The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

You know TG won't give any orders. My guess is we won't go after him and just play our game. If the right opportunity arises, I would be happy to see someone fight Matheson but I wonder who on our roster would take on that responsibility. 

We don’t need to get even but we do need guys on this team to stick up for EP.  The word is out about his skill level and he has a huge target on his back. Our team toughness as a whole is pathetic. Regardless of who is on the ice, if someone takes liberties, especially if it’s dirty, get in there and deal with him, regardless if your a fighter or not. 

I’d prefer to “get even” by laying the body on him a few times and getting a big 2 points. 

Did anyone not see Beagle come to Virtanen’s defence last night? We have pushback on this team and they stand up for each other. While I’d love to see guys punch opponents faces in for breathing on our better players, it’s just not really the way the league is played anymore. 

Closeline the punk every chance, and make sure a leg gets behind his legs so he goes down hard.   Ok ... part of me would like that very much.  I’m sure nothing will happen.   I’m also sure if one of our other players gets a cheap shot nothing will happen too, because we know a two minute roughing penalty could kill our chances of making the playoffs, god forbid we take an instigator penalty or something probably miss next years playoffs too.

The guy was suspended, we need to get over this.  

I'm fine with challenging him to a fight early on, and if he declines, then he'll look like a coward and that will be way worst than getting a few punches in the face.  Otherwise, I wouldn't chase him around, we'll end up paying for it anyways by being suspended.  

But the real payback would be to get physical (but legal) with their top players.  Unfortunately, we don't have the team for that.

16 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

The guy was suspended, we need to get over this.  

I'm fine with challenging him to a fight early on, and if he declines, then he'll look like a coward and that will be way worst than getting a few punches in the face.  Otherwise, I wouldn't chase him around, we'll end up paying for it anyways by being suspended.  

But the real payback would be to get physical (but legal) with their top players.  Unfortunately, we don't have the team for that.

prob the most reasonable reply so far

I don’t think they should chase him around, but you make him pay by playing extra hard against him. Finish every check, make sure he’s got at least a couple guy pushing him around/face washes in scrums and trash talking. Get him off his game and make him look bad. If he gets frustrated enough to want to fight someone then perfect, have someone punch his lights out and everyone wins 

Play him hard, but don't chase him around... It should have been dealt with instantly. 

They didn't, the league did, end off.

If Canucks start to chase around looking for revenge, I fear the league will come hard on them. The Bertuzzi/Moore incident is still too fresh in mind...

And they call us chicken swedes... 

Cmon guys. He slammed the superstar of Vancouver and caused a concussion damn it. What signals do you want to send to rest of the league? What happens in the playoff if he is a free target? Guy weighs 75 kg and is 20 year rookie, some one stand up for him. 

Archived