The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bc assessment 2019

Violator

On 1/7/2019 at 7:11 PM, kingofsurrey said:

77 % in 4 yrs....

Sickening what this is doing to young adults in BC wanting to get into the market....

I'm in the millennial age group, but it's funny how not eating avocado toast on the regular, drinking only craft beers, going to bars every weekend and buying tickets to every single music festival can help you save a lot of money.

Also, getting a real job instead of working a min wage grocery store job and spending all your free time on Facebook complaining about how minimum wage needs to be increased can really help you save money. (Unless you're still a student, but that population isn't looking to buy). 

Me and also some of my friends were able to graduate with our degrees, work hard for a few years and buy condos/townhomes within the last 3 years. This still included being young and having fun and trips to Vegas and new York and Mexico, but also not blowing money on unnecessary things like buying lunch 5-6 days a week or skip the dishes for dinner every night. 

It's not as hard as people make it out to be to save enough money to get approved. It's just a lot easier to complain on Facebook how ringing up groceries should be compensated at 30$/hour

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm in the millennial age group, but it's funny how not eating avocado toast on the regular, drinking only craft beers, going to bars every weekend and buying tickets to every single music festival can help you save a lot of money.

Also, getting a real job instead of working a min wage grocery store job and spending all your free time on Facebook complaining about how minimum wage needs to be increased can really help you save money. (Unless you're still a student, but that population isn't looking to buy). 

Me and also some of my friends were able to graduate with our degrees, work hard for a few years and buy condos/townhomes within the last 3 years. This still included being young and having fun and trips to Vegas and new York and Mexico, but also not blowing money on unnecessary things like buying lunch 5-6 days a week or skip the dishes for dinner every night. 

It's not as hard as people make it out to be to save enough money to get approved. It's just a lot easier to complain on Facebook how ringing up groceries should be compensated at 30$/hour

Yah but most people in your age group have super expensive post sec degrees paid by mom and dad....  followed up with home down payments provided by the bank of mom and dad.

For average young canadians without tremendous family/parent  support  living in the lower mainland home/housing ownership is not a viable option. 

On 1/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Its sad how BC has been mis-managed by politicians supporting a hyper inflating real estate market that benefited the 1 % ers of BC.....

I have no clue how the city of Vancouver will find any teachers , nurses , and police to ever relocate and take jobs in the city.....

Man those jobs haven’t  supported Vancouver prices since early 90’s at best.

On 1/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, kingofsurrey said:

Its sad how BC has been mis-managed by politicians supporting a hyper inflating real estate market that benefited the 1 % ers of BC.....

I have no clue how the city of Vancouver will find any teachers , nurses , and police to ever relocate and take jobs in the city.....

Horse is out of the barn. It's what drives BCs economy. Weed is second maybe? Time to look for legal weed real estate properties 

10 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Bingo thats what I did.  I put my nose to the grind, picked up 2 jobs when I was single, banked as much as I could before I got serious with my wife and started looking at buying a house.  The best part is I found my second job on a day off when I was bored, went to one of the temp agencies because I didn't feel like sitting at home while all my friends worked, got working with a landscaper and he liked my work ethic so he told me whenever I had time to give me a shout and he would see if he had work for me.  Ended up working great and was able to save a bunch of money while people I knew complained about making very little money but also didn't try and push themselves to go out and get more grunt work jobs where the money was.  They all wanted to work indoors in perfect conditions but unfortunately life isn't always that easy when you want to make money.  

Like you said, buy your groceries, make your own food, don't go out and buy subway, etc. every day and you can save money pretty quickly, but most people want to be lazy and take the easy way out.  I have no sympathy for anyone mid 20s or older complaining that they can't buy a house, I bought one when I was 26 and happily live in it and plan on for the next 40 years.  The grunt work is what got me here also.

On 1/7/2019 at 5:19 PM, drummer4now said:

Yes, but all this means is paying more property tax... 

I can finally say I own a millionaire dollar property.. ::D

Well that's because no one says anything.

Pretty typical but when we do things get done but it's a typically corrupted government in many ways. Whatever fills the coffers and less spending on proper things is usually the general rule of thumb.. and then the cost of red tape that fees us to death in one way or another.

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Bingo thats what I did.  I put my nose to the grind, picked up 2 jobs when I was single, banked as much as I could before I got serious with my wife and started looking at buying a house.  The best part is I found my second job on a day off when I was bored, went to one of the temp agencies because I didn't feel like sitting at home while all my friends worked, got working with a landscaper and he liked my work ethic so he told me whenever I had time to give me a shout and he would see if he had work for me.  Ended up working great and was able to save a bunch of money while people I knew complained about making very little money but also didn't try and push themselves to go out and get more grunt work jobs where the money was.  They all wanted to work indoors in perfect conditions but unfortunately life isn't always that easy when you want to make money.  

Like you said, buy your groceries, make your own food, don't go out and buy subway, etc. every day and you can save money pretty quickly, but most people want to be lazy and take the easy way out.  I have no sympathy for anyone mid 20s or older complaining that they can't buy a house, I bought one when I was 26 and happily live in it and plan on for the next 40 years.  The grunt work is what got me here also.

Yeah right. 

Story sounds sketchy.    When you have rents of 1500 per month , saving is not that simple. .......

Sounds like a bit of a whopper.....

44 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yeah right. 

Story sounds sketchy.    When you have rents of 1500 per month , saving is not that simple. .......

1. Rents at 1500/month are for 2br unless you're in downtown Vancouver. Split with a roommate that's 750/month. I have friends renting a 2 bedroom highrise in north Burnaby in a new tower and their rent is 825 each. 

2. When 1 fifth of 1 of 2 monthly paychecks can cover your 750 rent, and let's say a couple hundred more for cable internet heat, and let's say $130 to $160 a week in groceries, and $40 a week to eat out and $275 for student loans, there's a lot of money left over to save or just invest. Even the monthly mortgage with house insurance is less than 1 paycheck (excluding bills).

3. Now of course, I could've not gone to school or gotten a useless degree in philosophy and made $13/hour working at Starbucks and complain on Facebook about how the government sucks and I can't afford to rent or buy a house and I need $30/hour at Starbucks

I, and I'm assuming @Russ didn't live in Yaletown after school and buy houses in point Grey. I've been in the suburbs both during school and post school. 

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah but most people in your age group have super expensive post sec degrees paid by mom and dad....  followed up with home down payments provided by the bank of mom and dad.

For average young canadians without tremendous family/parent  support  living in the lower mainland home/housing ownership is not a viable option

For lazy, unmotivated, just want to complain young Canadians, you are 100% right. 

Someone who actually gives a cr*p will take a student loan to go through school and get a high paying job and make a life. Some of my friends who work in IT clearing 6 figures have student loans. 

I suppose they could've just thrown pity parties for themselves because their parents couldn't help them out. Oh wait, they weren't lazy. 

26 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

For lazy, unmotivated, just want to complain young Canadians, you are 100% right. 

Someone who actually gives a cr*p will take a student loan to go through school and get a high paying job and make a life. Some of my friends who work in IT clearing 6 figures have student loans. 

I suppose they could've just thrown pity parties for themselves because their parents couldn't help them out. Oh wait, they weren't lazy. 

High paying jobs in the lower mainland......  yah right.....

6 figures in IT .... yah right.....

11 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yeah right. 

Get one or several roommates while you are young.  Save what you would have been spending on the full rent that the roommates now pay half or more of. Pretty simple make the sacrifices while you are young and you will set yourself up for success.

1 hour ago, surtur said:

Get one or several roommates while you are young.  Save what you would have been spending on the full rent that the roommates now pay half or more of. Pretty simple make the sacrifices while you are young and you will set yourself up for success.

Sounds like advice from another person that had all his huge post sec costs paid for by his rich parents.... then tries to advise others.

Its OK, its easy to pretend on an online forum..

The whole point of post sec education in Canada is to restrict the well paying jobs to only those that have rich parents.

In Canada education is used to preserve the status / top jobs  of elite families....

1 hour ago, surtur said:

When you are ready for an honest discussion .... lets talk....

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/housing-affordability-contributing-to-b-c-s-brain-drain

Archived