The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Michael Del Zotto

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd be surprised we could get a pick.  I was thinking more along the lines of a guy for Utica.  If we can dump him for a pick, and not take on a contract in return, that would be fabulous!

This feels like a Josh Leivo type situation lol. Except MDZ is considerably older. I'd take a good AHL goalie to and a 7th to help the kids.

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd be surprised we could get a pick.  I was thinking more along the lines of a guy for Utica.  If we can dump him for a pick, and not take on a contract in return, that would be fabulous!

I agree kind of like what we got for Vanek maybe a young project player

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Be extremely happy with a fourth for MDZ.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I think Alf is closer to it. Any pick would be a win as, otherwise, the Canucks will get nothing when MDZ's contract ends and it is not like he is helping the team now. And I agree that if someone is needed to fill in late in the season, Biega can fill even, even if he has to play the left side, or we could get a look at someone from Utica. And, who knows, maybe Hughes appears late in the season.

I could also see a "C" prospect coming the other way, which could be good. Motte worked out pretty well.

37 minutes ago, Doubt Tea said:

i'd rather MDZ in the lineup than Pouliot

30 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, at least he can dig the puck out of the corners and get the puck out of the zone. ::D

Both Pouliot and MDZ were disappointing. I think Pouliot was favored because he was, in theory, still "developing" and the hope was that his game would improve, whereas MDZ is not likely to improve his game at his age.

MDZ has his good points. He is a "high event" D -- makes a lot of hits, carries the puck, and gets on the scoreboard fairly often. However, a lot of the "events" are bad defensive plays. His defence just is not good enough and I think Green got frustrated with that. Pouliot has dialed back his risk-taking and has become more reliable defensively.

25 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I think Alf is closer to it. Any pick would be a win as, otherwise, the Canucks will get nothing when MDZ's contract ends and it is not like he is helping the team now. And I agree that if someone is needed to fill in late in the season, Biega can fill even, even if he has to play the left side, or we could get a look at someone from Utica. And, who knows, maybe Hughes appears late in the season.

I could also see a "C" prospect coming the other way, which could be good. Motte worked out pretty well.

Both Pouliot and MDZ were disappointing. I think Pouliot was favored because he was, in theory, still "developing" and the hope was that his game would improve, whereas MDZ is not likely to improve his game at his age.

MDZ has his good points. He is a "high event" D -- makes a lot of hits, carries the puck, and gets on the scoreboard fairly often. However, a lot of the "events" are bad defensive plays. His defence just is not good enough and I think Green got frustrated with that. Pouliot has dialed back his risk-taking and has become more reliable defensively.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

I would rather have Delzotto play than  Pouliot

I believe this is why Pouliot played ahead of MDZ as well. Not saying MDZ is a top pairing D by any stretch of the imagination but if I want the better player in the line up, its MDZ.

I can see Benning sending Del Zotto and Gagner together to the Leafs, as insurance for a Cup run. Might even throw in a Pouliot, if they convince Hughes to sign before seasons end. Moving out NHL capable players that aren't playing or part of the future makes perfect sense. I trust Benning to get something of value.

32 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Let's hope not. If he plays a game this year we lose a protection spot for the Seattle draft.

Good point. If the Canucks can spare a protection spot for the Seattle draft, it makes sense to. The significance of that going forward can't be understated.

A Stanely Cup contender may need a DJ in the locker room to energize the team during a long playoff run.  Get a 5th rounder like they got for Raphael Diaz (turned out to be Gaudette) and we make out like bandits here...

I think he's still hung up on Megan Markle.... Prince Harry married the love of his life and since then he hasn't been able to play hockey...

In all serious I would rather see MDZ dress than pouliot. He seems to be liked in the locker room as well.

Archived