Sign in to follow this  
Ryan Strome

Liberals win minority government

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I agree 100 % .  Purchasing a  leaky pipeline to move dirty bitumen  from a dead and dying industry makes absolutely zero sense and i don't want my taxes helping pay for it.

Dead and dying lmao you crazy.

Leaky? Please provide proof.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Dead and dying lmao you crazy.

Leaky? Please provide proof.

its actually making money.....

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

He isn't harming the economy necessarily but he loved to spend and borrow which could hurt the economy down the road.

I guess that really depends on how much. At least it's not the NDP where the economy would likely nosedive... :ph34r:

• Hydration 1

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its actually making CO2..

fixed it for you...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Cute photo.  Shows really nothing in regards to the US economy or DOW except that people bought in the moment stimulus was announced and sold off the moment it ran out.  

Here are some websites with far better graphs over the last 10 years to show that.  

https://ig.ft.com/sites/numbers/economies/us/

https://ig.ft.com/sites/numbers/economies/us/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/188185/percent-chance-from-preceding-period-in-real-gdp-in-the-us/

https://www.macrotrends.net/1358/dow-jones-industrial-average-last-10-years

Here is a fun photo to prove that as well.

Dow Jones Industrial Average

Keeping in mind that 2018 was the worst year for stocks in around a decade.  This report by numerous financial experts.  As well, that the DOW doesn't actually show the economic health of a nation so much as it does a day to day/year to year snapshot of corporate/personal investment.  So again, no.  Trump is not the reason and yes stimulus largley was, and yes that is all on the backs of almost 72 straight months of economic growth.

as for the TSX being flat

tsx-composite-may.gif

https://www.forecast-chart.com/historical-tsx-composite.html

Canada S&P/TSX Toronto Stock Market Index

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/stock-market

And the Canadian economic snapshot over 5 years as well including growth, reasons of growth and retraction as well as the evr important debt to gdp ratio

Canada GDP Growth Rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/gdp-growth

The Canadian economy grew 0.5 percent quarter-on-quarter in the third quarter of 2018, following a 0.7 percent expansion in the previous period. The slowdown was mainly due to lower household spending. Expressed as an annualized rate, the GDP advanced 2.0 percent, easing from a 2.9 percent growth in the second quarter and in line with market expectations. GDP Growth Rate in Canada averaged 0.78 percent from 1961 until 2018, reaching an all time high of 3.10 percent in the fourth quarter of 1963 and a record low of -2.30 percent in the first quarter of 2009.

https://www.focus-economics.com/countries/canada

https://www.conferenceboard.ca/e-library/abstract.aspx?did=10018

Graphics without basis and opinions don't actually hold much weight

The graphs you provided aren't any different than the one I provided. For anyone who has difficulty reading graphs:

The Dow closed at 18322 the day before Trump's election and closed at 23996 on Friday, up 31 percent. During the same time period the TSX closed at 14656 and  14939 respectively, flat in other words.

Two years before Trumps election the Dow was at 17484. It rose  2.5 percent per year prior to his election.

Markets don't react much if at all to the implementation or results of tax cuts, they react to the expectations of such. That's why markets suddenly skyrocketed the day Trump's surprise election. 

3 hours ago, The Lock said:

I would like to know the source of your graph please. As Warhippy has pointed out, it seems that it depend on what site you are going to and who you are asking. I would imagine there's some propagated graphs out there as a result.

I don't care for Trudeau myself, nor do I care to vote for him, but I don't think him alone would harm the economy in the way you describe.

It's from a BMO stock trading account. Trudeau's damage is mostly done I expect. Can it get worse? Maybe. Our markets will rise if the Cons win or upon expectation of their win.

36 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Exactly and a lot more when it's twinned.

If AB could have that and canapuck's east become viable that would be a game changer, to state the obvious. I do think both will happen sooner than later. I'd prefer pucks heading west but it is what it is, the KM project will happen. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If AB could have that and canapuck's east become viable that would be a game changer, to state the obvious. I do think both will happen sooner than later. I'd prefer pucks heading west but it is what it is, the KM project will happen. 

It absolutely will. I'm even more confident after hearing the PM recently speaking on the matter. Clearly he knows more than the rest of us do and it seems positive for the project.

43 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

It absolutely will. I'm even more confident after hearing the PM recently speaking on the matter. Clearly he knows more than the rest of us do and it seems positive for the project.

and its going to cost him politically too. 

1 hour ago, lesterz said:

It's from a BMO stock trading account. Trudeau's damage is mostly done I expect. Can it get worse? Maybe. Our markets will rise if the Cons win or upon expectation of their win.

I just don't see where the damage is at this point. Maybe in the long term as Strome suggested.

I guess I'm just not the most political person as I don't like the Conservatives either which is why I voted Liberal last time in the first place. It's really gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore. lol

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I just don't see where the damage is at this point. Maybe in the long term as Strome suggested.

I guess I'm just not the most political person as I don't like the Conservatives either which is why I voted Liberal last time in the first place. It's really gotten to the point where I just don't care anymore. lol

Don't you think our market going up 0% when the US has gone up over 30% in 2 years is damaging? Our markets have been a laughing stock. Big funds have been moving their money out of Canada because of an anti business environment. People who follow the stock market will not argue this.

Just now, lesterz said:

Don't you think our market going up 0% when the US has gone up over 30% in 2 years is damaging? Our markets have been a laughing stock. Big funds have been moving their money out of Canada because of an anti business environment. People who follow the stock market will not argue this.

I think that's more to do with Alberta and oil to be honest rather than government itself. It's why the whole controversy with the pipeline stuff has escalated in the past couple of years.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I think that's more to do with Alberta and oil to be honest rather than government itself. It's why the whole controversy with the pipeline stuff has escalated in the past couple of years.

I was responding to the question about the stock market. Our overall economy has been propped up by foreign money purchasing real estate. 

Just now, lesterz said:

I was responding to the question about the stock market. Our overall economy has been propped up by foreign money purchasing real estate. 

I don't really care what you were responding to. You asked ME a question and I answered it. ;) And the whole reason we have money leaving is because of the lack of suitors for oil. We have the lovely choice of trading oil with the states and... well... the states. It causes the lack of investment due to uncertainty in the market.

I'd be curious to know how exactly you think Trudeau has to do with this "damage". Please be specific. I'm not trying to be for or against you but rather would like to make sure you know the situation so I can decide for myself.

12 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't really care what you were responding to. You asked ME a question and I answered it. ;) And the whole reason we have money leaving is because of the lack of suitors for oil. We have the lovely choice of trading oil with the states and... well... the states. It causes the lack of investment due to uncertainty in the market.

I'd be curious to know how exactly you think Trudeau has to do with this "damage". Please be specific. I'm not trying to be for or against you but rather would like to make sure you know the situation so I can decide for myself.

Unemployment has reached all time lows under Trudeau, I will give him that but wage growth has also reached lows as well. Essentially the liberal government is great at creating low paying jobs. I guess they stole that from the ndp.:lol:

What you said about investment and the oil industry is correct.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Unemployment has reached all time lows under Trudeau, I will give him that but wage growth has also reached lows as well. Essentially the liberal government is great at creating low paying jobs. I guess they stole that from the ndp.:lol:

What you said about investment and the oil industry is correct.

Low paying jobs combined with a provincial minimum wage hike! Wonderful! ....(can I move? lol)

Trump wants to spend $5B to build his wall and can't get the money to build it

Trudeau wants to buy a 65 year old leaky pipeline and writes a $5B cheque to a US Company and buys it

So, Who has more power, Trump or Trudeau? :unsure: