Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

Posted (edited)

FYI in regards to the Conservatives whining about the WE scandal.

Something they don't actually speak of when pointing their fingers is...this is the single most infuriating thing about our actual 2 party system.  Both parties start with promise after the old party is turfed then commit to the same excesses while ignoring the fact they were upset about them prior to winning an election.

The blatant hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance by both parties is stark and obvious and we need to start doing better

image.png.14f0a3c3281363638e2af6f51350d72a.png

Edited by Warhippy
  • Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Something they don't actually speak of when pointing their fingers is...

Nice whataboutism of people not even in power.. I think it would have been all fine and dandy for the politicians (trudeau, mackay, harper) and their family members to have been compensated by the WE charity for speeches etc. so long as they are removed personally from the selection process for a $900million bid etc..  seems trudeau agrees

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-apologizes-for-not-recusing-himself-from-we-charity-contract/ 

Trudeau, Morneau apologize for not recusing themselves from WE Charity contract decision

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Something they don't actually speak of when pointing their fingers is...this is the single most infuriating thing about our actual 2 party system.  Both parties start with promise after the old party is turfed then commit to the same excesses while ignoring the fact they were upset about them prior to winning an election.

The blatant hypocrisy and cognitive dissonance by both parties is stark and obvious and we need to start doing better

That's great but they aren't in power. 

As Chicken posted, Trudeau's mom and brother are both on the WE Charity payroll so he should not have been a part of the group making the decision regarding those funds. It should've been common sense to leave that to the other parliament members. WE Charity is one of Canada's biggest and probably would've won the bid anyways but Trudeau should know better than to be involved in financial decisions that his family has a stake in. 

I don't think we can assume that Mackay or Moe wouldn't have recused themselves and call them hypocrites. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Hydration 2

5 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Nice whataboutism of people not even in power.. I think it would have been all fine and dandy for the politicians (trudeau, mackay, harper) and their family members to have been compensated by the WE charity for speeches etc. so long as they are removed personally from the selection process for a $900million bid etc..  seems trudeau agrees

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-trudeau-apologizes-for-not-recusing-himself-from-we-charity-contract/ 

Trudeau, Morneau apologize for not recusing themselves from WE Charity contract decision

That's not whataboutism.

That's factual statements, coming from some of the rudest voices against the supposed WE scandal.  If you don't see it as a serious issue that it's not a problem until it's not your side of the fence.  If you don't see an issue with people happily doing EXACTLY what they're complaining that the current PM did than I can't help you.

You don't get to commit a supposed scandal and claim no fault or issue then whine that someone else is doing roughly the same thing and pretend it's bad.  THAT is the issue here.

2 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

That's great but they aren't in power. 

As Chicken posted, Trudeau's mom and brother are both on the WE Charity payroll so he should not have been a part of the group making the decision regarding those funds. It should've been common sense to leave that to the other parliament members. WE Charity is one of Canada's biggest and probably would've won the bid anyways but Trudeau should know better than to be involved in financial decisions that his family has a stake in. 

Again.

A man who is trying to be the Conservative leader committed to the WE, made money from the WE while in power.  Had his wife make money from he WE.  But has deleted his statements about it and is upset that trudeau et al are involved.in the same kind of engagements.

If you don't see the glaring hypocrisy from that I can't help you either.

It cannot be good for one and bad for the other.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Again.

A man who is trying to be the Conservative leader committed to the WE, made money from the WE while in power.  Had his wife make money from he WE.  But has deleted his statements about it and is upset that trudeau et al are involved.in the same kind of engagements.

If you don't see the glaring hypocrisy from that I can't help you either.

It cannot be good for one and bad for the other.

You're assuming she got paid, that is not known yet.

Politician's family members getting paid to host talks isn't the issue, it's using those payments as a reason to award them governemnt contracts/funds. 

I'm gonna need more help on the glaring hypocrisy. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

You're assuming she got paid, that is not known yet.

Politician's family members getting paid to host talks isn't the issue, it's using those payments as a reason to award them governemnt contracts/funds. 

I'm gonna need more help on the glaring hypocrisy. 

There is in fact evidence now leaking out that the WE program has in fact paid and been paid for preferential speakers.  There is literally endless volumes of pork barrelling instances in the government.

I cannot stomach MacKay, I feel his is entirely ineffectual and that the Conservative party missed a great chance to have truly progressive and honest Conservative candidates running.  But for reference, look up the WE program and his riding after his wife spoke.  A good number of WE projects happened in and around his riding about the same time.

The issue with finger pointing in politics over instances such as these is that there is always skeletons in the closet of the same bearing for those wagging their fingers.

https://thepostmillennial.com/breaking-peter-mackay-deletes-tweet-praising-we-charity-after-wife-spoke-at-event

https://leaderpost.com/news/saskatchewan/premier-scott-moe-spends-winter-vacation-in-kenya-with-we-charity

Edited by Warhippy

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There is in fact evidence now leaking out that the WE program has in fact paid and been paid for preferential speakers.  There is literally endless volumes of pork barrelling instances in the government.

I cannot stomach MacKay, I feel his is entirely ineffectual and that the Conservative party missed a great chance to have truly progressive and honest Conservative candidates running.  But for reference, look up the WE program and his riding after his wife spoke.  A good number of WE projects happened in and around his riding about the same time.

The issue with finger pointing in politics over instances such as these is that there is always skeletons in the closet of the same bearing for those wagging their fingers.

I get that, I'm also waiting for the socially progressive, financially conservative candidate but I feel like that's more likely to come out of the Liberals than the Conservatives at this point. 

If the Conservatives go that route, there's probably a worry of a section of the party branching off to maintain a socially conservative party (and then neither party has a real chance at winning). 

Canada is a small country and the big businesses will involve both Liberals and Conservatives, 100%. I'm just saying that, in this instance, we don't have Mackay awarding a contract to a charity he's financially benefited from. Trudeau's mother and brother did and Trudeau, incorrectly, was involved in those discussions. We can't jump to conclusions because we disagree with their policies.

• Vintage 1

34 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Canada is a small country and the big businesses will involve both Liberals and Conservatives, 100%. I'm just saying that, in this instance, we don't have Mackay awarding a contract to a charity he's financially benefited from. Trudeau's mother and brother did and Trudeau, incorrectly, was involved in those discussions. We can't jump to conclusions because we disagree with their policies.

No?

But we do have him spending tens of if not hundreds of thousands using vital coast guard and military equipment to go on private fishing and crab expeditions, as well as holding two operate books for the failed F-35 procurement while lying to canadians about it AND his famous $50k fighter jet mock up photo.

Again, more and more is coming out regarding the WE charity and as it does we see that both sides of the aisle have benefitted from it.

At days end, the ONLY people really losing out re the kids who use and rely on that program for summer employment.  

Chinese government-owned firm wins $6.8M contract to supply security equipment to Canada's embassies  

Critics of state-owned enterprises allege the Chinese government subsidizes its companies to allow them to bid at lower prices than Western competitors.

They point out that no Canadian company would be allowed to install security equipment in any Chinese embassy.

Guy Saint-Jacques, a former Canadian ambassador in Beijing, said reciprocity is important when dealing with China.

He said he hopes Ottawa re-examines a bidding process that awards contracts on price alone because it “creates vulnerabilities.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/chinese-government-owned-firm-wins-6-8m-contract-to-supply-security-equipment-to-canada-embassies 

are the CCP not holding Canadian hostages for no good reason? We are basically awarding a security contract for our government embassies to a terrorist state. sigh. screw china cut em off

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Chinese government-owned firm wins $6.8M contract to supply security equipment to Canada's embassies  

Critics of state-owned enterprises allege the Chinese government subsidizes its companies to allow them to bid at lower prices than Western competitors.

They point out that no Canadian company would be allowed to install security equipment in any Chinese embassy.

Guy Saint-Jacques, a former Canadian ambassador in Beijing, said reciprocity is important when dealing with China.

He said he hopes Ottawa re-examines a bidding process that awards contracts on price alone because it “creates vulnerabilities.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/chinese-government-owned-firm-wins-6-8m-contract-to-supply-security-equipment-to-canada-embassies 

are the CCP not holding Canadian hostages for no good reason? We are basically awarding a security contract for our government embassies to a terrorist state. sigh. screw china cut em off

We've been selling out to china since the mid 2000s and I disagree with all of it.  China is bullying their way to being the world super power and they should be curbed at every turn

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Time to dump Huawei as well. 

• Vintage 2

6 hours ago, Toews said:

Time to dump Huawei as well. 

I haven't seen much on the Canadian front using Hauwei for 5G etc.. but this article sounds promising I remember reading about this a while ago

https://www.zdnet.com/article/canadian-major-telcos-effectively-lock-huawei-out-of-5g-build/

Canadian major telcos effectively lock Huawei out of 5G build

The decision of Bell and Telus to shift to Ericsson and Nokia has left Huawei with no major carrier customers in the Great White North.

Elsewhere it's still being debated this is a cool article. hopefully common sense prevails in Germany.. 

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2020/07/16/americas-war-on-huawei-nears-its-endgame?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/theeuropeantheatreamericaswaronhuaweinearsitsendgamebriefing

America’s war on Huawei nears its endgame

In Europe, however, there exists a mixed response to the Chinese telecoms-equipment giant

The last domino

Perhaps most profoundly, such a change may leave behind it a world where governments are less willing to depend on companies from countries with divergent interests to supply capacities they deem strategic. “At the heart of this is a dilemma which the West has not faced before: how to cope with a technology superpower whose values are fundamentally opposed to our own,” in the words of Robert Hannigan, a former boss of the British signals-intelligence agency.

Germany’s decision is not a done deal. Deutsche Telekom a 32%-state-owned company, is the country’s largest mobile provider and already relies heavily on Huawei equipment. It has lobbied strongly against any action that would make it harder for it to roll out 5G.

The Ministry of Economic Affairs, often eager to defend the interests of German industry, has backed the firm. Angela Merkel, the chancellor, has not wanted any trouble with China (see article).

Yet, like the British Conservatives, Mrs Merkel’s Christian Democrats have split on the issue. As Norbert Röttgen, a conservative member of parliament and one of the leaders of the anti-Huawei faction, has put it, “We cannot trust the Chinese state and the Chinese Communist Party with our 5G network.”

The Social Democrats, who are part of the governing grand coalition, and the opposition Greens are also opposed to letting Huawei play. “If there were a vote in parliament today, Huawei would lose,” says Thorsten Benner of Global Public Policy Institute, a think-tank based in Berlin.

Mrs Merkel, who will make the final decision, has so far been circumspect. She says she does not want to exclude a company on the basis of its nationality and that any firm that complies with certain security standards should be allowed to sell its wares in Germany.

Opposition MPs may yet have another chance to grill Trudeau directly about the WE Charity affair. In two weeks, the Commons is to hold its second special sitting this month before resuming its normal schedule on Sept. 21.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7268176/justin-trudeau-vacation-summer-sitting-house-of-commons/

Trudeau not cutting vacation short for rare summer sitting of House

4 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Opposition MPs may yet have another chance to grill Trudeau directly about the WE Charity affair. In two weeks, the Commons is to hold its second special sitting this month before resuming its normal schedule on Sept. 21.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7268176/justin-trudeau-vacation-summer-sitting-house-of-commons/

Trudeau not cutting vacation short for rare summer sitting of House

shameful.  Middle of a pandemic.  Literally looking at a leaderless opposition now.  The Bloc threatening to call a non confidence.  CERB payments about to end for over a million people.  WE scandal unfolding that based on his statements should eb a slam dunk defence

He refuses to come back do his job when the reality is, he hasn't had to really do his job since the beginning of March because "he's on vacation" 

Not cool golden boy.  Get your arse back to work like you claim so many people should be doing

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

shameful.  Middle of a pandemic.  Literally looking at a leaderless opposition now.  The Bloc threatening to call a non confidence.  CERB payments about to end for over a million people.  WE scandal unfolding that based on his statements should eb a slam dunk defence

He refuses to come back do his job when the reality is, he hasn't had to really do his job since the beginning of March because "he's on vacation" 

Not cool golden boy.  Get your arse back to work like you claim so many people should be doing

not sitting in the house for another useless grilling over "WE" isn't the worst move ever. Programs aren't run out of question period. I'm tired of perception-driven politics, so if this spares us another useless session I'm fine with it.

I'm more excited about the idea of Mark Carney making noises about getting into politics, we need far better than Morneau setting the financial plan. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

not sitting in the house for another useless grilling over "WE" isn't the worst move ever. Programs aren't run out of question period. I'm tired of perception-driven politics, so if this spares us another useless session I'm fine with it.

I'm more excited about the idea of Mark Carney making noises about getting into politics, we need far better than Morneau setting the financial plan. 

It's leadership.  Trudeau stands a great chance of putting some of the "he's running away" crowd to rest by just showing up for work.  Him saying he refuses to cut his vacation short during this time does not to me scream leader.  Jacinda Ardern in New Zealand not only has not taken a day off as PM, but also did much of her work with her baby on her hip.  Trudeau has a history that is seemingly one of running away or disregarding issues he's involved in and while he's built up a lot of good will during covid flat out saying he won't come home is not a good thing.

There is also the threat of the Bloc about calling a non confidence that should have Trudeau on the first jet home.

Carney would be interesting for sure.  Will be interesting to see which side of the spectrum he decides to run on if he does.  Morneau is the epitome of entitled politician and smacks of the same air of entitlement Bev Oda did prior to her stepping down

Edited by Warhippy
  • Vintage 1

42 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's leadership.  Trudeau stands a great chance of putting some of the "he's running away" crowd to rest by just showing up for work.  Him saying he refuses to cut his vacation short during this time does not to me scream leader.  Jacinda Ardern in New Zealand not only has not taken a day off as PM, but also did much of her work with her baby on her hip.  Trudeau has a history that is seemingly one of running away or disregarding issues he's involved in and while he's built up a lot of good will during covid flat out saying he won't come home is not a good thing.

There is also the threat of the Bloc about calling a non confidence that should have Trudeau on the first jet home.

Carney would be interesting for sure.  Will be interesting to see which side of the spectrum he decides to run on if he does.  Morneau is the epitome of entitled politician and smacks of the same air of entitlement Bev Oda did prior to her stepping down

I guess I just don't care about the 'running away' narrative. Its horse poop. It plays in certain media but the reality is the government on the whole is doing a good job. 

This is coming out of left field but Trudeau has my vote next election if he vows to double or triple the amount of immigrants.

Posted (edited)

Finance Minister Bill Morneau resigning

TORONTO -- Bill Morneau, Canada’s finance minister, is stepping down amid the ongoing scandal of accepting gifts from WE Charity and rumours of a growing rift with Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

CTV News has confirmed Morneau will announce his resignation during a press conference in Ottawa.

Reports have swirled that Trudeau and Morneau were also at odds over environmental initiatives, and pandemic relief spending. Morneau has been in the crosshairs of opposition parties since the WE Charity scandal broke last month.

Last Tuesday, the Prime Minister’s Office issued a statement saying the prime minister had “full confidence” in Morneau.

Developing story...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/finance-minister-bill-morneau-resigning-1.5068128

Also resigning as an MP.

Mark Carney's available.

Edited by nuckin_futz