Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

To everyday Canadians, probably very little.

Though it would be fun representing Canada in a Model UN UNSC simulation with being on our high horse and virtual signaling and all that.

Yeah, i think it was more of a prestige thing than anything else....

It certainly doesn't change my life in any meaningful way.

On 6/17/2020 at 2:21 PM, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Well even a switch to a Liberal government failed to get the seat.  Harper's Conservatives got 6 more first-ballot votes in their failed attempt than what JT got. 

Maybe now he can focus on Canada (typical CON talking point).

https://globalnews.ca/news/7070563/canada-united-nations-security-council-seat/

Canada loses high-profile bid for United Nations Security Council seat

I think this may have had something to do with Christina Freeland stating that the main goal of securing a seat with the Security Council was to be an “asset for Israel”. 

I hope her words were the dagger that killed Canada’s chances. 

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That BRI project of China's is single handedly changing the geo-political climate of the world

Economically it doesn't really make sense... but politically it's huge.  Pretty much allows China to buy up the votes from 3rd world countries.  It's colonialism... with Chinese characteristics.  Probably just a matter of time before the CCP will claim East Africa as part of China since ancient times, lol.  

15 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I read an article that said our relationship with the Saudis and the Chinese hurt us in the voting, but that was only part of it. Norway is apparently far ahead of Canada in aid to Africa (don't remember if Ireland is as well) and our continued backing of Israel turns of much of the middle east.

The piece I read (McLeans I think) put some of the blame on JT, but it was more a general criticism of Canada's foreign policy for decades, which the author called muddled and unfocused. I had to admit that there were some quite valid points there.

I suppose the real question (and this was also raised by the author) is how much do we as Canadians really care?

I can care less whether Canada gets a seat on the UNSC or not.... since non-permanent members has almost no power anyways.  Considering that Canada has had a hot-cold relationship with the US and the UK to a certain extent.... there's little pull Canada has.  

In any case, Canada shouldn't be trying to make friends with countries that are antithetical to Canadian values.  Dictatorships, abusers of human rights, etc... Canada should only trading at an arms-length.  Countries with similar values should be given priority.  

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

In any case, Canada shouldn't be trying to make friends with countries that are antithetical to Canadian values.  Dictatorships, abusers of human rights, etc... Canada should only trading at an arms-length.  Countries with similar values should be given priority.  

To be honest, "when the chips are down", Canada really has no friends.  No country does (as each will generally only act in it's own self-interests) Only countries it can trust more than others (though even that has it's limits). 

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be honest, "when the chips are down", Canada really has no friends.  No country does (as each will generally only act in it's own self-interests) Only countries it can trust more than others (though even that has it's limits). 

When the C-19 vaccine comes out we will see how far down the pecking order Canada will be. If the PPE fiasco is repeated it will be months. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

I think this may have had something to do with Christina Freeland stating that the main goal of securing a seat with the Security Council was to be an “asset for Israel”. 

Hadn't heard that. Also hadn't really been paying much attention. If so she's dropped a ton in my books. 

• Hydration 1

On 6/19/2020 at 9:46 AM, PhillipBlunt said:

9 hours ago, Gnarcore said:

Hadn't heard that. Also hadn't really been paying much attention. If so she's dropped a ton in my books. 

While I’m not exactly a fan of Canada’s policy towards Israel, and that’s going back decades and through multiple administrations, the Freeland comment itself I believe was a one-off from a 2018 state visit to Israel, made during her speech to the Israel Council on Foreign Relations (ICFR) forum in Jerusalem.

I well understand the criticism, but I also think it’s probably an overstatement and oversimplification to suggest that Canada’s main goal for securing a seat on the Security Council was simply to act as an “asset for Israel.”

Canada's desire for a Security Council seat goes back to the beginning of the UN. It allows a mid power like Canada to leverage diplomatic influence on the world stage. IMHO Canada would be negligent in not doing so. Statements like "being the honest broker" sound good but the reality is there are benefits to be gained. Canada has to position itself between competing powers to influence outcomes, if possible, but at a minimum to minimalize possible harm to Canadian interests.

• Upvote 2

It’s crazy how trumps song choice can get three pages of conversation, or Kenney’s copywriter choice gets called out....but another liberal scandal comes out and crickets. :huh:

strange, people here must have that same bi partisan bias CBC has. Lol

• Hydration 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It’s crazy how trumps song choice can get three pages of conversation, or Kenney’s copywriter choice gets called out....but another liberal scandal comes out and crickets. :huh:

What happened?

26 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7137411/ethics-commissioner-trudeau-we-charity/

In short, Ethics Commissioner launches investigation into Justin Trudeau's involvement in awarding $900M contract to charity with close ties to his family and the Liberal Party.

Why are we paying students to volunteer :wacko:.

"The end, therefore, is not unlike the very origins of this arrangement. A video emerged on Tuesday of WE Charity co-founder Marc Kielburger telling a conference call that the Prime Minister’s Office had reached out in April to see if the organization would administer this program.

Kielburger then claimed he “misspoke” on that call and that it was lower-level public sector bureaucrats who had reached out."

-fishy

They did say that WE Charity wouldn't make any profits from the grant...but the charity is apparently struggling and this would help it out. Also, executives can pay themselves some nice salaries. 

The claim that only WE Charity can do it is also very fishy and probably a fat lie. 

3 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Why are we paying students to volunteer :wacko:.

Kind of defeats the idea of "volunteering".

"The end, therefore, is not unlike the very origins of this arrangement. A video emerged on Tuesday of WE Charity co-founder Marc Kielburger telling a conference call that the Prime Minister’s Office had reached out in April to see if the organization would administer this program.

Kielburger then claimed he “misspoke” on that call and that it was lower-level public sector bureaucrats who had reached out."

-fishy

They did say that WE Charity wouldn't make any profits from the grant...but the charity is apparently struggling and this would help it out. Also, executives can pay themselves some nice salaries. 

I'm curious as to how high those "needed" salaries are.

"WE Charity had been set to collect at least $19.5 million in fees for administering the program"

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/exclusive-we-charity-offered-summer-camps-up-to-25000-to-recruit-volunteers

The claim that only WE Charity can do it is also very fishy and probably a fat lie. 

Yeah and thats why JT is walking back the roll out.  I'm thinking he's just eager for the hat-trick.  If he is found to having the violating ethics rules by the commissioner.  This will be the third strike.  He'll pay the fine, say he's sorry and it will get swept under the rug again.

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

JT has no opposition in Canada. He has demonstrated time and again that truth is a matter of interpretation. His! He controls the press with a handpicked board who dole out $600 million of taxpayer money so that he is not seriously questioned. This will not change until easterners feel threatened with business failures. Wexit cannot happen fast enough for me.  

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

What is crazy is how someone moans about no coverage of a story, but then has to be coaxed into posting the story.

However I guess that fits the narrative of people that think things are slanted in media.

• Haha 2

This thread is not the same without Strome arguing with Hippy!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, gurn said:

What is crazy is how someone moans about no coverage of a story, but then has to be coaxed into posting the story.

However I guess that fits the narrative of people that think things are slanted in media.

So You don’t think the media is slanted?  Lol.  

Hmm funny seen you complaining about fox in another thread. Or is it only slanted when they are right leaning?  

I have to question, do some of ever just stop and think about how big of hypocrites you are? 

• Hydration 2

17 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

This thread is not the same without Strome arguing with Hippy!

Thread has slowed to a crawl. Without Strome v. Hip, this thread just lacks any appeal. Who will remind us that Andrew Scheer won the popular vote or that Justin Trudeau is actually Fidel Castro's biological son? This void cannot be filled.

• Haha 3

There are still a few people willing to take up the "JT is the worst PM ever!" mantle.....a couple have posted recently.

As far as Strome goes, you guys can go ahead and miss him, but he was dead to me already....