The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats up with Petterssons Shooting percentage?

Nuke

More than 27 % of his shots end up in the net. Quite high numbers?! Just to compare with goal leader, Ovechkin and McDavid they are around 10-12 %. 

Will he be able to keep up these fine numbers or would that be exceptional?

19 minutes ago, Nuke said:

More than 27 % of his shots end up in the net. Quite high numbers?! Just to compare with goal leader, Ovechkin and McDavid they are around 10-12 %. 

Will he be able to keep up these fine numbers or would that be exceptional?

He’s not a quantity shooter like OVI, he’s whoses usually  the leader in shots taken.  Instead he picks his spots and takes high percentage shots from the slot or from in close (breakaways etc).  At the start of the year for like a month he was closer to 50% and I said at the time to expect his production to drop once his shooting percentage comes down to earth. It’s definitely not normal, and it’s still high even compared to other guys that have a great shot, I’d think it will go down even further, closer to 20% and that will be his norm.    OVIs hot start was based primarily on an unusually high shooting percentage for him, wouldnt suprise me if he slows down through the second half.  Wonder what Gretzky, Lemuiexs, Bossy and even Bures career averages were (if they even have all those stats).  

Oh and on the production drop, thankfully I was wrong, he’s getting more shots as his percentage goes down so he’s still killing it.

His percentage is unreal and quite frankly, unsustainable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him keep it up quite high throughout the season, even close to 20%. Boeser's shooting percentage was around 20-25% when he was hot last year, but regressed to 16.2% by the year's end. I'd guess EP will end the season with around 19% or so, which is still insanely high. He's definitely picking his time and place to shoot instead of hammering everything on net like Ovie.

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Wonder what Gretzky, Lemuiexs, Bossy and even Bures career averages were (if they even have all those stats).  

Bure had a career average of 14.0% and averaged 13.2% with the Canucks.

Super Mario averaged 19.0%, Gretzky averaged 17.6%, and Bossy a stunning 21.2%. Of course, goaltending was pretty different in those days...

26 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Bure had a career average of 14.0% and averaged 13.2% with the Canucks.

Super Mario averaged 19.0%, Gretzky averaged 17.6%, and Bossy a stunning 21.2%. Of course, goaltending was pretty different in those days...

I’d get Gretzky also has a shooting percentage higher than 20% his first ten years like Bossy and the second half of his career lowered it..Bure did take a lot of point shots so it’s not too surprising he was a bit of a quantity shooter.  I wonder what Selannes was like, I remember he had periods where it was around 25% too.   

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

His percentage is unreal and quite frankly, unsustainable, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him keep it up quite high throughout the season, even close to 20%. Boeser's shooting percentage was around 20-25% when he was hot last year, but regressed to 16.2% by the year's end. I'd guess EP will end the season with around 19% or so, which is still insanely high. He's definitely picking his time and place to shoot instead of hammering everything on net like Ovie.

Ovie will retire with most shots taken if he plays for twenty years given he’s always around the league leaders and has his name in the top ten single seasons several times already, definitely a quantity shooter like Borque was on defense but it works...

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, it's quite low considering he's an alien.  Expect the percentage to rise at seasons end to about 55%.

One thing is that Pettersson really picks his shots, the second is that goalies don't know if he is going to dish the puck or shoot it. Third, he is so good at dishing the puck, if he sees his shot is not going through he passes instead of shooting into a save.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

One thing is that Pettersson really picks his shots, the second is that goalies don't know if he is going to dish the puck or shoot it. Third, he is so good at dishing the puck, if he sees his shot is not going through he passes instead of shooting into a save.

Exactly.  When a guy has the mind and the hands to know when to one-time/ wrist/ dangle/ pass, it makes him very unpredictable (as he's already shown to be in his brief time), and other teams can only hope to stop him if they don't know his next move.  He's like a great chess master just biding his time before it's checkmate.

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Reincarnated Russian (Valeri Kharlamov) from the '72 Summit series?

Let’s just hope we don’t get a Bobby Clarke slash to the ankle 

He picks and chooses his shots very well. He'll make a play unless has a good chance to score. He also has one of the best shots in the league. That wrist shot is as good as anyone in the league and his one timer only bested by a few. 

Archived