Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's only my opinion, but I'm pretty sure it was from the "Whatever Trudeau does, we criticize" Conservative playbook

I don't think it was that, I think Harper and many others were thinking a deal was not going to get done. Neither opposition party can attack JT on nafta as he did a good job on it.

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think it was that, I think Harper and many others were thinking a deal was not going to get done. Neither opposition party can attack JT on nafta as he did a good job on it.

I think Freeland did a good job on it, but point taken.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think Freeland did a good job on it, but point taken.

Ya she was the brains behind it but history will likely remember the PM during that time.

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya she was the brains behind it but history will likely remember the PM during that time.

I hope Freeland gets her fair share of the credit. From everything I've seen, it seems like Canada got everything we were after while only conceding a 0.04% increase in American dairy purchases. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I hope Freeland gets her fair share of the credit. From everything I've seen, it seems like Canada got everything we were after while only conceding a 0.04% increase in American dairy purchases. 

I think if Freeland was the leader of the liberal party this election may not even be that close. Have to give credit where credit is due, she has done a good job as foreign affairs minister. Nafta, calling out Arabia and standing up to Russia.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm sure she will my point is history and the average Canadian will likely only remember the pm at the time.

I know nothing about politics (don't really care, just think they're all scum who lie constantly, my opinion) but for those in the know: will any of the candidates have a significant effect on the Canadian stock market? 

7 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I know nothing about politics (don't really care, just think they're all scum who lie constantly, my opinion) but for those in the know: will any of the candidates have a significant effect on the Canadian stock market? 

:lol: maybe those things are connected?

anyway, no generally the market isn't greatly effected. There are short term boosts or losses sometimes depending on a candidate but in general we don't have PMs or finance ministers that do extreme enough things to really sway it. I suppose its possible if we got an extremist of some sort in power but we're not there yet. 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

:lol: maybe those things are connected?

anyway, no generally the market isn't greatly effected. There are short term boosts or losses sometimes depending on a candidate but in general we don't have PMs or finance ministers that do extreme enough things to really sway it. I suppose its possible if we got an extremist of some sort in power but we're not there yet. 

They 100% are connected lol 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

They 100% are connected lol 

Only when things are riding high.  When things go south, suddenly the politicians are quiet.   See TRUMP!! for an example of this.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The big rise the DOW Jones Industrial average above the 17 on the chart below began the day Trump won the US election

dow2.png

The TSX has been stagnant since Trudeau was elected.  It will fall from exhaustion if he is re-elected.

Edited by lesterz

44 minutes ago, lesterz said:

The big rise the DOW Jones Industrial average above the 17 on the chart below began the day Trump won the US election

dow2.png

The TSX has been stagnant since Trudeau was elected.  It will fall from exhaustion if he is re-elected.

You're reaching.

That "high" was the culmination of 72 straight months of successive gains in the US

As it takes 18 months minimum for new government legislation to start really affecting the economy.  You can look at the last 5 months as Trumps real contribution.

It starts right about the time his stimulus ran out.

As for Canada.  We're still decreasing our debt to GDP ratio, have managed to get by without oil dollars propping up sections of the economy.  Are still seeing jobs created and new investment in the country as well.

In the face of our neighbours NAFTA gripes, tariffs and bipolar mood on trade with allies depending on the day.

So really.  Try not to strain yourself

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're reaching.

That "high" was the culmination of 72 straight months of successive gains in the US

As it takes 18 months minimum for new government legislation to start really affecting the economy.  You can look at the last 5 months as Trumps real contribution.

It starts right about the time his stimulus ran out.

As for Canada.  We're still decreasing our debt to GDP ratio, have managed to get by without oil dollars propping up sections of the economy.  Are still seeing jobs created and new investment in the country as well.

In the face of our neighbours NAFTA gripes, tariffs and bipolar mood on trade with allies depending on the day.

So really.  Try not to strain yourself

Nah, your information is incorrect. The US markets were flat for 2 years before Trump was elected then they skyrocketed. That's why I posted the chart. Here it is again.

dow2.png.56862fdd31996d42287ef4c76b83b4ea.png

Edited by lesterz

41 minutes ago, lesterz said:

Nah, your information is incorrect. The US markets were flat for 2 years before Trump was elected then they skyrocketed. That's why I posted the chart. Here it is again.

Cute photo.  Shows really nothing in regards to the US economy or DOW except that people bought in the moment stimulus was announced and sold off the moment it ran out.  

Here are some websites with far better graphs over the last 10 years to show that.  

https://ig.ft.com/sites/numbers/economies/us/

https://ig.ft.com/sites/numbers/economies/us/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188185/percent-chance-from-preceding-period-in-real-gdp-in-the-us/

https://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

Here is a fun photo to prove that as well.

Dow Jones Industrial Average

Keeping in mind that 2018 was the worst year for stocks in around a decade.  This report by numerous financial experts.  As well, that the DOW doesn't actually show the economic health of a nation so much as it does a day to day/year to year snapshot of corporate/personal investment.  So again, no.  Trump is not the reason and yes stimulus largley was, and yes that is all on the backs of almost 72 straight months of economic growth.

as for the TSX being flat

tsx-composite-may.gif

https://www.forecast-chart.com/historical-tsx-composite.html

Canada S&P/TSX Toronto Stock Market Index

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/stock-market

And the Canadian economic snapshot over 5 years as well including growth, reasons of growth and retraction as well as the evr important debt to gdp ratio

Canada GDP Growth Rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/gdp-growth

The Canadian economy grew 0.5 percent quarter-on-quarter in the third quarter of 2018, following a 0.7 percent expansion in the previous period. The slowdown was mainly due to lower household spending. Expressed as an annualized rate, the GDP advanced 2.0 percent, easing from a 2.9 percent growth in the second quarter and in line with market expectations. GDP Growth Rate in Canada averaged 0.78 percent from 1961 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 3.10 percent in the fourth quarter of 1963 and a record low of -2.30 percent in the first quarter of 2009.

https://www.focus-economics.com/countries/canada

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/e-library/abstract.aspx?did=10018

Graphics without basis and opinions don't actually hold much weight

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, lesterz said:

I would like to know the source of your graph please. As Warhippy has pointed out, it seems that it depend on what site you are going to and who you are asking. I would imagine there's some propagated graphs out there as a result.

I don't care for Trudeau myself, nor do I care to vote for him, but I don't think him alone would harm the economy in the way you describe.

Edited by The Lock

Guys are pretty sure enough of you follow Trump non stop so maybe keep in the Trump thread. The question that was initially asked has been answered by @Jimmy McGill and very accurately imo.

56 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I would like to know the source of your graph please. As Warhippy has pointed out, it seems that it depend on what site you are going to and who you are asking. I would imagine there's some propagated graphs out there as a result.

I don't care for Trudeau myself, nor do I care to vote for him, but I don't think him alone would harm the economy in the way you describe.

He isn't harming the economy necessarily but he loved to spend and borrow which could hurt the economy down the road.

He isn't harming the economy necessarily but he loved to spend and borrow which could hurt the economy down the road.

At this point nothing will ever fix that.  The entire world is collectively in debt over 100 trillion or some nonsense

Any politician that promises to fix the debt doesn't have my vote because I know they're lying

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

At this point nothing will ever fix that.  The entire world is collectively in debt over 100 trillion or some nonsense

Any politician that promises to fix the debt doesn't have my vote because I know they're lying

I agree with this. We now live in a world of debt. I really do want to see a fiscally responsible government at some point so citizens can have less taxes.

I agree with this. We now live in a world of debt. I really do want to see a fiscally responsible government at some point so citizens can have less taxes.

I agree 100 % .  Purchasing a  leaky pipeline to move dirty bitumen  from a dead and dying industry makes absolutely zero sense and i don't want my taxes helping pay for it.