The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bc assessment 2019

Violator

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'd respectfully disagree. I can appreciate there are life events that cause these things to happen (unplanned early pregnancy, family tragedies, etc.) but for the average folk, those who lived at home throughout high school will typically always have the option to live at home while in post secondary or for the first few years after high school while they work full time (unless you have real d*cks for parents who forcefully kick you out). 

It's a choice to want to move out when you don't have to, it's a choice to travel to Europe for a year with no money and rack up credit card debt, it's a choice to major in something that won't land you a job or well paying job, it's a choice to forego a student loan or apply for bursaries and not do any schooling, it's a choice to not work hard and climb up company ladders and pay grades. 

I'm not Caucasian, so my parents didn't charge me rent to live at home while I did my schooling (I chose to live at home and have a 75min commute both ways instead of live near school for convenience), but even my Caucasian friends' parents had rules of not charging them rent if they were in school and if they didn't go to school, rent was $250. 

I'm my opinion there are a lot of options for people to better themselves but a lot of people make the decision to not pursue those options (excluding the small population mentioned above). I'm not even talking about degrees. A girl I went to school with did a 10 month course to become an assistant in medical offices and makes 38k a year now (compared to like 24k at the liquor store) while living at home and is nearly saved up for a down payment on a 1 bedroom condo in new west. 

Now if you didn't live at home during high school (I only personally knew 2 people in my gr 12 class who due to family reasons lived with an aunt or cousin) and you have to move out the day high school is finished, then that's an exception much like the unexpected pregnancies and all that. 

Many MANY communities in BC have very poor access to post secondary or trades training......

The reality for many BC youth is they definately need to move far from home and pay rent to attain COSTLY post sec education....

45 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Many MANY communities in BC have very poor access to post secondary or trades training......

The reality for many BC youth is they definately need to move far from home and pay rent to attain COSTLY post sec education....

Dude you've been talking about the lower mainland this whole time, don't try to bring in remote northern communities now to push an agenda. 

35 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Dude you've been talking about the lower mainland this whole time, don't try to bring in remote northern communities now to push an agenda. 

No Agenda here to push.

Just try to stick to facts when you post.

Fact is that many students need to relocate for educational opportunites... 

Not every young person can live 7-8 yrs rent free sponging off their parents.... while attending great local post sec programs ...

Some kids have to put on their big boy  / big girl pants and move away to pursue their dreams....   It is very expensive....

22 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I, and I'm assuming @Russ didn't live in Yaletown after school and buy houses in point Grey. I've been in the suburbs both during school and post school. 

Na Fraser Valley haha.  I would never move towards Vancouver, to many people, I like not being crammed beside neighbors and enjoy my space.  And I am in the trades, most people I know in the trades are all at $25+ which is a livable wage which allows you to save also.

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yeah right. 

Story sounds sketchy.    When you have rents of 1500 per month , saving is not that simple. .......

Sounds like a bit of a whopper.....

Go into the trades, little to no debt and get paid quickly out of highschool.  I don't give a rats ass if you think my story is sketchy, I have no need to ever lie about my life.  I know what I have done and accomplished.  I stayed at home for years after and didn't want to move out so that I could try and save more.  I used to work anywhere form 60-70 hours a week at 2 jobs just so I could save as much money as I could.

8 hours ago, riffraff said:

I’m in construction and I see all and I mean all the young guys spend about 25$ a day on energy drinks, pizza slices and one of smokes or chew.

i still pack my snack and go home for lunch and I’m in my early 40’s and a boss.

i couldnt believe it when I saw that the chewing tobacco is about 40$ and they buy it once a week.  Or cigarettes.

edit

energy drinks should be banned by health Canada imo.  But that’s another topic altogether.

One guy I used to work with while framing went thru almost a pack a day.  Thats $10 in just smokes, then he would grab food and a pop every day from the corner store.  One guy I framed with about 10 years ago went thru 1 1/2 packs of smokes a day, he rolled his own so it was much cheaper but still, almost never saw him without a smoke in his mouth.  And I hated it, hate the smell of smoke, he was pretty good with trying to keep it away from everyone else so that was good.  My lunch every day is leftovers from the night before, just make bigger dinners then you don't even have to try and make a lunch, its already there for you.

7 hours ago, Pickly said:

LOL it’s so true. Construction breeds so many of these types (I’m in a semi type construction job). Get up earlier and pack a lunch ffs. Make a pot of coffee and put it in a thermos. I work with guys that have astronomically poor spending habits that complain about not being able to afford housing or save money, yet they drop 25-40 bucks a day on eating out. It’s expensive to live here but with some discipline and wit you can make it work. 

I had a co-worker who literally used to bring a pot of coffee to work.  No joke, his passenger seat would have his pot of coffee he had brewed 20 minutes earlier, it was bloody hilarious.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I had a co-worker who literally used to bring a pot of coffee to work.  No joke, his passenger seat would have his pot of coffee he had brewed 20 minutes earlier, it was bloody hilarious.

My coffee cup is so big it holds half a  coffee pot at least... LOL

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

My coffee cup is so big it holds half a  coffee pot at least... LOL

True, I do have a costco thermos that holds a whole pot worth.  It was just funny seeing an actual brewing pot come with him every morning.

17 hours ago, Russ said:

Na Fraser Valley haha.  I would never move towards Vancouver, to many people, I like not being crammed beside neighbors and enjoy my space.  And I am in the trades, most people I know in the trades are all at $25+ which is a livable wage which allows you to save also.

Go into the trades, little to no debt and get paid quickly out of highschool.  I don't give a rats ass if you think my story is sketchy, I have no need to ever lie about my life.  I know what I have done and accomplished.  I stayed at home for years after and didn't want to move out so that I could try and save more.  I used to work anywhere form 60-70 hours a week at 2 jobs just so I could save as much money as I could.

Some of the most successful people I know skipped University and went straight to the trades. My generation was fed a lie about university. They were told it was the only way to get ahead. Realistically, most university degrees are now useless. You also don't need university to learn anymore. All information is available widely and free on the internet. 

Following your plan, you can be 25 with a quarter million dollar bank account and a high demand skill. Much better than 25 with $80k in debt and the ability to right essays no one wants. 

18 minutes ago, taxi said:

Following your plan, you can be 25 with a quarter million dollar bank account and a high demand skill. Much better than 25 with $80k in debt and the ability to right essays no one wants. 

Young people  typically already know university is a scam.... 

the problem is PARENTS that insist on pushing their kids to spend/waste their way for useless post sec degrees....

No university for me, I worked two jobs and declared as much of my tips as the bank would allow when I went to qualify for my first mortgage. But first, to save, my wife and I lived for 5 years in a bachelor apt. Even then, we didn't have enough. I borrowed money from my best fiend and promised to pay him back with 30% interest in a year. So, once we bought we still had to live on KD and count our pennies. We paid off my friend and finally owned our own place. My father-in-law gave us 5k as that was all he could. That was the only hand-out we received.

I believe it still can be done today.  Just have to sacrifice almost every extra thing and even move away from where you grew up for a while.

I'm not knocking post secondary schooling at all though. Some might know 'The British Properties' in West Van. It has always been very expensive. One of my sisters travelled by there when she was a teenager. Missing her home country she made a bit of a silly goal for herself, to one day live there cause of the name 'British'. She had 4 boys while she worked on her PHD. Guess where now owns? actually she now does real estate on the side and owns a lot of properties.

As this is the assessment thread and not the 'you can do it'/ 'no you can't' thread.

My properties stats:

DT Van

2019  +7%

2018 +21%

2017  +32%

2016 +4%

Van Island

2019 +23%

2018 +21%

2017 +11%

2016 +2%

Were looking to buy this summer as I believe it is the time to get into another detached on the Island.

I would never wait for the sky to fall regarding real estate, just make sure you can survive for the long run. My dad was an agent and he always preached to get into the market. My wife and I have come along way and I owe so much to his advice. 

To the young people out there. You can do it. 

BTW, there is jobs out there that pay pretty good. I'm thinking of doing a full career change at 44 when i move back to the island. Already have a few options...

24 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

No university for me, I worked two jobs and declared as much of my tips as the bank would allow when I went to qualify for my first mortgage. But first, to save, my wife and I lived for 5 years in a bachelor apt. Even then, we didn't have enough. I borrowed money from my best fiend and promised to pay him back with 30% interest in a year. So, once we bought we still had to live on KD and count our pennies. We paid off my friend and finally owned our own place. My father-in-law gave us 5k as that was all he could. That was the only hand-out we received.

I believe it still can be done today.  Just have to sacrifice almost every extra thing and even move away from where you grew up for a while.

I'm not knocking post secondary schooling at all though. Some might know 'The British Properties' in West Van. It has always been very expensive. One of my sisters travelled by there when she was a teenager. Missing her home country she made a bit of a silly goal for herself, to one day live there cause of the name 'British'. She had 4 boys while she worked on her PHD. Guess where now owns? actually she now does real estate on the side and owns a lot of properties.

As this is the assessment thread and not the 'you can do it'/ 'no you can't' thread.

My properties stats:

DT Van

2019  +7%

2018 +21%

2017  +32%

2016 +4%

Van Island

2019 +23%

2018 +21%

2017 +11%

2016 +2%

Were looking to buy this summer as I believe it is the time to get into another detached on the Island.

I would never wait for the sky to fall regarding real estate, just make sure you can survive for the long run. My dad was an agent and he always preached to get into the market. My wife and I have come along way and I owe so much to his advice. 

To the young people out there. You can do it. 

BTW, there is jobs out there that pay pretty good. I'm thinking of doing a full career change at 44 when i move back to the island. Already have a few options...

What is your business now and what are you considering getting into ?

17 minutes ago, riffraff said:

What is your business now and what are you considering getting into ?

Director of a small group of companies. Worked my way up, 12 different positions over the years on the way up the ladder.

I have my WSET3 ( wine levels) . Very easy to get if you put your mind to it so I'm looking at rep jobs ( great pay with the right company)

Or, for something completely different.... I am seriously  I'm looking at skidder work...I love outdoors and getting up early. Talking to guy over xmas and he is struggling finding anyone that is consistent over on the island.

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Director of a small group of companies. Worked my way up, 12 different positions over the years on the way up the ladder.

I have my WSET3 ( wine levels) . Very easy to get if you put your mind to it so I'm looking at rep jobs ( great pay with the right company)

Or, for something completely different.... I am seriously  I'm looking at skidder work...I love outdoors and getting up early. Talking to guy over xmas and he is struggling finding anyone that is consistent over on the island.

That would probably be a fun job

53 minutes ago, Violator said:

That would probably be a fun job

I don't know much about it but it looks really cool.

I'm gonna go over in a few weeks and check it out with the dude I know. He is a very solid guy and I trust him.

If anyone has done that kind of work Id love to hear about any pros and cons.

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm gonna go over in a few weeks and check it out with the dude I know. He is a very solid guy and I trust him.

Id shot a pm to 

@chon derry

22 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Skidders look like fun.  I am on the other end of the logging industry at a mill running loaders.  I quite enjoy it.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I ran cable skidder in the early 80s ,nowadays its all hydrolics ,,grapple loader either wheeled or skid steer , kinda like a huge bobcat with the final drive sprocket up high out of mud ,muskeg or rock , if its an old cable skidder I wouldn't bother since you would have to chock every single log you pulled and the old Bostrom seat if it even had one wouldn't compare to how ergonomic the new machines are, strattle the log/logs wrap the grapple ,boom you dont have get out , air ride seat air conditioned stereo sound muffled , beleave me runnin skidder can be hard on the old  bones. clark664-5.jpgLoaders-Caterpillar-525D-7178901.jpg

3 hours ago, chon derry said:

I ran cable skidder in the early 80s ,nowadays its all hydrolics ,,grapple loader either wheeled or skid steer , kinda like a huge bobcat with the final drive sprocket up high out of mud ,muskeg or rock , if its an old cable skidder I wouldn't bother since you would have to chock every single log you pulled and the old Bostrom seat if it even had one wouldn't compare to how ergonomic the new machines are, strattle the log/logs wrap the grapple ,boom you dont have get out , air ride seat air conditioned stereo sound muffled , beleave me runnin skidder can be hard on the old  bones. clark664-5.jpgLoaders-Caterpillar-525D-7178901.jpg

Amazing, thank you.

I think it is a new machine, he mentioned climate controlled cab and sat radio. I'm quite excited, will let you know when I've gone for my test run. 

How random is it that I've derailed the assessment thread into a skidder thread. :ph34r:  That's quite the channel change, sorry mods. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Amazing, thank you.

I think it is a new machine, he mentioned climate controlled cab and sat radio. I'm quite excited, will let you know when I've gone for my test run. 

How random is it that I've derailed the assessment thread into a skidder thread. :ph34r:  That's quite the channel change, sorry mods. 

if its hyd, then your job is so much easier ,the only reason to get out of the machine is for your lunch break, other wise you could find yourself waste deep in muskeg slinging/choking every log , no fun there. but a new machine then ya go for it , good luck!

Archived