The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Michael Del Zotto

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Almost certainly not worth it, as numerous teams will attest.

Yup, most of the teams that paid extra to either have VGK not take a preferred player or take a less preferred player instead, came out behind rather than ahead. As I said: 

I'd imagine we'll just lose a guy besides him and call it a day.

6 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

It’s his  ufa season. Doesn’t look good on him to have to be scratched and not showcase himself.  The last thing he wants to be known as is a 7th dman who was often scratched.

7th dman on the Canucks no less.. that means he's worse than pouliot 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

What if Benning signed Hughes and Pettersson to new contracts with a NTC? Would they be exempt from the expansion draft? I would have no issue if these two guys had NTCs. I don't want them going anywhere.

Well if we’re out of the playoffs this year a smart move would be to not sign Hughes and have him play a game this year like what we did with Gaudette last year. If he plays a game this year he has to be protected. If he plays his first game next season he is expansion draft exempt allowing us to protect somebody else.

16 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well if we’re out of the playoffs this year a smart move would be to not sign Hughes and have him play a game this year like what we did with Gaudette last year. If he plays a game this year he has to be protected. If he plays his first game next season he is expansion draft exempt allowing us to protect somebody else.

I think he is allowed 10 games this season without losing exempt status from the expansion draft...anyone else confirm?

31 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I think he is allowed 10 games this season without losing exempt status from the expansion draft...anyone else confirm?

In terms of the expansion draft, I'm pretty sure it counts as his 1st pro season as soon as he plays his 1st game.

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, some of the insiders said if he plays any games this season at all, he would have to be protected.

JB will sign Hughes and play him if and when his college season is over. He wants to try and appease his owner in my opinion. JB might not even be our GM come the expansion draft so he is looking at the short term more so than the long term.

We don't really have any D who are worth protecting in a few years from now anyway. Mostly unknown with what we have in prospects and our current nhl D may not be here in a few years

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Even Loui's own mother wouldn't claim him in an expansion draft.:P

What a foolish post.

She has 6 million reasons to claim to be his mom, even if she wasn't actually his mom.

Also, your post is pretty disrespectful. For shame.

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

What a foolish post.

She has 6 million reasons to claim to be his mom, even if she wasn't actually his mom.

Also, your post is pretty disrespectful. For shame.

I'm pretty sure Loui is too busy counting his MILLIONS while being like Jeff Spicoli on ice skates to be offended.:P

But seriously, this is the Zotto thread, so I'm sorry for taking it off-topic.

9 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

If Del Zotto goes then I’d wager both Edler and Tanev stay. Joulevi being injured means the Canucks don’t have the bodies to trade 2 dmen and still have flexibility in case of injury. 

Obvious exception is if the Canucks trade for a young d-man to replace a vet moving out

I am betting Eddy gets a 3 year $5.5M deal.....and sucks next year. He'll still be better than going poo.

29 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I am betting Eddy gets a 3 year $5.5M deal.....and sucks next year. He'll still be better than going poo.

Not sure about the going poo comment but there's absolutely no reason to think Edler will "suck" next year. A 2 year $10M deal works for both sides but I'd be hesitant to give him that 3rd year. Give him 2 years full NTC in the 1st year, M-NTC in the 2nd year.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Once again, if Benning can offload Gagner in whatever deal sends Del Zotto to another team, I'd consider that a huge success. 

I'd even take a decent amount of salary back to make a Gagner trade possible, as long as it's on an expiring contract. Boeser and Petterson's bonuses will count against next years cap, so if we can save a few schmil next year by dealing Gags, that would be ideal.

8 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not sure about the going poo comment but there's absolutely no reason to think Edler will "suck" next year. A 2 year $10M deal works for both sides but I'd be hesitant to give him that 3rd year. Give him 2 years full NTC in the 1st year, M-NTC in the 2nd year.

Pouliot haha. I find he plays better in contract years.

15 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Pouliot haha. I find he plays better in contract years.

We can at least agree on Pouliot. Once Utica gets healthy on D (besides Juolevi of course), there's 3 or 4 guys over there I'd rather see playing on our backend than Pouliot. That's not to say they're going to be better NHL options but I've seen enough out of Pouliot. Even Biega brings more value to the team IMO.

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

JB will sign Hughes and play him if and when his college season is over. He wants to try and appease his owner in my opinion. JB might not even be our GM come the expansion draft so he is looking at the short term more so than the long term.

We don't really have any D who are worth protecting in a few years from now anyway. Mostly unknown with what we have in prospects and our current nhl D may not be here in a few years

I’m sure he will but if we’re out of the playoffs he shouldn’t for mean nothing games. Hughes and Juolevi are for sure protection players then we got one more spot on defence. If we reup Tanev and or Edler then we lose one of that caliber. Or if we trade either for a prospect like a Liljegren that guy will need to be protected.

I’d rather lose a Stetcher or a Hutton type defender than a Tanev or Edler all because they wanted to see Hughes play in 5 games that probably won’t matter this year.

11 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

We can at least agree on Pouliot. Once Utica gets healthy on D (besides Juolevi of course), there's 3 or 4 guys over there I'd rather see playing on our backend than Pouliot. That's not to say they're going to be better NHL options but I've seen enough out of Pouliot. Even Biega brings more value to the team IMO.

For some reason I love the bulldog. He won't win a Norris but he can be a 7/8 guy any day.

Archived