The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All this talk about Alex Edler and Chris Tanev, What about Erik Gudbranson??

Rush17

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Matheson refused Horvat and Jake. Haley said I'll take on handling the receipt of discipline. No doubt a harder match!

It wasn't decisive, Haley acquitted himself well. But took well more than he dished.

Not sure why the Guddy hate?

All Canucks. faith!

I'm totally with you! My post you quoted was before Sundays match though and I was still frustrated no one went after Kotkaniemi...

Guddy answered the bell BIG time... What a tilt... I was shocked no one in the arena gave a standing ovation... I did for 20 seconds then felt awkward and sat back down lol!

Absolutely loved seeing Bo and Jake try to drop it with Matheson... Brock looked fired up too... I think this game could be the turning point of this season. 

I think Guddy might be one of the best fighters we've had.

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Juolevi is not small :blink:

Juplevi is 6'3''

He's never been a big, physical D man though. And he's had trouble, at times anyway, getting his weight up and keeping his mobility.

That's the narrative which circulated in reports. It is probably not totally fair? 6'3.'' And 198 lbs at 20 means 6'3'' and 210 lbs at age 25. Josh Manson for example was a similar size. And is now 213 lbs. But he was always a physical first D who could move the puck. Nashville is not big.  But Subban is 210 lbs, Ekholm is 6'4'' and 215 lbs. Maybe? 

I have always campaigned for PMD's. Endlessly, religiously! But I do want a component of size.  

Somewhere!

8 hours ago, apollo said:

I'm totally with you! My post you quoted was before Sundays match though and I was still frustrated no one went after Kotkaniemi...

Guddy answered the bell BIG time... What a tilt... I was shocked no one in the arena gave a standing ovation... I did for 20 seconds then felt awkward and sat back down lol!

Absolutely loved seeing Bo and Jake try to drop it with Matheson... Brock looked fired up too... I think this game could be the turning point of this season. 

I think Guddy might be one of the best fighters we've had.

Whew! :wub:

Thought we'd lost you. The single most died in blue and green, still a fan even in the absence of Bobby Lou, Canuck fan ever in existence!

Are you a season ticket holder now?

On 1/8/2019 at 7:27 PM, Bertuzzi44ever said:

No one is going to take gudbranson at the money he’s at, he’s as talented as a two million dollar a man playing like a 800 k dman and what does he make 4? Ugh.

good luck 

Toronto might be dumb enough to throw us a prospect and a pick

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Juplevi is 6'3''

He's never been a big, physical D man though. And he's had trouble, at times anyway, getting his weight up and keeping his mobility.

That's the narrative which circulated in reports. It is probably not totally fair? 6'3.'' And 198 lbs at 20 means 6'3'' and 210 lbs at age 25. Josh Manson for example was a similar size. And is now 213 lbs. But he was always a physical first D who could move the puck. Nashville is not big.  But Subban is 210 lbs, Ekholm is 6'4'' and 215 lbs. Maybe? 

I have always campaigned for PMD's. Endlessly, religiously! But I do want a component of size.  

Somewhere!

Again, 6'3" and 198 lbs at 20 is not small.

If you're talking about 'physicality', say so.

I pray that we don't sign Myers to a big, longterm deal over the summer. 

His contract will be the worst one given out in free agency. He's a #5 guy that's going to get #2-3 money. He's already started declining when he should be in his prime at 28. 

His offence is better than his defence but we have Hughes who will man the first powerplay unit. 

The increase in speed in the NHL has made players like Myers worse, much like Gudbranson. He can't pass the puck either in an age where puck moving defensemen are king. His equaliser was his skating before but he's really struggled this year in that department. It's actually odd how much he's struggled this year given how well he played in the playoffs last year. 

That is not a contract that will age well at all, even Jets fans don't want to re-sign him.

I'd love Karlsson but he'll be 10+ mill per year. Other options include Engelland, Chiarot, Lovejoy, Polak, etc. but these guys are placeholders at best and old. Might need to wait another year before we can improve the defence. Better than making a poor decision and signing Myers longterm. 

55 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

I pray that we don't sign Myers to a big, longterm deal over the summer. 

His contract will be the worst one given out in free agency. He's a #5 guy that's going to get #2-3 money. He's already started declining when he should be in his prime at 28. 

His offence is better than his defence but we have Hughes who will man the first powerplay unit. 

The increase in speed in the NHL has made players like Myers worse, much like Gudbranson. He can't pass the puck either in an age where puck moving defensemen are king. His equaliser was his skating before but he's really struggled this year in that department. It's actually odd how much he's struggled this year given how well he played in the playoffs last year. 

That is not a contract that will age well at all, even Jets fans don't want to re-sign him.

I'd love Karlsson but he'll be 10+ mill per year. Other options include Engelland, Chiarot, Lovejoy, Polak, etc. but these guys are placeholders at best and old. Might need to wait another year before we can improve the defence. Better than making a poor decision and signing Myers longterm. 

You could very well be right on Myers. I'd still kick tires on him, but Karlsson would obviously be the prime target. That's if Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes et al are enough to even attract him (and he doesn't re-sign in SJS first).

I'd bypass the secondary guys you noted for the reasons you noted.

Only problem with waiting until next year is that there's no Karlsson. Pietrangelo is good but he's not Karlsson and he's older. There's certainly has a deeper and better pool of secondary D to choose from though.

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Given that Tanev is oldest, has a dodgy history of injuries and on an expiring contact next year (and from what I've heard, has little interest in re-signing), it would probably be him. Though not until next TDL. 

Start the year with something like:

Edler, Karlsson

Hutton/Hughes, Tanev

Hughes/Hutton, Gudbranson/Stecher

(Gudbranson when playing bigger, more physical opponents, Stecher faster more skilled ones, or both if covering injuries).

At the TDL (assuming Hughes is playing well at this level and Juolevi is healthy and ready), move Tanev, shift Hughes to right, recall Juolevi.

Edler, Karlsson

Hutton, Hughes

Juolevi, Gudbranson/Stecher

Now that said, although both would likely see ample playing time with injuries, it's probably not sustainable to keep both Guddy/Stecher as part time guys, long term. One likely ends up being moved at some point. If we sign Karlsson I'd lean towards moving Stecher. If we sign Myers, I'd lean towards Guddy (though Myers has nowhere near his fear factor).

Yeah, Myers may be a tower of a human being, but he's nowhere near the physical presence Gudbranson is.

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, Myers may be a tower of a human being, but he's nowhere near the physical presence Gudbranson is.

Indeed, as I noted. But we can't keep everyone and have Stecher as 7th D. I suppose we could always move say Hutton instead, keep Hughes on the left and roll with something like:

Edler, Myers

Hughes, Stecher

Juolevi, Gudbranson

Either way, it's good problems to have. Far prefer nailing down Karlsson though either way ::D

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

Again, 6'3" and 198 lbs at 20 is not small.

If you're talking about 'physicality', say so.

No, its not really your place tell me what words belong.  Its a small line up and lacking physicality. It could really move the puck? Would we score so much it would not matter?

Its also the type of line up a creative coach, say Quenneville, could create match up problems and situations it could not handle. Might be susceptible to the wrong play off match up. Like we probably would have beaten the other three teams that made the Eastern semi's in 2011. But Chara and Boston was the match up the Twins could not handle. Their big forwards punished left too many of our guys walking wounded.  

There are also big guys who are fast, mobile & can score, handle the puck.  LA had Muzzin, Martinez & that Russian guy who beat his wife when they won. They all had wheels, agility and puck skills. It was what people talked about first. But could also handle themselves against bigger forwards. Both in a puck scrum & in front of the net.

All I am saying is we can construct the team, inject some big guys who are fast enough as well.    

But I do agree, the first order of priority is they must be able to skate.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

No, its not really your place tell me what words belong.  Its a small line up and lacking physicality.

23 hours ago, aGENT said:

Edler (not small), Karlsson

Hutton (not small), Hughes

Juolevi (not small), Gudbranson(not small)/Stecher

*Added possibility of a returning Tryamkin year after next. Also not small.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

*Added possibility of a returning Tryamkin year after next. Also not small.

Yeah, true. Regarding Tryamkin. That would look a whole lot better!

I give credit to Hutton for learning to battle. Much was made of getting in shape this off season. But I suspect Green also asked for consistency in his battle level. And good on him for bringing it! But?

As much as he has stuck his nose into it, gotten his nose dirty a few times. Hutton is hardly a guy who punishes guys on a regular basis.  A guy teams hate to play against. And could handle Iginla in his prime, or Jamie Benn. Tryamkin does that. Myers does that. And not necessarily, not primarily actually in fights.I believe you need that capacity on your team.  

As long as they can skate, keep pace.

2 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Tryamkin does that. Myers does that. And not necessarily, not primarily actually in fights.I believe you need that capacity on your team.  

On 1/15/2019 at 3:25 PM, aGENT said:

If we sign Karlsson I'd lean towards moving Stecher. If we sign Myers, I'd lean towards Guddy (though Myers has nowhere near his fear factor).

Chances are, we don't need to worry about either.

Archived