The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Police in Canada can now demand breath samples in bars, at home

RUPERTKBD

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

II have sat at the track in the summer for years, watching as people get sloshed out in the sun (starting at noon and drinking until the last race between 5-6).  Yet I've NEVER seen a cop near any of the exits.  Would be a perfect place to set up roadblocks.

I have never seen a road block outside a golf course either. They would nab quite a few per day....

Always found that interesting, open consumption is legal on most courses I believe and I often see a lot of bevy's consumed when I'm out there. 

The again,I know its because golf is often played by 'captains of industry'. They have a different set of rules.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you seem bent on minimizing the harm drunk driving does, and are far too worried about slippery slopes than real people. 

Cellphones /distracted driving does more harm these days in BC. Maybe cops should show up to check if people are making calls two hours later......

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

I have never seen a road block outside a golf course either. They would nab quit a few per day....

Always found that interesting, open consumption is legal on most courses I believe and I often see a lot of bevy's consumed when I'm out there. 

The again,I know its because golf is often played by 'captains of industry'. They have a different set of rules.

I treat a round of golf the same way I treat News Eve. I get dropped off and arrange for a ride home afterward, because it's physically impossible for me to go golfing and not be impaired afterward.

My sobriety percentage after golfing would be orders of magnitude worse than Garth Butcher's career shooting percentage....

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

OK so what was your point with the graph then? 

You asked how people were behaving on days that aren't New Years Eve in relation to the effectiveness of existing laws and education programs. I posted a graph representing the last 30 years of impaired driving stats that show a pretty clear and steady decline.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Alcohol, has already long not been considered an acceptable excuse for criminal behaviour.

Its a bit repugnant. But I cant see why police would not have the right to breathalyse you in a bar.   It does not mean they can arrest you for drunk driving. No driving drunk yet? But could be used, if the stored sample meets the scrutiny of labelling and integrity? As evidence if you were arrested later. Or if seriously intoxicated, to get you to leave the bar. Penalties also exists, big ones, for over serving to the establishment as well.

But at your own home? They need a warrant just to get in. Or that you are a public danger.  

The time is coming that bars, roads, public places, all will, many do already, have public surveillance cameras.  I imagine a case could be made of substantial evidence of impairment. Also that you were driving. Then they come check you out at home.  But it takes a lot of diligence to prove how drunk you are.

My conclusion is? If you are drunk at a restaurant, bar. It could be grounds to impound your car for the night.

I cant justify it once you are already home.  Save the cameras capturing you swerving and smashing light poles and parked cars. Running lights and stop signs. And there is still the issue you have the right not to allow the police in, or answer the door. Without a warrant.  

Because until they have probable cause of a crime it's absolute bull$&!# and an invasion of privacy. 

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I treat a round of golf the same way I treat News Eve. I get dropped off and arrange for a ride home afterward, because it's physically impossible for me to go golfing and not be impaired afterward.

My sobriety percentage after golfing would be orders of magnitude worse than Garth Butcher's career shooting percentage....

I play 60-100 rounds a year...can't drink on them all.  About 30% are a few beers while I'd say 20% are left get &^@#ed up rounds!  Beauty of my club is I can leave the car there for free and pick it up the next day.  

Just now, Gnarcore said:

I play 60-100 rounds a year...can't drink on them all.  About 30% are a few beers while I'd say 20% are left get &^@#ed up rounds!  Beauty of my club is I can leave the car there for free and pick it up the next day.  

I don't get to play near that much. (Every year I promise myself that I'm going to play more, but it never seems to happen)

So when I do play, I make a day of it.^_^

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

:lol: What the hell does that question mean?

It's not a trick question. I'm just genuinely curious what your views on Marxism are since you've mentioned it a few times today and I'm just sitting here wondering when the class struggle comes in to play on overreaching drunk driving laws.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats where I'm not worried, because thats what we have the Charter of Rights and Freedoms for, as well as the supreme court. In theory it looks scary maybe, in practice we have the checks and balances in place in Canada  to keep things from going that far, imo anyway. 

But increasingly, we are country ruled by courts and less by our elected representatives who seem quite content to draft and pass legislation that infringes on our rights.  It takes years and significant cash to challenge these laws to the supreme court and in the meantime, they will be applied with vigor.  

The argument that this will reduce deaths may be true but as I said before, if you follow that argument to its conclusion, giving the police absolute discretion to stop, incarcerate and invade homes, businesses etc. will also reduce crime but at what price to our freedoms?  There needs to be a balance and to me, this kind of law oversteps the boundaries.

13 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It's not a trick question. I'm just genuinely curious what your views on Marxism are since you've mentioned it a few times today and I'm just sitting here wondering when the class struggle comes in to play on overreaching drunk driving laws.

Are you unaware of the role of the state/laws, and in turn the police (and eventually armies) enforcing them, of Communist (and Nazi as well for that matter) countries of the 20th century?

Allow the erosion of your rights, in the name of safety and security, to the state at your own peril.

Just now, aGENT said:

Are you unaware of the role of the state/laws, and in turn the police enforcing them, of Communist (and Nazi as well for that matter) countries of the 20th century?

Allow the erosion of your rights, in the name of safety and security, to the state at your own peril.

So if it's a law that goes too far, it's Marxism? 

4 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Ah, okay. Because it seemed like you were using the term Marxism/Marxist as catch-all term for authoritarian government despite the class system being alive and well in Canada with no end in sight. So I was a bit confused. 

No, Marxism just seems to be the trend we're seeing coming out of universities and slowly infiltrating corporations, government, laws etc. The tribal groups (proletariat vs bourgeoisie!) the attacks on free speech, the attacks on capitalism etc, etc...

Eroding away rights to the state/police is part of it but it's not a synonym for Marxism or whatever it is you thought I was claiming :lol: 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No, Marxism just seems to be the trend we're seeing coming out of universities and slowly infiltrating corporations, government, laws etc. The tribal groups (proletariat vs bourgeoisie!) the attacks on free speech, the attacks on capitalism etc, etc...

Eroding away rights to the state/police is part of it but it's not a synonym for Marxism or whatever it is you thought I was claiming :lol: 

Ah, what you're talking about is cultural Marxism, the conspiracy theory. Actual Marxism would be an odd thing to fear in 2019. 

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Ah, what you're talking about is cultural Marxism, the conspiracy theory. Actual Marxism would be an odd thing to fear in 2019. 

'Actual Marxism' killed 10's of millions of people in the 20th century. It's perfectly healthy to fear in any year.

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

'Actual Marxism' killed 10's of millions of people in the 20th century. It's perfectly healthy to fear in any year.

Sort of. While the communists regimes took on parts of Marx' ideologies, they also had a tendency to pick and choose the parts they liked and come up with their own; hence Leninism, Stalinism and Maoism. 

It's kind of like blaming Nietzsche for the Nazis. There's definitely shared elements in there but it really doesn't tell the whole story. 

Again though, you're not talking about Marxism proper. You're referring to cultural Marxism which is a very different thing. 

Archived