The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will this hometown draft have more picks than usual?

189lb enforcers?

18 hours ago, 6string said:

How do they not get along?

Links or examples please.

Goldy was 3rd on the team for production, and was sent upstairs by Green because of defensive gafs.  Brock has pulled similar gafs, not similar treatment.  They have been very tough on Goldy the last year and a half, both him and Hutton have gotten the brunt of the tough love treatment. 

24 minutes ago, Type R said:

Goldy was 3rd on the team for production, and was sent upstairs by Green because of defensive gafs.  Brock has pulled similar gafs, not similar treatment.  They have been very tough on Goldy the last year and a half, both him and Hutton have gotten the brunt of the tough love treatment. 

There's likely things coaches and management see with players that are different from the things we see as fans on tv and even at a live game that would account for this

19 hours ago, xereau said:

If this team is treading water in the 16-20 zone 1 month before the TDL, I hope they sell.  The PR from picks at the draft is one thing, but them panning out as valuable assets, is what really matters.  Madden, Gaudette, all pushing that center prospect depth chart way up there.  Now is the time to make the D pool ridiculously deep.

Technically that's only 6 games away and EP might miss all 6 of those, and they currently aren't even in the 16-20 range in terms of point % (22nd). I'm not sure I like the idea of JB making future decisions based on the last few games and the next 6.

39 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

There's likely things coaches and management see with players that are different from the things we see as fans on tv and even at a live game that would account for this

Agreed 100%, but if he isn't going to be given the chance to thrive in an offense starved Vancouver market, perhaps he'd be worth more to another team that is looking for his style of play.

I think they've already got more picks than recent years. Canucks have three 6th round picks, but maybe Benning packages some picks for higher picks as well. I'm sure he's working hard on this being a successful Draft for Canucks fans. We might see more trades prior to the TDL. I think the Canucks end up trading Del Zotto (4th) and Gagner (5th).

Canucks would then have

not too shabby 

2 hours ago, Type R said:

You are trying to mix personal issues ( "not getting along" ) with a coaching process ( benching ).

1 minute ago, 6string said:

You are trying to mix personal issues ( "not getting along" ) with a coaching process ( benching ).

Ok, we are splitting heirs here.. The whole point I was making is that it doesn't seem to be working, Green would sooner bench him than use him when we are starved for offense.  If its not working here, capitalize on his value while he still looks good and get a pick back.  Why does everyone have to be so persnickety on this board.

5 hours ago, Type R said:

Hutton was awful last year, period.  The 'tough love' was necessary, and appears to have worked.

Goldobin doesn't simply get 'tough love' for defensive gafs.   He's not a very good defensive forward yet, for sure, but he's also not the best forechecker, isn't exactly a hard areas player, and doesn't necessarily complement EP and Boeser in any/all situations.....there are matchups, and road games (where they don't have the last change) where undoubtedly they elect to utilize someone else on that wing to bring other elements to that line.  When Goldobin isn't one of the 'top 6' LW - and has some competition at this point - he isn't necessarily the best fit elsewhere in the lineup.   It's not simply tough love - it's also the nature of the game he plays that limits his opportunity imo.  Another factor limiting Goldobin has been the absence of the shutdown centers, pushing Horvat's line into heavier defensive duty, and one less option of a scoring line to find a place for Goldobin.

It's up to Goldobin - and he hasn't always been up to the task.

I'm sure the team would love to add picks, but you have to look realistically at what they'll be most inclined to move.

Gagner might get you a marginal AHLer.

Del Zotto - depending on contingencies - need/injuries and what else is available might get a mid to late pick.

Goldobin - a player I might consider dealing if there's interest - might bring a 2nd rd pick.

Tanev - no way I deal him with a late 1st as a principal - would want a RHD prospect , near or NHL ready as the principal.  If you're dealing a top 4 RHD like him, you're not taking crap shoots on a late 1st with 25-30% odds of being an average asset and lesser odds of becoming a Tanev quality NHLer.   These kinds of proposals - for late 1sts - for assets like this - are horrible risks/and weak market value for a player like this.  If they can get a realistic principal and a pick as a secondary piece for Edler or Tanev, then great, they may add picks.

Edler - if he were moving on and expiring, you might rent him with a pick as the principal as a worst case scenario, but under the circumstances, with his desire to remain here and at best a wishful rent and return, you might extract a decent pick out of those circumstances - that may be the best bet for a reasonable pick addition in this draft. although of course that depends on Edler's will to take a playoff vacation elsewhere.  Doubtful imo, but if they could add a known quantity (ie a Vesalainen, then I'd take that over a pick, and maybe some sweet talk would be appropriate - ie an extra year of term if you're a willing rental....)

Dealing Sutter for a pick, again - presumably to a fairly competitive team (with late picks) looking for the right complement - is a horrible deal for this team.  The Sutter proposals on these boards might be the worst of them all.  I won't be expecting Sutter to be dealt, and even less  for a pick as the principal.  I'd lean towards a more known quantity with draft plus year(s) of development, with possibly a secondary pick - but I'm doubtful this club is anywhere near as anxious to deal Sutter as the armchairs in this forum.

Hutton - I might deal for a 50-90 range pick - but won't be holding my breath expecting that.

Roussel is another player I'd flip if there were reasonable, reciprocated interest.  He might actually be the guy I'd shop the hardest.

Of that entire wash, however, I don't see anything that is necessarily going to happen - and really I don't have a problem continuing with their regular complement of picks, with which they've been getting a pretty good crop of principal targets (there aren't always that many realistic additional targets on a draft list in any given longshot range).

Kesler was probably the best opportunity to extract decent picks out of the transition - and they did so....  At this point there are only really a few principal possibilities.

And then beyond what this team is inclined to move, there are the questions of who's buying, what are they willing/looking to move,  who else is selling, and what? 

Archived