The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-PHI

So just watched TSN Insider Trading and Pierre LeBrun was saying how the Flyers are looking for a top 4 veteran D to mentor their younger players, 2/3C to take pressure off Giroux and Couturier and a goalie so that Carter Hart can develop.

With a log jam of forwards on the Canucks (i.e. Gaudette being ready to play), I see the Canucks parting way with Brandon Sutter. He is definteley a  responsible, defensive 2C/3C that the Flyers can use which takes the defensive responsibility away from Giroux. He is also only 29 years old with term on a not so bad contract (4.375)

I know everyone is also thinking of trading Markstrom as that is probably the perfect player the Flyers would want (a goalie stop gap) but i think he is too valuable to the Canucks to trade at the moment, unless Demko shows between now and TDL that we can take over #1

Finally, a veteran defensemen (top 4) that the Flyers can use to mentor their younger players. Chris Tanev can be had at 4.45 for this year and next so once again a player with term. They have a lot of offensive minded defensemen (e.g. Ghost) so he can help stablize their defense

To Philadelphia

Chris Tanev

Brandon Sutter

To Vancouver

Travis Sanheim

Vancouver gets a 22 year old defensemen who can be part of the future. He is a mobile defensemen with offensive upside although he has not shown it yet in the NHL. Flyers already have young defensemen in Hagg, Ghost, Provorov, philippe myers so sanheim becomes expendable

Just now, PunjabiCanucks said:

Tanev + Sutter

for Sanheim + Simmonds  

Simmonds gives us a physical presence in our top 6 / on the LW

This I like.  Putting in Simmonds makes this more attractive for sure.  Still, I’d want Ghost over Sanheim.  

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This I like.  Putting in Simmonds makes this more attractive for sure.  Still, I’d want Ghost over Sanheim.  

Trouble is Alf, he is a UFA at the end of the year, and will want a long term contract in the range of 6 to 7 million......

I don't suggest we do that...….

Now if we flip him for a 1st, I am ok with that

I also take Sanheim over Ghost (Ghost is playing about 1/2 of his points in comparison from the year before)

Ghost is also a lot smaller, and will disappear in the playoffs (Booooo!) LOL...joke! get it? Boo! Haha!

Ahhhhhh never mind...……..

I will admit though I am a Flyers fan I find following them to be a headache so I am more out of the loop with them lately than I have been in years past. 

I am not sure I see the Flyers having much interest in this type of trade though. They are 1 point out of last place in the entire NHL and are going to be sellers. The trade talk in Philly primarily revolves around trading players like Simmonds and Voracek and possibly even Giroux. 

Sanheim's development has been slow but he is still only 80 or so games in his career and Hakstol buried him in the line up. He is now getting 20+ minutes a game and actually being given a chance to develop. I don't see why Philly would trade him at this juncture. 

I also don't really see Sutter or Tanev making much sense for them. Philadelphia has been shuffling their line ups wildly every game now since Hakstol has been fired (using centers at various wings etc) but they have Giroux, Couturier, and Patrick as centers. Sutter wouldn't top Couturier and if you are about to rebuild it doesn't make much sense to bury Patrick's ice time further for a 30 year old. Sutter just looks like he log jams them more at center. Tanev would fit in better but I don't think it would be worth giving up Sanheim when they could get another veteran defenseman to be a mentor like figure ether from the upcoming FA after selling or in one of the trades themselves if they are to move one or some of Voracek, Simmonds, Giroux. 

That is also just my own take. I think the Flyers are also a poorly run organization right now that may be in denial about the season being over so I wouldn't be shocked if they made some bad moves lol.

On 1/10/2019 at 6:26 PM, PunjabiCanucks said:

Tanev + Sutter

for Sanheim + Simmonds  

Simmonds gives us a physical presence in our top 6 / on the LW

What are reasonable expectations for sanhiem?   Simmonds is 30 and hes a ufa at the end of this year. 

Ide prefer to get Phillies pick somehow. 

13 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

I  really can't see Canucks making any trades with the FLYERS, as they just poached a goalie from us.   Don't forget they tried to poach Kesler to.   Bobby Clarke and his group aren't as I can see it a Canucks trading partner.

Looking at Bob Clarke's resume on Wikipedia he sounds pretty amazing . And all at 5'10 175 lbs.  

So why could I never stand the guy?  

I just never respected players, no matter how good they were if I felt they were dirty players. I love tough players and guys that will go to war. But dirty is dirty. 

However, I see no reason we can't trade with them . 

Archived