The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bobrovsky Suspended by Blue Jackets

HerrDrFunk

Torts is doing this to get fired I kid you guys not.

He had some sort of rift with Luongo, how that happened, I have no clue.  He knows between a star player and the coach, the coach will be let go in the end. 

IN Vancouver his target was Luongo. Once he gets fired, he still gets payed for the duration of his contract.

When he arrived In Columbus Johansen was his target, their star player.  Had a rift with him, he was gone instead of the coach, that didn't work now he's after the star goalie. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Figured y'all would start pointing fingers at Torts with next to nothing to base it off of. Please change CDC. It's embarrassing. 

Have you ever followed Torts?

He has a well deserved reputation for manipulation and antics.  

When he was here he never would turn up for rookie camp, or watch our AHL team play. No direction, or activities to build respect. Let the assistants run morning practice. Did not talk to guys like Burrows for ''months?''  Very publicly gets in a players craw, and lambastes them with verbal barrages. Calls them out post game. Then there is trying to get in the other dressing room to scrap the opposing coach. Psychotic?  

I've read that as much as 10% of the worlds most successful people? Guys in politics, running fortune 500 company's. Fit the clinical definition of a psychopath. 

Torts has won a Stanley Cup?

I still would not want to play for him.

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Have you ever followed Torts?

He has a well deserved reputation for manipulation and antics.  

When he was here he never would turn up for rookie camp, or watch our AHL team play. No direction, or activities to build respect. Let the assistants run morning practice. Did not talk to guys like Burrows for ''months?''  Very publicly gets in a players craw, and lambastes them with verbal barrages. Calls them out post game. Then there is trying to get in the other dressing room to scrap the opposing coach. Psychotic?  

I've read that as much as 10% of the worlds most successful people? Guys in politics, running fortune 500 company's. Fit the clinical definition of a psychopath. 

Torts has won a Stanley Cup?

I still would not want to play for him.

He's done more than win a Cup...as I mentioned before, he's won "NHL Coach of the Year" twice  (once fairly recently - with his current team).

Problem is, he's got a short shelf life (re: for the very reasons you outlined).

He's the choice SOME GMs will use as a last resort option to save their jobs (ie., probably Gillis) as they're not concerned with the long-term effects of such a coach.

Oddly enough, the Sedins still think highly of him (course, given that their both so classy, I wouldn't expect them to bad mouth *ANYBODY*...still, Torts also views them with equal reverence).

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

He had some sort of rift with Luongo, how that happened, I have no clue.  He knows between a star player and the coach, the coach will be let go in the end. 

IN Vancouver his target was Luongo. Once he gets fired, he still gets payed for the duration of his contract.

When he arrived In Columbus Johansen was his target, their star player.  Had a rift with him, he was gone instead of the coach, that didn't work now he's after the star goalie. 

Johansen doesn't seem to be the greatest guy either. They got Seth Jones out of it, so I think that worked out pretty well. Bobrovsky is a pending UFA that seems to not want to re-sign and has a full NTC, so maybe Torts is trying to piss him off so he will waive and they can actually get something for him before he walks. With that said, I don't think there was anything to indicate that this suspension has to do with something between Bobrovsky and Torts as far as I can tell other than speculation, but Torts was expecting to play him in the next game before he was suspended.

16 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

That might make sense if Bobrovsky was locked in long term. But he's an impending UFA, who is rumoured to be looking for a Price-type contract. He also has a NMC, so CBJ is at his mercy, even if they want to trade him.

Giving Bob the gears like this could have benefits to the team. Maybe it makes Bob waive his NMC so the team can get something that helps them long term. Or maybe it makes Bob realize he's not the franchise, and consider taking a bit less money/term.

At the very least, it helps the rest of the team be confident that, whatever happens with Bob, they are still a good team...they don't NEED him. Even though Korpisalo's stats have been below average, he's 7-2-2, so the team definitely plays hard for him.

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Would it be smart to sell high on Markstrom? I mean he is having a career year. Or has Markstrom finally got over the peak and can be considered a NHL starter now? 

Despite Markstrom's hot run of late, his numbers overall this season isn't far off from his numbers from the past couple of years. How quickly people forget how much he struggled for a while there. If he can play out the rest of the year the way he's been playing lately, then maybe he's found a new level to his game and that might mean a playoff spot if so. So assuming this is just an up portion of the season and he might regress back to his norm (hopefully Demko eases the down portion), then I still believe he's always been an NHL starter, but rather just lower levelled one (think Jake Allen, Brian Elliot, etc). 

Ideally Demko comes guns ablazing and takes over the starting duties within two seasons, but there is risk that either he's not ready to do so or he doesn't live up to the expectations. So do we ride Markstrom while we wait for Demko to blossom? I think having Demko up this early is to see how we will handle the future with the goaltending situation. Keep in mind that the next few years, we will be gradually bringing in rookie dmen and more younger forwards, so that will have an impact towards how a young "inexperienced" netminder may fare.

This is why I personally am considering the idea of getting someone like Bobrovsky (on a reasonable contract) but maybe not through trade as it may cost too many young assets and we don't know if he will extend here. By having a two time Vezina winner, it would certainly expedite the goaltending situation and maximize the Pettersson years while on an ELC. Demko will have an excellent goaltender to look up to and we have seen this in the league like Korpisalo, Saros, Talbot, Schneider, etc who have developed behind top end goalies. Korpisalo and Saros are likely groomed to take over and Talbot and Schneider were dealt for a pretty good return, so I'm not concerned towards Demko's development behind a goalie like Bobrovsky. Demko could get around 20 games next season (Schneider got 25 games at the same age), then progressively increase if Bobrovsky's play dips. But if Bobrovsky sustains his play, which many top end goalies seem to be able to do, then we will have a pretty good trade piece that could bolster our team where we need help and still have DiPietro also to take over the developmental role.

Anyway, this is a long winded answer to your question in that I would certainly sell high on Markstrom if getting Bobrovsky in a reasonable manner is possible IMO.

Archived