The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats up with Petterssons Shooting percentage?

Nuke

Boeser and EP both have elite shots.  Rookies with elite shots catch goalies by surprise.  Brock started coming back to earth last year and that has continued as goalies get more and more tape on him. He is still good, but earthly now.  I assume goalies will slowly catch on to EP, but then is the alien really going to come down to earth?  One can hope not.

When a player is only averaging 2 shots a game through the first 38 games of his career and has offensive prowess then a high shooting % is par for the course. If the Canucks had a few better play-makers to set EP up he would be taking more shots and the % would likely be in the 14%-16% range.

I've got him in my pool and his SOG/% stats have been remarkably revealing.

As far as shots per points, he's been interestingly streaky. He'll go three games with barely any shots or points, and then for a week or two produce at a pace of a point every second shot. It's rare you see him take four or more shots with no results. 

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

I’d get Gretzky also has a shooting percentage higher than 20% his first ten years like Bossy and the second half of his career lowered it..Bure did take a lot of point shots so it’s not too surprising he was a bit of a quantity shooter.  I wonder what Selannes was like, I remember he had periods where it was around 25% too.   

Yep, Gretzky averaged 20.6% during his first 10 years. Selanne retired with 15.1%, but played a lot in the dead puck era. The highest percentage Selanne ever had over a full season was his rookie season when he had 19.6%.

I think EP can read the goalie's positioning well... he can see when he has a opening or not.

When he doesn't have an opening, he doesn't shoot.

He also seems to be able to anticipate when the goalie's movement will give him an opening, or when a shift in the positioning of his stick will give an opening.

He is an intelligent decision maker in his shooting, just like the rest of his game.

My prediction would be his shooting percentage will stay around where it is now.

Typically if someone is lucking out, or if goalies get a read, the shooting percentage drops quickly.

But we are now half way through the season and EP's percentage seems to be stable.

He does not fit the norm.

9 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Yep, Gretzky averaged 20.6% during his first 10 years. Selanne retired with 15.1%, but played a lot in the dead puck era. The highest percentage Selanne ever had over a full season was his rookie season when he had 19.6%.

The year he scored 92 goals he had his career year in shots on goal too, with a shooting percentage just under 25%.  He shot a lot less than Ovechkin does, I think EP might follow a similar path but still get his goals.  He’s actually on a similar rookie pace for goals as Gretzky was if he didn’t miss any games.  If he stays healthy and has a couple good months 45 or even 50 isn’t out of the question.  The idea of having two potential 50 goals scorers on our team (again, we did have Bure and Mogilny for a while) makes me giddy, and we should have them for the first ten years of their careers..

On 1/9/2019 at 4:51 AM, IBatch said:

I’d get Gretzky also has a shooting percentage higher than 20% his first ten years like Bossy and the second half of his career lowered it..Bure did take a lot of point shots so it’s not too surprising he was a bit of a quantity shooter.  I wonder what Selannes was like, I remember he had periods where it was around 25% too.   

I think the principal difference between the shooting percentages of players like Gretzky - or EP - and guys like Bossy, Bure, Selanne - are that the former are elite playmakers, where the latter are snipers/goalscorers.   With Gretzky or EP, there is a whole lot more doubt in the minds of a goaltender as to what they will do with the puck in the end.   As they appear to load up for a shot, always present in the back of any goaltender's mind is the possibility that they feed the puck to someone else- and both of them generally do so 'blindly'.  It divides the attention of a goaltender - while at the same time EP has a really quick, deadly accurate release.....With the elite goalscorers, I think there's slightly less anxiety as to what they are going to do, and more of a lock-in to deal with their shot.  Their shot may be equal quality to a Gretzky or EP, but the unpredictability isn't quite as high imo.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I think the principal difference between the shooting percentages of players like Gretzky - or EP - and guys like Bossy, Bure, Selanne - are that the former are elite playmakers, where the latter are snipers/goalscorers.   With Gretzky or EP, there is a whole lot more doubt in the minds of a goaltender as to what they will do with the puck in the end.   As they appear to load up for a shot, always present in the back of any goaltender's mind is the possibility that they feed the puck to someone else- and both of them generally do so 'blindly'.  It divides the attention of a goaltender - while at the same time EP has a really quick, deadly accurate release.....With the elite goalscorers, I think there's slightly less anxiety as to what they are going to do, and more of a lock-in to deal with their shot.  Their shot may be equal quality to a Gretzky or EP, but the unpredictability isn't quite as high imo.

Absolutely, early on Gretzky seemed to score anywhere on the ice at will, but would also make uncanny passes at the last moment.  Pettersson has demonstrated that he can do this to, even while falling down and from behind no look lasers tape to tape.  That’s got to mess with a goalies head somewhat.

Archived