The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Trade Baertschi before he's done

Baertschi played well last night, scored a couple of goals, but he's looked rusty prior to this game. I tend to agree with the OP though. Baertschi is a good player, and showed last night he can score, create plays. But his durability concerns me, especially if he sees any playoff time. I'd be okay with a trade if it improves the Top 6.

11 hours ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

Don't get me wrong I think Sven Baertschi is a useful player for the Canucks but he is one injury away from his career potentially being done and he's only 26 so it's a given he's going to get injured atleast another time in his NHL career. I think we should get value for him while he still has some and before he gets a potential career ending injury.

I've said in other Baertschi trade threads that he's worked hard to get where he is and he's earned his spot on this team. 

His last injury was the result of a cheap shot that would've injured any player and, in no way, should be related to his resiliency as a player.

Furthermore, he's shown no signs of side effects and seems to be picking up right where he left off; providing effective play at both ends of the ice.

He deserves more respect than he gets and should be looked at as a valuable part of our core moving forward.

We need to be looking at shedding players like Granlund, Pouliot, MDZ, and Goldy for whatever we can get for them

What is the proposal here?  Trade Sven, he gets injured when he is bashed in the head!  Trade him for what?  Sure if Edmonton wants to give away McDavid for him I guess we take it, but let’s be realistic here. Sven is the best LW we have right now and he just came back from an injury. Let him play, score and succeed as their are very few GM’s looking around for good 2nd line LW who just came back from a severe concussion. 

Watch a few games, drink some beer, enjoy the return of another player that actually possesses some skill out there. If he does well and an offer you can’t refuse pops up take it, but no one needs him more than we do right now and will only pay up accordingly. Buy low (which we did) and only sell high. This is not a proposal it’s simply a short sighted view after an unfortunate injury. Hockey is a full contact sport and people get hurt. Even Salo had a pretty impressive career and I for one am glad he was here for a lot of it. 

Well he has some skills. his PPG have increased each year, but is a poor skater who lacks the mettle to win board battles... He is the type of player I would guess that gets smothered in the playoffs unless he is playing with the right line mates. I would love an upgrade to be honest, we do not have another top 6 player to replace him as of yet so a trade is not much of an option unless he part of a package. He isn't a bad place holder until we develop another top 6 guy. Never been a huge fan otherwise.

2 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Well he has some skills. his PPG have increased each year, but is a poor skater who lacks the mettle to win board battles... He is the type of player I would guess that gets smothered in the playoffs unless he is playing with the right line mates. I would love an upgrade to be honest, we do not have another top 6 player to replace him as of yet so a trade is not much of an option unless he part of a package. He isn't a bad place holder until we develop another top 6 guy. Never been a huge fan otherwise.

At the lower levels it's the opposite that happened.  

He kept on raising his game while others faded - Baer really shined in the deeper end of the playoffs for Portland. There are quotes by McKenzie at his draft and even a documentary the year after talking about how impressive he was in that environment.  

For his emergency recall Calgary was fighting for the final wildcard spot against their direct opponents - it was must win games and was as close as can be to a playoff atmosphere.  Some teams were apparently considering logging a complaint because he scored key goals for them and they were wondering if Calgary was not trying to keep him up longer than they should.  

10 hours ago, mll said:

At the lower levels it's the opposite that happened.  

He kept on raising his game while others faded - Baer really shined in the deeper end of the playoffs for Portland. There are quotes by McKenzie at his draft and even a documentary the year after talking about how impressive he was in that environment. 

Fair enough, not like we have seen any playoff time to judge him... I don't put much stock in minor league accomplishments imho

Edmonton is rumored to be seriously looking for secondary scoring.

Baertschi would certainly fill that role.

Wonder if they'd give up their first pick for him, given that we're in the same division and a larger price must be paid.

P.S. I previously stated that Baer has earned his spot on this team and I stand by it but, if Edmonton were willing to go that far, I'd have to say goodbye to Baer.

Yes, quickly, retain salary if needed.

52 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

P.S. I previously stated that Baer has earned his spot on this team and I stand by it but, if Edmonton were willing to go that far, I'd have to say goodbye to Baer.

Yes this team, the one that is the worst in the league during his tenure here, him being top six on this team is not the same as playoff teams. I can't see any playoff team wanting him, he doesn't hit enough, engage in forechecking enough, drive a line, one concussion away from retirement, he has no playoff experience and he isn't big enough to fill in a 3rd/4th line role.

going on 5 years playing on the team he has 55 goals, 15 a year? I could see Schaller getting more interest.

• 4 weeks later...

Canucks will probably hang on to him, rather than try to trade him. I can't see another team giving the Canucks much in return. Canucks will downplay the concussion and preach patience while he recovers. But really, his career is on thin ice, I would be very surprised to see him return to form and produce.   

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks will probably hang on to him, rather than try to trade him. I can't see another team giving the Canucks much in return. Canucks will downplay the concussion and preach patience while he recovers. But really, his career is on thin ice, I would be very surprised to see him return to form and produce.   

He'll be fine.

Archived