The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Consider Doug Hamilton Trade ?

I think the most notable point in the whole discussion about Dougie Hamilton is that virtually none of his teammates, past or present, have sprung to his defence and said he's a great teammate. Even in a culture where players stick up for each other no matter what, the silence from Hamilton's peers is deafening. Benning had a chance to land Hamilton when Boston was looking to move him, yet chose to go after Gudbranson instead. I think that says all we need to know abut Hamilton's chances of landing in Vancouver.

Interesting article on the Calgary trade including Hamilton.  https://flamesnation.ca/2018/06/24/why-did-the-flames-make-the-dougie-hamilton-trade/

Seems there were multiple factors involved in this deal including those regarding the other players in the deal and "one" factor with Hamilton was him being a bit of a loner.  These things often take on a life of their own and become more than they really are.  Maybe he's just a bit quirky and shy.  Sometimes it's worth a shot at the right price, especially for player with his talents. 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

^ This.  Ask yourself why someone who, at his age, brings the type of package he supposedly does, is on the verge of being traded to his 4th club? 

He's an outcast in his own world - several  stories have surfaced after each time he's been traded about how he can't/won't fit into the team culture wherever he lands.  He's not a 'team' player.  JB has stressed over and over he wants character players to build a positive team culture. 

HARD PASS on this rumor/proposal/idea/recommendation/whatever it is.....

maybe he would fit in SJ like Kane..

didn't want him in van either thank you very much... 

#cancerintheroom

7 hours ago, wildcam said:

Would you make a trade for Doug Hamilton 6'6 220 lbs D man 25 years old ..

This guy has scored over 40 points the last 4 years..Hamilton has 2 more years remaining  on contract after this season at 5.7 million..

Hurricanes would want Gaudette 22, Juolevi 20 and say 1st rounder 2020...

This is the type of trade that we have to consider...

If we trade Edler or Tanev we would get some assets back..

Let me guess.......you were listening to SN 650 this morning ?

42 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Let me guess.......you were listening to SN 650 this morning ?

lemme guess.....

Dougie is the legit #1D this team has always needed!?

A top 5 D in the NHL!   Just having a bad hair month.

"This guy's analytics are off the chartz!" (Damien Cox).

8 hours ago, wildcam said:

This guy has scored over 40 points the last 4 years..Hamilton has 2 more years remaining  on contract after this season at 5.7 million..

God no. He is poison...no one wants him.  Must be a reason. Come on.

Despite being bad in the room he does have the on ice skills we need, is right handed and 25.

Because he's already been traded twice and Carolina has 4 good right handed D we may get a bargain.

I'd do Hutton & Goldobin plus a 2 or 3

or Sutter & Goldobin plus a 2 or 3

definitely no 1st rd pick. 

1 hour ago, brian42 said:

Despite being bad in the room he does have the on ice skills we need, is right handed and 25.

Because he's already been traded twice and Carolina has 4 good right handed D we may get a bargain.

I'd do Hutton & Goldobin plus a 2 or 3

or Sutter & Goldobin plus a 2 or 3

definitely no 1st rd pick. 

Being bad in the room has him on his third team in five years, with there being plentiful rumors of him being traded to his fourth before the end of the season.

On ice skills are one part of the puzzle. If none of his teammates relate to him, trust him, or like him, it will have an effect on the on-ice performance.

Reading some of the ‘Canes boards, it sounds like any consideration of moving Hamilton is mostly about a surplus D situation. From what I’ve read, Canes fans are actually saying Hamilton has settled in well, is liked by his teammates, and is not any kind of cancer in the room. It’s true that he’s a bit of an introvert, and doesn’t have the typical interests of most hockey players, but apparently none of this has caused problems with his teammates.  Also, most of the Carolina fan posts/tweets I’ve read are saying it would be a mistake to move Hamilton.

If Hamilton goes on the block, I’d definitely want to see the Canucks send out some feelers. I wouldn’t want to spend a mint, and would want to avoid giving up prime futures, but I’d be all for a hockey trade that yielded Hamilton, especially if his market value is down. 

That said, I actually don’t think he’ll be available for all that cheap. I could see several teams interested, and a few willing to spend significant assets to acquire such a player. Plus, I really doubt he’s moved if the return value isn’t good. This isn’t a situation where he player has to be traded. 

Again, if the Canes trade Hamilton, they want an immediate boost to their scoring, not more AHL fodder and a distant pick. They wouldn't have the slightest bit of interest in Juolevi - at all - and Gaudette is more of a throw-away inclusion than a centerpiece.

I’ve always felt Hamilton was overrated, and have not seen anything to change my mind. 

He gets a tonne of pucks on net and can generate some offence, but his Defensive IQ has been spotty at best the times I watch him. 

Id stay away.   Save the cap space for Stone. 

On 1/9/2019 at 6:37 PM, oldnews said:

lemme guess.....

Dougie is the legit #1D this team has always needed!?

A top 5 D in the NHL!   Just having a bad hair month.

"This guy's analytics are off the chartz!" (Damien Cox).

Doogie would be OK for us at some price.... just not anything we can afford to lose at this point. Carolina will never get equal value for what they gave up so its a non-starter. 

On 1/13/2019 at 11:53 AM, vannuck59 said:

TRADE  Baertschi  and Pouliot for Hamilton

Carolina laughs and says no. They don't want an NHL D in return, never mind an AHL one.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2019 at 10:35 AM, wildcam said:

I would trade for him if Carolina wants hockey deal, Gudbranson & Virtanen..... Only 2 years left on nice cap hit, perfect partner for Hutton or Hughes.

Got a raw deal in Calgary, bad goal tending was there problem, not him. Your offer is way to high. never offer a 1st rounder for anyone, that pick belongs to the fans.

Archived