, I bet he actually believes that giving your tax dollars to profitable companies helps you.

Or maybe he simply thinks CEOs from places like MasterCard are middle class and this helps them.

That’s not a crazy statement; the government once again this week said they can’t define the middle class they are so desperate to help.

Not surprisingly, fiscal hawks like Aaron Wudrick at the Canadian Taxpayers Federation were not impressed.

“MasterCard is a very profitable corporation. There is no reason why taxpayers should have to give them a $50-million gift,” Wudrick said.

But, but, but, says the government, this “investment” will help raise “Canada’s stature as a leader in cybersecurity,” the news release said.

“Is that reputational boost worth $50 million?” Wudrick wisely asked.

As part of this deal, MasterCard will invest $510 million and the federal government will give $49 million to start a global intelligence and cybersecurity centre with 380 jobs. The government’s “investment” alone amounts to about $129,000 per job.

I bet the jobs won’t all pay that much.

After giving Canadian Tire $2.7 million it didn’t need, Loblaws $12 million it didn’t need and BlackBerry $40 million that it didn’t need or ask for, one might think that Trudeau would have learned a lesson about corporate welfare. But clearly, he hasn’t.

He sees it as his job to hand out your money to his friends, his well-connected, wealthy friends.

The least he could have done is paid your bill.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nothing says middle class like giving a profitable multibillion-dollar company $50 million from taxpayers.

Filed Under:

Advertisement

Forget the corporate welfare for Canadian Tire’s electric car chargers or the $12 million Justin Trudeau gave Loblaws to help them buy fridges.

We’ve got a new champion for companies pigging out at the taxpayer trough: MasterCard.

That’s right, the Trudeau government is actually giving a handout to a major financial company that makes billions each year.

In a little-noticed government news release last week, Industry Minister Navdeep Bains announced a gift of $50 million to MasterCard to help them set up shop in Vancouver.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer had the best line as opposition parties pressed the government on the handout, he played off of MasterCard’s classic “Priceless” ad campaign.

“Having a wasteful government that believes in corporate welfare isn’t priceless, turns out it’s worth $50 million!” Scheer said in the Commons.

The government, which made the announcement at the swanky World Economic Forum, a who’s who of the world elite in Davos, Switzerland, seemed caught off guard with Scheer’s questions.

“Why did the prime minister make taxpayers so sad by giving $50 million to a company that made $16 billion last year off the backs of hard-working Canadians who can’t afford to pay their full balances?” Scheer asked.

Trudeau mumbled on about his government being focused on “growing the middle class and those working hard to join it.” Nothing says middle class like giving a profitable multibillion-dollar company $50 million from taxpayers.

“Why did the prime minister think that they needed a handout?” Scheer asked again.

“Everything this government does is focused on the middle class and those working hard to join it,” Trudeau responded.

The NDP wasn’t letting the Conservatives steal their corporate welfare thunder and jumped in on the action.

“Why does the Liberal government keep giving money to profitable companies instead of investing in our health care?” NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh asked.

Trudeau responded that his government is working hard to make medications more affordable.

Given how well past corporate handouts have gone over, it’s no wonder that Trudeau didn’t want to even attempt to answer the questions from the opposition leaders. Yet, I bet he actually believes that giving your tax dollars to profitable companies helps you.

Or maybe he simply thinks CEOs from places like MasterCard are middle class and this helps them.

That’s not a crazy statement; the government once again this week said they can’t define the middle class they are so desperate to help.

Not surprisingly, fiscal hawks like Aaron Wudrick at the Canadian Taxpayers Federation were not impressed.

“MasterCard is a very profitable corporation. There is no reason why taxpayers should have to give them a $50-million gift,” Wudrick said.

But, but, but, says the government, this “investment” will help raise “Canada’s stature as a leader in cybersecurity,” the news release said.

As part of this deal, MasterCard will invest $510 million and the federal government will give $49 million to start a global intelligence and cybersecurity centre with 380 jobs. The government’s “investment” alone amounts to about $129,000 per job.

After giving Canadian Tire $2.7 million it didn’t need, Loblaws $12 million it didn’t need and BlackBerry $40 million that it didn’t need or ask for, one might think that Trudeau would have learned a lesson about corporate welfare. But clearly, he hasn’t.

He sees it as his job to hand out your money to his friends, his well-connected, wealthy friends.

You think he would have pushed them towards alberta.I guess since vancouver has some of the lowest tech wages in north america they picked alberta

16 minutes ago, Violator said:

You think he would have pushed them towards alberta.I guess since vancouver has some of the lowest tech wages in north america they picked alberta

Probably due to your low cost of housing for employees.   

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Filed Under:

Advertisement

I hate this.  Any level of government paying corporations for investment is horrible.

That said, scheers statements are laughably hollow as he signed off on tens of billions in corporate welfare as speaker of the house.  

And Lilley is a poor man's Ezra Levant.  This is a terrible thing for government to engage in, but those screeching sycophants are the last people I'd accept to voice my outrage over it