The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All this talk about Alex Edler and Chris Tanev, What about Erik Gudbranson??

Rush17

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well you gotta get good players somewhere. More picks you have the more chances you got. There's a chance you can get a good player (better than Gudbranson), in the 2nd round. I mean just look at the pick we traded to get Guddy, could have used that to take Alex Debrincat. 

This team isn't going to contend for a few years, and we still need more pieces to even get to that point. Might aswell recoup assets for Gudbranson while he still has decent value so you can get players that can potentially help Pettersson & this team contend for a cup. 

His toughness & ability to stand up for guys would be a loss, but I think that could be addressed in free agency. 

Sorry I don't have the patience or care to pick through this and explain how short sighted and myopic is. 

Gudbranson had a good game, he's a useful player but I'd still look at moving him if the value is there.

Edler is 32, his play could fall off in the coming years. But he had a good year last season & is continuing it this year. Unless his body falls apart he should be good atleast next year too. I imagine we will re-sign him, but if he'd waive I'd be looking at that too, Edler could get a good haul.

Pete, Boeser, Bo & Hughes aren't enough. There's no guarantees in the next tier of prospects either. Rebuilds not over yet. Still need to keep the long term view in mind.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Sorry I don't have the patience or care to pick through this and explain how short sighted and myopic is. 

So you'd rather make the playoffs this season by the skin of our teeth, end up getting our asses kicked in 4 or 5 games. And end up where New Jersey is this season or where the Avalanche were before they got Rantanen?

Edit: I think your view is more short-sighted than mine. 

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

So you'd rather make the playoffs this season by the skin of our teeth, end up getting our asses kicked in 4 or 5 games. And end up where New Jersey is this season or where the Avalanche were before they got Rantanen?

Nowhere did I remotely say any of that Mr. Herring.

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Do u guys think this is a good defense? @aGENT @oldnews

On 1/9/2019 at 9:28 AM, aGENT said:

Basically this. Our problem isn't the 'middle' of the D core, our problem is a lack of top end talent on the D core pushing middling guys like Hutton, Stecher or Gudbranson etc to 3rd pair/fill-in 2nd pair roles where they'd arguably be 'too good' for an 'average' team's 3rd pair (aka: a playoff team/eventual contender).

This should be far less surprising to people than it is, given that we're a rebuilding team, but I digress...

We have a solid #2 in Edler and a 2B/3A in Tanev as our top pair. That's not good enough to be considered 'average' let alone a playoff team/contender (which again, should surprise literally no one, yet...).

You could have Edler on a 1st pair with preferably a #1D (or another #2 D should we lack the #1 option) and Tanev on a 2nd pair and suddenly the D looks MILES better as it pushes those middle guys down the line up and gets the AHL'ers currently on the third pair in the press box or a AHL where they belong.

Adding Hughes will help but perhaps not as immediately as many people hope/assume. I'm sure he'll see loads of PP time but he'll likely start the season playing closer to 3rd pair minutes, o-zone starts etc 5v5.

It's why I'm not opposed to the Canucks targeting the bigger D fish this free agency. Karlsson (a #1D) or Myers (another 2B/3A) would add top end talent to our D core and push guys down making us FAR better in one step. (That is of course if Pettersson et al are enough to start attracting these guys, this soon). Then you add in Hughes, and eventually Juolevi, Woo etc and then hopefully have a couple guys like Brisebois and Rathbone etc push the roster from below and you end up with a deep, high quality D core one hopes.

1 hour ago, TheNewGM said:

WHOLLY SUPPORT TRADING GUDBRANSON FOR ANYTHING. the guy is a pylon.

Would hate to see it.

Listening to Don Cherry though it sounds like Toronto is in need of some more heavy weight toughness if they think they can take a run for the cup. Maybe they would over pay?

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:45 PM, apollo said:

I believe jannik Hansen dropped the gloves immediately and Kadri went into the featle position. 

I hope Gudbranson answers the bell on Sunday. 

Matheson refused Horvat and Jake. Haley said I'll take on handling the receipt of discipline. No doubt a harder match!

It wasn't decisive, Haley acquitted himself well. But took well more than he dished.

Not sure why the Guddy hate?

All Canucks. faith!

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Do u guys think this is a good defense? @aGENT @oldnews

Its better than 3 seasons ago. RHD = Tanev, LHD convert Bartkowski & Janik Weber. 

I take Tanev, Gudbrandson, Stecher by comparison all day, every day! It is a fair debate if Guddy is good enough, will be good enough when this team matures into a contender? We're missing Hamhuis, but Edler is playing better, as is Hutton. Pouliot is ok depth for now. Hopefully he progresses?  If not, Hughes can have his spot!

Which is only to say we're a work in progress to be fair. But 3 years ago, Hutton was our best prospect D.  Now its Hughes, Woo, Brisbois, Utunen, Rathbone. A work in progress with much more potential?

At some point, a Edler or Tanev trade, hopefully delivers a valid youth piece for the coming ten years. 

29 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its better than 3 seasons ago. RHD = Tanev, LHD convert Bartkowski & Janik Weber. 

I take Tanev, Gudbrandson, Stecher by comparison all day, every day! It is a fair debate if Guddy is good enough, will be good enough when this team matures into a contender? We're missing Hamhuis, but Edler is playing better, as is Hutton. Pouliot is ok depth for now. Hopefully he progresses?  If not, Hughes can have his spot!

Which is only to say we're a work in progress to be fair. But 3 years ago, Hutton was our best prospect D.  Now its Hughes, Woo, Brisbois, Utunen, Rathbone. A work in progress with much more potential?

At some point, a Edler or Tanev trade, hopefully delivers a valid youth piece for the coming ten years. 

As long as we are in a playoff race I don't think we are moving anyone. Other than maybe MDZ (hopefully). I imagine they re-sign Edler & keep Tanev to play with Hughes.

I know they like Gudbranson but I'll stand by thinking we should explore trading him. Not now perhaps because of being in the race, but in the offseason. 

It is better. But I think its still a non-playoff caliber team around Pete/Bo/Brock. Without just Pettersson we're probably a bottom 5 team in the league still.

We are just lucky this year that its a bunch of non-playoff caliber teams battling for the last spot or two. 

3 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

As long as we are in a playoff race I don't think we are moving anyone. Other than maybe MDZ (hopefully). I imagine they re-sign Edler & keep Tanev to play with Hughes.

I know they like Gudbranson but I'll stand by thinking we should explore trading him. Not now perhaps because of being in the race, but in the offseason. 

It is better. But I think its still a non-playoff caliber team around Pete/Bo/Brock.

Middle ground is fair assessment. We're not to be feared. As a defensive crew, that's for sure.  Still bottom 1/3rd of the league in productivity from the blue line.

What I fear is bringing up Hughes. And re-signing Edler. Which leaves us exposing a good D, potentially derailing our rebuild when Seattle comes on board. It hurt Minny, Florida & Anaheim last go round for sure.

If we re-sign Edler, we have to hold back Hughes till next year.  Play off's or not!  Unless Edler is just for 2 years as I recommended earlier in this thread.... 

If we don't have to protect Hughes, nor Edler?  We can re-sign Tanev as depth. Sign a key UFA & still protect all our core young, and old players.

Most likely they re-sign Markstrom to fling to the Pike street market...

11 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So (hypothetically) if you were able to bring in Karlsson or Myers. Would you move Stecher, Tanev or Gudbranson?

Given that Tanev is oldest, has a dodgy history of injuries and on an expiring contact next year (and from what I've heard, has little interest in re-signing), it would probably be him. Though not until next TDL. 

Start the year with something like:

Edler, Karlsson

Hutton/Hughes, Tanev

Hughes/Hutton, Gudbranson/Stecher

(Gudbranson when playing bigger, more physical opponents, Stecher faster more skilled ones, or both if covering injuries).

At the TDL (assuming Hughes is playing well at this level and Juolevi is healthy and ready), move Tanev, shift Hughes to right, recall Juolevi.

Edler, Karlsson

Hutton, Hughes

Juolevi, Gudbranson/Stecher

Now that said, although both would likely see ample playing time with injuries, it's probably not sustainable to keep both Guddy/Stecher as part time guys, long term. One likely ends up being moved at some point. If we sign Karlsson I'd lean towards moving Stecher. If we sign Myers, I'd lean towards Guddy (though Myers has nowhere near his fear factor).

22 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Middle ground is fair assessment. We're not to be feared. As a defensive crew, that's for sure.  Still bottom 1/3rd of the league in productivity from the blue line.

What I fear is bringing up Hughes. And re-signing Edler. Which leaves us exposing a good D, potentially derailing our rebuild when Seattle comes on board. It hurt Minny, Florida & Anaheim last go round for sure.

If we re-sign Edler, we have to hold back Hughes till next year.  Play off's or not!  Unless Edler is just for 2 years as I recommended earlier in this thread.... 

If we don't have to protect Hughes, nor Edler?  We can re-sign Tanev as depth. Sign a key UFA & still protect all our core young, and old players.

If we re-sign Edler for 3 years I'm pretty sure we're not protecting him. He'll be a 36 year old, $6m+ pending UFA at the ED. 

I also doubt Tanev is back personally.

Archived