The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Interest in Michael Del Zotto

15 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

We can at least agree on Pouliot. Once Utica gets healthy on D (besides Juolevi of course), there's 3 or 4 guys over there I'd rather see playing on our backend than Pouliot. That's not to say they're going to be better NHL options but I've seen enough out of Pouliot. Even Biega brings more value to the team IMO.

I'd be more comfortable with Biega, Sautner or Breezer.  All have already demonstrated they're less of a defensive liability than Pouliot.  I've suffered through Weber, Larsen, and now Pouliot and MDZ.  I'd really appreciate it if we stopped icing defensemen who are too stupid or too lazy to actually play defense.

5 hours ago, Provost said:

Ya, some of the insiders said if he plays any games this season at all, he would have to be protected.

5 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

In terms of the expansion draft, I'm pretty sure it counts as his 1st pro season as soon as he plays his 1st game.

I found this:

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

So as long as Quinn plays <10 games for the Canucks (likely) it wouldn't count as a professional season for expansion draft purposes, which is nice.

2 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

I found this:

Players with two years of professional experience or less will be exempt from the process. Determining who that covers is based on the definition included in the collective bargaining agreement – meaning that 10 games played in the NHL at age 18 or 19 counts as a season, as does any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-teams-receiving-information-potential-expansion-draft/

So as long as Quinn plays <10 games for the Canucks (likely) it wouldn't count as a professional season for expansion draft purposes, which is nice.

Hughes will be deemed an “age 20” player under the terms of the CBA when he signs his ELC (assuming he signs this year) because he would be signing his contract in 2019, the calendar year he turns 20. 

So his professional experience status falls under the category at the very end of the section you quoted:

“any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.”

As an “age 20 or older” player, any games played in the AHL or NHL (even a single game) would count as a professional season, so if Hughes plays any pro hockey during the 2018-19 season, that will be considered his first professional year.

So basically, if Hughes plays any games for Vancouver/Utica at the end of this season, 2018-19 becomes his first professional year. 2019-20 becomes year two. And he becomes a third year professional for 2020-21 (and therefore eligible for selection, if left unprotected, in the 2021 expansion draft).

If Hughes plays his first pro game in 2019-20, he will be a second year professional in 2020-21, and therefore exempt from selection the 2021 expansion draft (and does not require protection).

EDIT: Just a clarification. Hughes can play for Utica in the 2018-19 season on an ATO, so long as he is not signed to an ELC that is effective for that season. Games played under an amateur tryout would not count as a professional year.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hughes will be deemed an “age 20” player under the terms of the CBA when he signs his ELC (assuming he signs this year) because he would be signing his contract in 2019, the calendar year he turns 20. 

So his professional experience status falls under the category at the very end of the section you quoted:

“any American Hockey League or NHL season for players older than that.”

As an “age 20 or older” player, any games played in the AHL or NHL (even a single game) would count as a professional season, so if Hughes plays any pro hockey during the 2018-19 season, that will be considered his first professional year.

So basically, if Hughes plays any games for Vancouver/Utica at the end of this season, 2018-19 becomes his first professional year. 2019-20 becomes year two. And he becomes a third year professional for 2020-21 (and therefore eligible for selection, if left unprotected, in the 2021 expansion draft).

If Hughes plays his first pro game in 2019-20, he will be a second year professional in 2020-21, and therefore exempt from selection the 2021 expansion draft (and does not require protection).

EDIT: Just a clarification. Hughes can play for Utica in the 2018-19 season on an ATO, so long as he is not signed to an ELC that is effective for that season. Games played under an amateur tryout would not count as a professional year.

Fried really seems to believe the Canucks wanted Hughes to sign badly. I think it's safe to say as soon as Hughes is eligible he's getting signed and played which is for sure this season. Something also tells me Hughes wishes he signed in the summer, hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Just a hunch. Either way I am almost certain Hughes will end up needing to be protected in the Seattle Draft.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Can there be NTC clauses in ELC's?  Can there be an NTC before a player reaches his UFA years?

Not on ELCs.  The UFA years can have a trade clause but not the RFA years of a contract - Pastnark/Nylander have a modified NTCs on the UFA years of their contracts.

10 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Not sure about the going poo comment but there's absolutely no reason to think Edler will "suck" next year. A 2 year $10M deal works for both sides but I'd be hesitant to give him that 3rd year. Give him 2 years full NTC in the 1st year, M-NTC in the 2nd year.

You want a 2 year deal, you're going to have to pay a fair bit more than $5m. We'd be lucky to get him at $5m on a 3 or 4 year deal.

12 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

JB will sign Hughes and play him if and when his college season is over. He wants to try and appease his owner in my opinion. JB might not even be our GM come the expansion draft so he is looking at the short term more so than the long term.

We don't really have any D who are worth protecting in a few years from now anyway. Mostly unknown with what we have in prospects and our current nhl D may not be here in a few years

Pretty sure it has far more to do with keeping the player happy. They get paid sooner/make more money (actually against Aqualini's best interests).

It's a good will move to one of your top prospects. Similar to Boeser.

15 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

green has a sick obession with pouliot pizza.  kid plays trash day in and day out with zero defensive discipline and green keeps rolling him over MDZ lol

MDZ can't play defense either and has absolutely zero chance of ever developing into an NHL quality defenseman at this point in his career.  Pouliot's young enough that he can improve to the point where he's not a complete liability out there.

MDZ is absolute trash.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

MDZ can't play defense either and has absolutely zero chance of ever developing into an NHL quality defenseman at this point in his career.  Pouliot's young enough that he can improve to the point where he's not a complete liability out there.

MDZ is absolute trash.

If we can any picks in return, both should go.  

19 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Fried really seems to believe the Canucks wanted Hughes to sign badly. I think it's safe to say as soon as Hughes is eligible he's getting signed and played which is for sure this season. Something also tells me Hughes wishes he signed in the summer, hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Just a hunch. Either way I am almost certain Hughes will end up needing to be protected in the Seattle Draft.

The Blue Jays are in a similar position with Vlad Guerrero Jr. He was clearly good enough to play in the bigs last year but front office didn't want to start the clock on his years of club control and why would they, given they had Josh Donaldson as their starting 3B going into the year. We all know how that worked out for the Jays - the rebuild was official.

This year Guerrero will return to AAA to start the year and is expected to get the call up to TO mid April-ish I believe, once it doesn't count as a year of service.

In an ideal world, the Canucks would take this approach with Hughes. I know a lot of Canucks fans are going to want to roll out the red carpet for Hughes but the value of 1 extra season of Hughes on his ELC is HUGE. If he's as good as we all think he is, just imagine his contract in 2.5 years. 8 years x who knows what.

If we're out of a playoff spot when Hughes season ends, I'd say enjoy your summer and we'll see you in Sept. But then I'd give him some of that Aquaman cash on the low low :lol:

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

MDZ is absolute trash.

MDZ is at maximum value for whatever TDL deal Benning can make. Unless there is a rash of d-men injuries I don't expect much in return other than maybe a #4 rdr. 

Pouliot continues to make slow progress at around 165 NHL games. He is not being pressured by any talent on the farm and the final decision on him might not come until next fall. Canucks have invested some time in this kid and if he is not in the long term plan one has to hope that they can move him for some kind of return. EP40 is raising the value of most Canuck players whether he plays with them or not. 

45 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yet they held the Canucks to zero goals....hmmm.....

Without EP.  Their biggest minute guys are so bad in their own zone MDZ playing like the useless pylon that he is would be an improvement.    Reilly is such a huge liability defensively that he should be in the press box until he realizes that he needs to learn how to actually play defense.

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Without EP.  Their biggest minute guys are so bad in their own zone MDZ playing like the useless pylon that he is would be an improvement.    Reilly is such a huge liability defensively that he should be in the press box until he realizes that he needs to learn how to actually play defense.

I can't buy into the idea that Petterson would have turned the tide in that game for Vancouver. Babcock had the team playing responsibly.

Archived