Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I could see Green doing very well in BC.

It'll be fascinating to see what (or if) Bernier is able to influence. Scheers talking points against Trudeau are easy, but does Bernier force Scheer into some far-right arguments he doesn't want to get into (e.g., overreaction with immigration) or does Scheer give up that ground and potentially some votes?

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Pretty interesting candidate Bernier has in Burnaby.

Bernier's party taps anti-'trans agenda' activist as candidate in Burnaby-South

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peoples-party-canada-bernier-tyler-thompson-1.4970112

It might be safe to say the party is finished before it got started.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I see Bernier doing SOME damage in Alberta and maybe Sask, but Ontario/ Quebec will be his battleground and he needs to be strong there.  he can easily play up to the inherent racism and self nationalism so prominent in many aspects of the Quebecois lifestyle.  He can also do damage by vote splitting in the urban centres where much of his message will find very happy breeding grounds.

remember, these are the areas of Ontario that supported Ford and Ford had/has VERY similar messages as Bernier did.  He only needs to win 4-6 seats in Ontario and or Quebec to really screw over the Cons

I don't think Bernier will win anything in the prairies. In fact I think Scheer will take every seat in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/peoples-party-canada-bernier-tyler-thompson-1.4970112

I saw that, Bernier picked the wrong candidate for the area.  That one needs to be in Lloydminster

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think Bernier will win anything in the prairies. In fact I think Scheer will take every seat in Alberta and Saskatchewan.

So...like building a firewall around Alberta?

:bigblush:

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So...like building a firewall around Alberta?

:bigblush:

I actually think Goodale will even lose his seat in Saskatchewan.

36 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Considering this came out of her mouth:

One of the first candidates out of the gate for Maxime Bernier's new party calls the idea of gender fluidity "the greatest and most insidious assault against our children that this nation has ever seen" and says she has dedicated her life to fighting it.

The last residential school closed in 1996. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

It's a lot easier to be a sheep, than a free thinker.  

totally agree Alf, I think I'll follow you. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sadly I'm not so sure about that, she has a following. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

totally agree Alf, I think I'll follow you. 

I'm already being stalked by the local dog control officer.  Get in line.  :lol:

• Haha 2

On 1/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, MikeyBoy44 said:

You don't subsidize anything. It's a tax credit. Only applied on year end taxes.

Collecting less in taxes due to credits means that in order to fund the same expenditures the government has to collect more taxes in some other way (all else being equal of course). 

We as tax-paying citizens were absolutely subsidizing the Children's Fitness and Arts tax credits. 

On powerplay they were saying if Jagmeet loses the ndp will just pick a new leader as they can't afford another leadership convention. Names mentioned were Caron, Cullen and Angus.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

On powerplay they were saying if Jagmeet loses the ndp will just pick a new leader as they can't afford another leadership convention. Names mentioned were Caron, Cullen and Angus.

I have actually met Nathan Cullen on several occasions and I found him to be intelligent, articulate and personable. Problem is he is from Northwestern BC and doesn't seem to have the appeal federally.

6 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

I have actually met Nathan Cullen on several occasions and I found him to be intelligent, articulate and personable. Problem is he is from Northwestern BC and doesn't seem to have the appeal federally.

He also said he wasn't interested in the previous leadership race. I could see them choosing Caron.

9 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Depends on which part they are talking about and how much about this article is accurate about her platform.   Could just be mud flinging.

22 minutes ago, aeromotacanucks said:

Pffft.

Meanwhile in "who is trying to stay relevant in Canada"

This is a huge reason why I don't trust Scheer.  He still looks like the type to take marching orders and has openly said and agreed with Harper about giving the US everything it wanted in the new NAFTA deal.  Leadership is not really what True Dough is showing, but it is also not caving to your neighbours when they're acting like a Put in order to salvage a few jobs at the expense of thousands more

https://globalnews.ca/news/4831917/stephen-harper-trudeau-trump/

Former prime minister Stephen Harper says Canadian leaders have to find a way to get along with U.S. President Donald Trump because of Canada’s “overwhelming” dependence on the U.S. as an economic and geopolitical partner.

Harper made his remarks during a panel session with former British prime minister Tony Blair at the Raisina Dialogue, a geopolitical summit held in New Delhi and sponsored by the Indian government, on Tuesday.

“Every year, I would go to New York on business and [Trump] was on a list of people that asked to meet me but we never actually met,” Harper said when asked about his impressions of Trump. “But I know many of the people around him, I think I’ve got a pretty good picture.”

Without mentioning Prime Minister Justin Trudeau by name, Harper said he believes it’s important that “a smart Canadian prime minister” gets a few things right when dealing with the American president.

“First of all, he establishes — to the best of his ability — a good personal relationship with the president of the United States, regardless of that president’s personality or political party,” said Harper.

“Secondly, a smart prime minister of Canada — because we can often be off the radar in Washington — goes out of his way to show when we are onside with the United States how we can be a useful partner in furthering the United States’ global role because that’s ultimately in our interests.

“If you do those two things correctly, that is the basis on which you can then respectfully disagree when you need to.”

Trump and some of his aides have hurled insults at Trudeau during testy trade talks over the past year.

Following the G7 summit last summer, Trump described Trudeau’s behaviour as “meek and mild” and accused Trudeau of making “false statements” at a press conference.

In the days that followed, Trump’s economic advisor Larry Kudlow told CNN that Trudeau “stabbed us in the back,” while trade advisor Peter Navarro told Fox Newsthat there’s a “special place in hell” for Trudeau, who he accused of engaging in “bad-faith diplomacy.”

Trump has occasionally used Trudeau’s first name derisively, slamming “Justin” in a series of tweets in the wake of the G7 summit.

In November, Trudeau used a press conference with Trump to encourage “Donald” to drop tariffs on steel and aluminum.

Harper said at the summit that the majority of Canada’s trade is with the U.S. while Canada’s “security and values interests” are linked to America’s, making it important for the two countries to maintain a strong relationship.

The Conservative former prime minister also met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and presented Modi with a copy of his new book.

The pair “exchanged views on developments in India-Canada relations, main global trends and cooperation among democracies,” Modi’s office said in a statement.

Harper also heaped praise on “my friend” Modi, calling him “the most significant leader of India since Independence.”

Harper’s visit to India comes three months after Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer’s trip to the South Asian country, which Scheer said he used to pitch Canadian oil and foreign policy cooperation to Modi.

It also comes less than a year after Trudeau’s troubled state visit to India.

Trudeau’s trip was marred by the invitation of convicted attempted murderer Jaspal Atwal to official events, with the National Security and Intelligence Committee issuing a report last month blaming several failings in the government’s vetting system for guest lists on foreign visits

Security sources told Global News’ Ottawa bureau chief Mercedes Stephenson that they believed the Prime Minister’s Office redacted the report to try and transfer the blame for security lapses to the RCMP, CSIS and other intelligence agencies.

Strangely, I think Harper believes he is helping the conservative party with what he says, but all it does is make me even more unlikely to vote for that party.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Pffft.

Meanwhile in "who is trying to stay relevant in Canada"

This is a huge reason why I don't trust Scheer.  He still looks like the type to take marching orders and has openly said and agreed with Harper about giving the US everything it wanted in the new NAFTA deal.  Leadership is not really what True Dough is showing, but it is also not caving to your neighbours when they're acting like a Put in order to salvage a few jobs at the expense of thousands more

https://globalnews.ca/news/4831917/stephen-harper-trudeau-trump/

Former prime minister Stephen Harper says Canadian leaders have to find a way to get along with U.S. President Donald Trump because of Canada’s “overwhelming” dependence on the U.S. as an economic and geopolitical partner.

Harper made his remarks during a panel session with former British prime minister Tony Blair at the Raisina Dialogue, a geopolitical summit held in New Delhi and sponsored by the Indian government, on Tuesday.

“Every year, I would go to New York on business and [Trump] was on a list of people that asked to meet me but we never actually met,” Harper said when asked about his impressions of Trump. “But I know many of the people around him, I think I’ve got a pretty good picture.”

Without mentioning Prime Minister Justin Trudeau by name, Harper said he believes it’s important that “a smart Canadian prime minister” gets a few things right when dealing with the American president.

“First of all, he establishes — to the best of his ability — a good personal relationship with the president of the United States, regardless of that president’s personality or political party,” said Harper.

“Secondly, a smart prime minister of Canada — because we can often be off the radar in Washington — goes out of his way to show when we are onside with the United States how we can be a useful partner in furthering the United States’ global role because that’s ultimately in our interests.

“If you do those two things correctly, that is the basis on which you can then respectfully disagree when you need to.”

Trump and some of his aides have hurled insults at Trudeau during testy trade talks over the past year.

Following the G7 summit last summer, Trump described Trudeau’s behaviour as “meek and mild” and accused Trudeau of making “false statements” at a press conference.

In the days that followed, Trump’s economic advisor Larry Kudlow told CNN that Trudeau “stabbed us in the back,” while trade advisor Peter Navarro told Fox Newsthat there’s a “special place in hell” for Trudeau, who he accused of engaging in “bad-faith diplomacy.”

Trump has occasionally used Trudeau’s first name derisively, slamming “Justin” in a series of tweets in the wake of the G7 summit.

In November, Trudeau used a press conference with Trump to encourage “Donald” to drop tariffs on steel and aluminum.

Harper said at the summit that the majority of Canada’s trade is with the U.S. while Canada’s “security and values interests” are linked to America’s, making it important for the two countries to maintain a strong relationship.

The Conservative former prime minister also met with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and presented Modi with a copy of his new book.

The pair “exchanged views on developments in India-Canada relations, main global trends and cooperation among democracies,” Modi’s office said in a statement.

Harper also heaped praise on “my friend” Modi, calling him “the most significant leader of India since Independence.”

Harper’s visit to India comes three months after Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer’s trip to the South Asian country, which Scheer said he used to pitch Canadian oil and foreign policy cooperation to Modi.

It also comes less than a year after Trudeau’s troubled state visit to India.

Trudeau’s trip was marred by the invitation of convicted attempted murderer Jaspal Atwal to official events, with the National Security and Intelligence Committee issuing a report last month blaming several failings in the government’s vetting system for guest lists on foreign visits

Security sources told Global News’ Ottawa bureau chief Mercedes Stephenson that they believed the Prime Minister’s Office redacted the report to try and transfer the blame for security lapses to the RCMP, CSIS and other intelligence agencies.

I'll grant you that I'm not entirely up to date on Canadian politics at the moment but I'm baffled that the conservative stance during the NAFTA negotiations was "bend over and take it". Isn't looking out for Canadian interests one of those things that should transcend party lines?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'll grant you that I'm not entirely up to date on Canadian politics at the moment but I'm baffled that the conservative stance during the NAFTA negotiations was "bend over and take it". Isn't looking out for Canadian interests one of those things that should transcend party lines?

It's only my opinion, but I'm pretty sure it was from the "Whatever Trudeau does, we criticize" Conservative playbook

• Upvote 1