The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 10, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

No Petey, got a point. Tied it late to get that point too, so I'll take it.

Without Pettersson, this team is like last year's, but without the twins, so if we can manage getting a point I'll be happy.

Goldobin needs to convert. He had a ton of PP chances point blank.

Bo has been cold too, at least goals wise. Brock as well. Virtanen too.

With Goldy, Bo, Brock, and Virtanen not scoring, it's hard to expect any wins without Pettersson. We're lucky Baertschi doesn't look rusty at all after his concussion.

Game handed to Arizona by poor refereeing... Goldobin pulled down, no call, resulted in Arizona goal opportunity... which was kicked in.

Don't blame Markstrom for final goal... as John said, was a perfect shot... Maybe Markstrom was expecting it to be blocked by Edler... it almost was, but still shot was off the post and in.

Canucks had the chances to win in OT... Bo's being the best... with Kempe making a good save.

Baertschi was the best Canuck of the night.  (although he shouldn't have gotten the first star, should have been Panik)  I always like Baertschi's forecheck, he has great anticipation and controls the puck well along the boards.  He was also skating well and putting himself in position to score.  If Pettersson is not back for Sunday's game, then Baertschi should be on a line with Bo and Boes...  Killer B's again.   B)

I am not too worried about the loss, they did play well in the 2nd and 3rd and came back "Thrice" as John likes to say.

Sorry to say, but Goldobin should not be on the 1st Unit PP... Sutter should replace him.  Sutter will score if given the opportunities Goldy had tonight.  Those missed opportunities were the game.  Let Goldy play on the second unit... but don't put him on the point where he can give away the puck for a shorthanded goal.

Nice to see Gaudette get a goal... in many ways, the argument for keeping him up in Van is there... but if he stays, then someone will need to be waived.  Personally I would like to see Schaller waived, I don't think he is worth his salary.

Next!

5 minutes ago, DollarAndADream said:

No Petey, got a point. Tied it late to get that point too, so I'll take it.

Without Pettersson, this team is like last year's, but without the twins, so if we can manage getting a point I'll be happy.

Goldobin needs to convert. He had a ton of PP chances point blank.

Bo has been cold too, at least goals wise. Brock as well. Virtanen too.

With Goldy, Bo, Brock, and Virtanen not scoring, it's hard to expect any wins without Pettersson. We're lucky Baertschi doesn't look rusty at all after his concussion.

Everyone's cold, I'm surprised we got 3 considering how none existent the offence has been. Hope EP comes back soon 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Game handed to Arizona by poor refereeing... Goldobin pulled down, no call, resulted in Arizona goal opportunity... which was kicked in.

Don't blame Markstrom for final goal... as John said, was a perfect shot... Maybe Markstrom was expecting it to be blocked by Edler... it almost was, but still shot was off the post and in.

Canucks had the chances to win in OT... Bo's being the best... with Kempe making a good save.

Baertschi was the best Canuck of the night.  (although he shouldn't have gotten the first star, should have been Panik)  I always like Baertschi's forecheck, he has great anticipation and controls the puck well along the boards.  He was also skating well and putting himself in position to score.  If Pettersson is not back for Sunday's game, then Baertschi should be on a line with Bo and Boes...  Killer B's again.   B)

I am not too worried about the loss, they did play well in the 2nd and 3rd and came back "Thrice" as John likes to say.

Sorry to say, but Goldobin should not be on the 1st Unit PP... Sutter should replace him.  Sutter will score if given the opportunities Goldy had tonight.  Those missed opportunities were the game.  Let Goldy play on the second unit... but don't put him on the point where he can give away the puck for a shorthanded goal.

Nice to see Gaudette get a goal... in many ways, the argument for keeping him up in Van is there... but if he stays, then someone will need to be waived.  Personally I would like to see Schaller waived, I don't think he is worth his salary.

Next!

2 players need to be waived if Gaudette stays up.  Schaller is already in the pressbox.  To add Leivo and Pettersson and play Gaudette they need to take out 2 Fs from the lineup.

26 minutes ago, Caknuckle Puck said:

Pettersson deserves better than our entire team

My goodness, the boo-birds are out again after two losses and a tie.  :rolleyes:

No team wins with a single player... or haven't you been watching the Coilers lately?

Pettersson has needed a supporting cast to do well.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

2 players need to be waived if Gaudette stays up.  Schaller is already in the pressbox.  To add Leivo and Pettersson and play Gaudette they need to take out 2 Fs from the lineup.

You're probably right...  I think Benning is trying to find someone to trade Goldy to... that's why he is on the first unit PP.

If Goldy is traded for a D prospect, then Schaller can be waived... although no one will likely claim his rights.

2 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

I don't know why but I feel like the Canucks rarely if ever beat the Coyotes.  They're the Canucks kryptonite.

I'd say the Jets are, but Vancouver hasn't been the greatest over the years, so there are probably a few.

49 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Markstrom after the game:

"They still don't have any soccer fans in Toronto, so, I don't know how they don't call that back. It's happened before, it's going to happen again, and we need to get some soccer fans in Toronto. It's very frustrating, and it's not the first time, so... *deep sigh*"

good for Marky speaking out......i like his passive aggressive analogy.

The joke refereeing needs some help from Toronto or the league. Just make it legal to kick the puck into the net! How hard is that, then the NHL won't look like bush league when they say it went off the top of his skate or it was his skate lace that made the contact. It was pretty obvious it was kicked in. 

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I watched the last 8.5 minutes of the third and all the OT. We handily outplayed them during that time period.

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Baertschi Brock and Bo ... tripple B line has to be together at least until EP is back

2 hours ago, Haydnucks said:

How’d Pouiliot play? Can’t believe I’m asking this....pin all seriousness he had no giveaways and a O in the plus minus. In Mexico couldn’t watch.

I was at the game tonight and it was a frustrating loss, although there were some bright spots. Since I was there I thought I would write a summary. To me the things that stood out were the following.

1. The first period was about the Canuck's weakest offensive period that I can remember this season, apart from they were protecting a lead in the third. They failed to register a shot on goal in the first 15 minutes. In fact, the first shot was by Adam Gaudette at 15:27 and it was an unscreened shot from a long way out. The Canucks had a bit of a flurry late and ended up 5 shots on goal in total. But only one of those shots was close to being dangerous -- by Baertschi from in close. 

That said, the Canucks did not give up much in the first period. Arizona had a big territorial advantages but only got 7 shots on goal with only a couple of high danger chances.

2. The second period was completely different. The Canucks dominated play and outshot and outchanced Arizona by a big margin and were unlucky to finish the period in a 2-2 tie. Even before he scored, I thought Baertschi was the best Canuck on the ice. He had a lot of jump tonight -- getting to pucks quickly.

3. The first Arizona goal was deflating. Guddy made a hard pass around to Tanev, who was on the left side. That pass would have been easier to handle for a left-handed D, but I guess the Canucks were caught in an incomplete change. The result was a giveaway. Ultimately the puck was passed in front where Guddy and Panik were waiting. Panik got to the puck more quickly. I am not saying that Guddy made bad plays on that goal. I am saying that a guy with a better feel for the puck and quicker hands would probably have prevented that goal.

4. Baertschi came back with a very nice goal on a great pass from Tanev.

5. The second Arizona goal came against the run of the play. Goldy had a good opportunity at the Arizona end and it looked like he might have been tripped. But he spent too long lying on the ice and Arizona took the puck the other way and scored. Possibly the puck was kicked in. But I thought Marky should have handled the initial shot better. Opinion on CDC seems divided on Marky tonight. I thought he was fighting the puck at bit and not tracking it as well as he has in recent games. That was the last shift Goldy played on the Horvat line. Baertschi moved on to that line and it  played better from then on.

6. Great to see Gaudette score. And it was a nice goal in the sense that it resulted from doing the right thing -- going to the net and getting to the puck first. He played hard tonight and played pretty well, but he made a mistake on the third Arizona goal. He had an opportunity to get the puck out but did not do so. He just needed to bear down and get the puck out. And it did not help that Goldy was floating out over the blue line on that play.

7. The Canucks outplayed Arizona in the third and in OT, with a significant territorial advantage. They had a lot of good looks on the PP but could not bury the puck.

8. As for individual players, here is my read:

i) Baertschi had an excellent game, dangerous offensively and responsible defensively.

ii)Edler was a rock. The winning goal may have ticked in off his stick but I don't think he made any mistake on that play. The Canucks should re-sign him ASAP. He is 32 years old -- younger than Jay Beagle (33). GIven the way he is playing there is every reason to believe that he will be a valuable D for at least another 3 years. Too many things can go wrong if the the Canucks persuade him to drop his NTC and trade him, although I admit it would be tempting if they could get a first round pick.

iii) Gaudette looks promising. He is another bright spot.

iv) To answer Haydnucks, Pouliot was pretty good tonight. I worry about confirmation bias in my views -- I see what I expect to see. But I expect to see Pouliot screw up a lot and that did not happen tonight. He was solid. He did not create much offense but he did not give up anything on D.

v) Boeser was disappointing tonight. There seems to be some controversy over his play. He just was not sharp tonight. It happens. Boeser has a great shot and a high hockey IQ. And he tries to play responsible defense. But he does not drive play and, if his timing is a bit off, as it was tonight, he will have a quiet night. He is still a legitimate first line winger and a very good player, but I think there has been a  tendency to over-rate him. Obviously he benefits a lot if he can play with EP, but EP is the guy driving play.

vi) I was expecting Goldy to do some floating tonight and this time I did see what I expected. He makes life tough on his center (Bo or Gaudette tonight) because they have to cover for his defensive lapses. However, he had some good looks tonight, especially on the PP, and should have buried something. I am not sure that is good or bad: good that he gets in position for good chances or bad that he cannot bear down and bury more chances.

vi) The Beagle and Sutter lines did not generate much but they did not give up much either. Most of the chances came from the Horvat line and the Gaudette line. (Horvat and Baertschi each had 6 shots and Gaudette, Boeser and Goldy had 3 each.)

Bottom line: The Canucks should have won but at least they got to OT and it great to Baertschi and Gaudette doing well.

Archived