The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 10, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, coastal1 said:

I have no sources and what i am saying here is simply my opinion. Erickson has 3 more years after this one and Sutter 2 more.

Those are pretty much unmoveable contracts.

Two words, David Clarkson.

And do you think someone would take on the Schaller contract? Or Gudbranson's .

Schaller, probably not, but Gudbranson, yes I do.  A playoff team would take that on in a second.

The Canucks would have to keep a lot of the cap hit.

For Eriksson, probably. As mentioned previously, there were a few teams interested in Sutter last year around playoff time.

They certainly have ability but all those contracts are horrible.

Eriksson's is pretty bad, but the other three, when you look at the league overall from a salary perspective are not that bad at all.

And good that you recognize that the Canucks are still at this time in the bottom echelons of the league, going to overtime with Ottawa and Arizona, for example.

Top teams have lost to both aforementioned teams this year. Overall, the team is a few players away from being consistently competitive. They've shown flashes of brilliance this season, and they have also shown all the passion of a flat tire, as well. The more players on this team that are invested and capable of keeping up, the better things will be.

Some fans have rose colored glasses sometimes and think that this team is close.

Close to competing, or close to being a contender? This team has shown, that it can compete....when it wants to. You don't beat Boston 8-5, if you're a $&!#ty team.

Some great pieces are in place for sure. But it is only a start as you said in your own way, and a very long way to go still.

I don't think it's that long. Within a season or two, realistically.

15 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

"Gave 'em a little more speed on the forecheck than Goldy does, so I thought we'd make the change, and I thought that line was better after we made that change." - Green on putting Baertschi on the top line

Was saying that should happen(BBB LINE) before the game started. He didn't realize that until after? Wow TG. Baertchi is just a "little" better then Goldy. :lol:

2 hours ago, Darth Canuck said:

The Bo, the Brock and The Sven played well tonight. Looks like The Bo is getting his mojo back, he seemed to have lost some jam lately, probably all the wedding planning going on...:lol:

I thought most of the kids played well, Goldy with some slick stick handling, the Guad being, well the Guad, and the Jake was throwing some mass around. I feel bad for Goldy, he had some good shifts, can't buy a goal, Gaud goes out, slames in a deflection. Something tells me Goldy has been given an ultimatum. Perform or else. Jake still needs to intensify!

Ultimatum?

Look, it's really simple.

As a player you have to produce offensively and defending well, or at least one of those exceptionally well. If not, you'll be gone sooner than later.

If you are young and need more time to develop, fine, then you belong in the AHL.

Otherwise, bye bye.

There is no ultimation. That's just daily business.

1 hour ago, Gollumpus said:

I suspect that if Tanev were to go to one of those teams for a 1st, then I suspect that Buffalo would only offer the San Jose pick (as it would be the lowest of the three they have). Colorado might be reluctant to trade a 1st at all as Ottawa's pick could be top-5 (if things keep going as they are) and the Colorado pick could be a lottery pick if things were to go south for the Avalanche for the remainder of the season..

regards,  G.

Don't disagree, there are many reasons for downgrading a pick but the issue is also time, While either first might be huge, they also may not, (ya , Captain Obvious :blush:)  Tanev is still young enough to be around another 6 years but fill a huge need immediately. The hope is that those GM's confidence in their team's to believe an additional piece takes them over the top or deeper towards the grail. The other way is a GM's job on the line and fan pressure. In that case the Canucks might have to give more but they could demand much more back, Tanev and Gaudette plus retention for 2 1rst round (conditional) picks and a D prospect or two to a team already a playoff contender.

If Edler isn't offered a contract then his agent can start marketing him to cities he may like. Anyway it would be in Edler's best interest to start the process of participation in a trade.

IMO if he doesn't care about winning a cup then he isn't a player this team needs, wanting the cup is almost half the battle in getting to have a chance.

Did Brock even play last night? Joking but making a point, can this kid play without EP? Starting to see a trend with Brock, he can't produce unless he's playing with EP it seems. Earlier in the season Green had him with Horvat, and he wasn't producing then put him with EP and then he started producing, then EP got the minor concussion and Brock couldn't produce again, then EP came back and Brock was able to produce again, now with EP out again Brock can't produce again.

37 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Did Brock even play last night? Joking but making a point, can this kid play without EP? Starting to see a trend with Brock, he can't produce unless he's playing with EP it seems. Earlier in the season Green had him with Horvat, and he wasn't producing then put him with EP and then he started producing, then EP got the minor concussion and Brock couldn't produce again, then EP came back and Brock was able to produce again, now with EP out again Brock can't produce again.

Brock is not a driver of offence. Probably never will be. He is a finisher. He thrives on the give and go plays and when paired with EP its a real nice fit. EP is an elite talent who does drive play but also thrives on the give and goes. I think they will be our future studs on offence for years to come. They compliment each other as players and as time goes on will get even better. No problem here.  

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Don't disagree, there are many reasons for downgrading a pick but the issue is also time, While either first might be huge, they also may not, (ya , Captain Obvious :blush:)  Tanev is still young enough to be around another 6 years but fill a huge need immediately. The hope is that those GM's confidence in their team's to believe an additional piece takes them over the top or deeper towards the grail. The other way is a GM's job on the line and fan pressure. In that case the Canucks might have to give more but they could demand much more back, Tanev and Gaudette plus retention for 2 1rst round (conditional) picks and a D prospect or two to a team already a playoff contender.

If Edler isn't offered a contract then his agent can start marketing him to cities he may like. Anyway it would be in Edler's best interest to start the process of participation in a trade.

IMO if he doesn't care about winning a cup then he isn't a player this team needs, wanting the cup is almost half the battle in getting to have a chance.

It was the same with Hamhuis. Eddy and Hamhuis are, and were, great players. I lost a little respect for Hamhuis the way he went out. I hope Eddy goes out swinging instead. I respect  the family and comfort thing. But I can really respect the "I want the effenn cup thing". Its probably not fair of me to comment on it as I am not in their shoes but players that want to win cups at all costs are players I want on my team. Ultimately I hope Eddy goes to a cup favourite this spring and then comes back. I would love to see him or Hamhuis hoist the cup this spring. 

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lol. Did you even watch the game last night? Are you serious right now?
& Did you watch any of the games last season at all? You know where he was going to get 40 goals playing without EP before getting hurt?
He's nearly a point a game. What more do some of you guys want out of the guy? Can't believe people are talking about trading him and trashing him. The guy is a class act. 

And I thought he looked fine last night for the record. 4 shots and plenty of nice plays.

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

how did he score 29 goals and 55 pts in 62 games last year?

9 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Greens hatred for Goldobin is becoming more apparent every game why on earth would you have Sutter on the ice 3 on 3 in OT or even Granlund . Greens coaching style leaves little to be desired . I don't give a rats a$$ if Goldobin has defensive misgivings . You cant add pure talent to a mucker or checker. Ether trade him or play him , sitting him is wrecking the player and his value. 

Even Motte before Sutter and Granlund but with the fine game Goldobin was having I thought he would be out in one of the two first shifts of the OT.

14 minutes ago, 6string said:

Even Motte before Sutter and Granlund but with the fine game Goldobin was having I thought he would be out in one of the two first shifts of the OT.

Green in his post game said he didn't think Goldobin played all that well at 5v5 - he liked him on the PP though.

9 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Greens hatred for Goldobin is becoming more apparent every game why on earth would you have Sutter on the ice 3 on 3 in OT or even Granlund . Greens coaching style leaves little to be desired . I don't give a rats a$$ if Goldobin has defensive misgivings . You cant add pure talent to a mucker or checker. Ether trade him or play him , sitting him is wrecking the player and his value. 

I didn't see the game because of the sportsnet/shaw issue, but if they are giving up on Goldy, they should let him get the easy points and build him up into something good to be traded at the deadline. Tearing the kid down does nothing. I'm still of the opinion that he brings a level of passing and play making that is hard to find and I agree with JB that he sees the ice very well, perhaps only second to EP40. It is sometimes worth it to suffer some shortcomings to keep that kind of talent. If Green can't be patient, then he should be told to build the kid up for a trade.

Archived