The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

14 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

No it is not time to get even with Matheson.

He got suspended and that is enough.

He also apologized and the NHL will watch this game.

It is when the player is not suspended that a message needs to be sent.

Yup

But they should look for every opportunity to land punishing hits on him. Hit so hard that he lays on the ice thinking about it. 

I think it's that a lot of fans, including me, are so dang frustrated with so many other incedents that we build up our frustration and want to vent it all out at once.  I'm still p'ssd about the two blind head shots on Baer and Stecher getting nothing on top of EP's muggings.

But Matheson was suspended and apologized. Hit him legal - but hit him hard.

It is not about "getting even with Matheson".

But that seems like it might be a reasonable place to start.

It is about morale and team spirit.

The team needs to rally 'round and stand up for each other and (at least attempt) to beat the crap out of anyone messing with anyone on the team.

And they need to do it every time until everybody gets it.

Save the 'turn the other cheek' crap for non-professional sports.

There is a lot of money on the line and families fear their hockey playing members will get injured, perhaps permanently.

Matheson concussed Pettersson well after the whistle with a WWF move that has zero, none, no place in hockey.

If Pettersson had been unable to return to playing hockey, you might be able to see how important this is.

Everybody in hockey should know that we are not going to take it anymore.

Doesn't matter if it is Beagle, Stetch, Boesser, or Gudbranson getting jobbed.

It demands an immediate and overwhelming response.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

This country has too many soft willed "turn the other cheek" liberals. It makes me sick. I hope Matheson gets a beat down.  

The Canucks should sign Bertuzzi for one game just so he can show us his signature move ONE MORE TIME!!

I'd argue that the "soft willed" ones are actually the ones who are easily ignited and want revenge. Their minds tend to be "weaker" so they react instead of think. ;) It's the irony of it all really. Anger is actually a form a fear but people don't like to think about it that way.

And why is it that people immediately blame politics on things that have nothing to do with politics? I'm not even what I would classify as a liberal. lol

58 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I'd argue that the "soft willed" ones are actually the ones who are easily ignited and want revenge. Their minds tend to be "weaker" so they react instead of think. ;) It's the irony of it all really. Anger is actually a form a fear but people don't like to think about it that way.

And why is it that people immediately blame politics on things that have nothing to do with politics? I'm not even what I would classify as a liberal. lol

Yeah I figured You would lol.

Anyway, I hope a Canuck busts Matheson's face.

On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:58 AM, NHTyrany said:

It's worse than the 70s. Enforcers are almost extinct yet the officials let head shots and other cheap shots happen without penalty and where there are no penalties, you rarely see suspensions. It's bad for the game as talent and excitement is smothered and in some cases destroyed. There is no need for revenge when you feel justice is served. When you're left disgusted and wanting, the notion of revenge is alive and well.

It's not a coincidence that both Pettey's injuries were behind the play, he can handle himself well within the rules of the game but what can you do when the other players and the officials ignore the basic rules? League ineptitude or malicious strategy is what's creating these negative sentiments.  Until the league gets it shat together, team enforcement and deterrents are required. This team is still way too soft and individualistic. Sutter's concept of team culture is a glass foundation.

I get the league comes down hard on goonery and distinctly recall the Torts/Sestito debacle in California. Funny how it only applies to some teams though. Until we have the makings of a play-off team, we should care more about team culture and protection and less about wins. I guess the owners are willing to sacrifice star budding talent for the potential for one play-off round. So sad.

I do however agree with you one thing: instigator must go and you will see respect back in the game but with the way the rules are being set-up, nothing much we can do unless we take a penalty to send a message and 2 points are too valuable with the way the parity within the league and lose our two points against Florida.   There will be time for revenge in future years but revenge is already best served cold when Matheson became a turtle and the reputation will stick with him for rest of his career by other players/teams.   

For everyone that's been clamoring for 'old-time hockey', or a return to the "protection"/enforcer era, what you saw last night was precisely the result of virtually every liberty taken at the expense of a 'star' in the past.  There's no real 'protection' - what there is is retroactive 'justice' and it takes the relatively ineffective and somewhat unsatisfying form that it did last night.

Enforcers (ie in this case Gudbranson) never simply went out and exacted revenge on the perpetrator - that just never happened.  What would happen is precisely what happened last night - both teams roll out their heavies - Matheson, not being a realistic person to answer for himself to someone like Gudbranson, sits on the sideline and watches as his team's heavy (Haley) faces the music for him.  The alternative is a guy in his weight class (ie a Roussel or Horvat) gets in Matheson's face, and perhaps Matheson obliges that invitation (which he did not appear to last night).  So it defaulted to Haley taking punches on Matheson's behalf.

Anyhow - everyone whining about Gudbranson not doing what you perceive his job to be - well there it was in plain sight for most folks that simply don't understand - a player like Gudbranson simply does not pound on an inferior opponent like Matheson - that's not how it works and never did.

He "did his job" - for those of you assuming it's his job to 'enforce' or answer for every liberty that takes place.

Are you satisfied now?  Was 'justice' served?

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

For everyone that's been clamoring for 'old-time hockey', or a return to the "protection"/enforcer era, what you saw last night was precisely the result of virtually every liberty taken at the expense of a 'star' in the past.  There's no real 'protection' - what there is is retroactive 'justice' and it takes the relatively ineffective and somewhat unsatisfying form that it did last night.

Enforcers (ie Gudbranson) never simply went out and exacted revenge on the perpetrator - that just never happened.  What would happen is precisely what happened last night - Matheson, not being a realistic person to answer for himself to someone like Gudbranson, sits on the sideline and watches as his team's heavy (Haley) faces the music for him.  The alternative is a guy in his weight class (ie a Roussel) gets in Matheson's face, and perhaps Matheson obliges that invitation (which he did not appear to last night).

Anyhow - everyone whining about Gudbranson not doing what you perceive his job to be - well there it was in plain sight for most folks that simply don't understand - a player like Gudbranson simply does not pound on an inferior opponent like Matheson - that's not how it works and never did.

He "did his job" - for those of you assuming it's his job to 'enforce' or answer for every liberty that takes place.

Are you satisfied now?  Was 'justice' served?

I agree for the most part.

The thing you have to factor in is the incident that creates the atmosphere.   If it's something like a hard check into the boards that a team takes offense to because a player is left in a heap, sure.  But I would have been perfectly fine with Gud going for Matheson...a fair enough trade off when you look at: 

a.  the dirty deed that was away from the play and wasn't an acceptable "hockey" play

b.  Matheson didn't seem to care that he had 20 lbs on a rookie

In a situation like that that was targeted and very uncool...take your lumps by whoever.  

Don't get me wrong, I love how they responded last night...it was a total team effort and that, in my mind, was MUCH more effective than one tough guy addressing things.  I guess you're right when that's the end result.  But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have gotten even more satisfaction from Matheson having to face Guddy.    He proved himself to be cowardly (which cheapens what he did even more), but he didn't hurt enough to likely have learned from it.  Other guys had to cover his butt.

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well that's done. The Canucks took it to him hard, and exposed him for the coward he is. Job well done. Matheson won't even look at Petterson the next time they play, I'm thinking.

If he did, he'd basically be disrespecting his own team....the one that had to cover for him and do the dirty work that he wouldn't do.  Bawk.

The guy was a coward all game long. He not only lost the respect from his opponents but he also lost any respect his teammate has had in him. You make the mistake, you answer your bell. If he would of fight one of Horvat, Roussel or Virtanen, it would of considered settled and the game could be play like regular game. Because of his cowardice, the Canucks hatred against him fueled up the entire team for a full game and they played with much passion that resulted in a Panthers lost. If he was any smart, he should of just fought Bo when Bo challenged him. Each of them would have to sit for 5 min each in the box for the fight, and in this case that's an advantage to the Panthers because Bo is one of our best offensive players and in a game we are already without Pettersson, if they can get Bo in the box for 5 min that is a huge advantage for them. But no, that coward backed-off. Now not only the Canucks hate him, but his teammates would also not look at him fondly. I love the passion the boys showed in yesterday's game, it was a perfect physical, message sent game. We also run up the score to add salt to their wound at the end.

On a side note, not sure if this was broadcasted on TV, but in the 3rd period during a scrum which McCann was involved in, I saw Hutton smiling and waving at an angry McCann as he was skating back to his bench. I thought that was halirious.

1 minute ago, ruilin96 said:

The guy was a coward all game long. He not only lost the respect from his opponents but he also lost any respect his teammate has had in him. You make the mistake, you answer your bell. If he would of fight one of Horvat, Roussel or Virtanen, it would of considered settled and the game could be play like regular game. Because of his cowardice, the Canucks hatred against him fueled up the entire team for a full game and they played with much passion that resulted in a Panthers lost. If he was any smart, he should of just fought Bo when Bo challenged him. Each of them would have to sit for 5 min each in the box for the fight, and in this case that's an advantage to the Panthers because Bo is one of our best offensive players and in a game we are already without Pettersson, if they can get Bo in the box for 5 min that is a huge advantage for them. But no, that coward backed-off. Now not only the Canucks hate him, but his teammates would also not look at him fondly. I love the passion the boys showed in yesterday's game, it was a perfect physical, message sent game. We also run up the score to add salt to their wound at the end.

On a side note, not sure if this was broadcasted on TV, but in the 3rd period during a scrum which McCann was involved in, I saw Hutton smiling and waving at an angry McCann as he was skating back to his bench. I thought that was halirious.

Hutty is gold.  He has such a great attitude, having fun but also takes it very seriously.  I, too, saw a moment like that with him.  A very positive player to have on the bench...seemingly just LOVES this game and it shows.    

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I agree for the most part.

The thing you have to factor in is the incident that creates the atmosphere.   If it's something like a hard check into the boards that a team takes offense to because a player is left in a heap, sure.  But I would have been perfectly fine with Gud going for Matheson...a fair enough trade off when you look at: 

a.  the dirty deed that was away from the play and wasn't an acceptable "hockey" play

b.  Matheson didn't seem to care that he had 20 lbs on a rookie

In a situation like that that was targeted and very uncool...take your lumps by whoever.  

Don't get me wrong, I love how they responded last night...it was a total team effort and that, in my mind, was MUCH more effective than one tough guy addressing things.  I guess you're right when that's the end result.  But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have gotten even more satisfaction from Matheson having to face Guddy.    He proved himself to be cowardly (which cheapens what he did even more), but he didn't hurt enough to likely have learned from it.  Other guys had to cover his butt.

I can't argue with that dlc, and there are some guys that break 'code' (Gud isn't necessarily that type of guy) - but while Matheson's face might not hurt much, his pride or self-respect has to be hurting, and possibly his perception among team-mates when he had multiple opportunities to answer for himself to guys in his own realistic weight class who aren't 'fighters' themselves - and instead he made a team-mate answer to a guy like Gudbranson on his behalf.  A punch from Horvat or Roussel might not hurt as much in the end?

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

If he did, he'd basically be disrespecting his own team....the one that had to cover for him and do the dirty work that he wouldn't do.  Bawk.

I'd love to see how (and if) Matheson and Haley interacted after that game.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wonder if we broke Florida last night? 

waiting on the news reports of infighting, coaching changes, trades...... 

Cats were a broken team last night.   Very fragile.   There is a lot of talent that was silent.   That goal by Granlund summed up the entire Cats team right now - indifferent and pedestrian.   I don't know what happened on the ice and said in scrums but Vancouver killed the very soul of that team last night and that was way better than any single punch to the head - what was delivered was a punch to an entire rosters gut.

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

Cats were a broken team last night.   Very fragile.   There is a lot of talent that was silent.   That goal by Granlund summed up the entire Cats team right now - indifferent and pedestrian.   I don't know what happened on the ice and said in scrums but Vancouver killed the very soul of that team last night and that was way better than any single punch to the head - what was delivered was a punch to an entire rosters gut.

I mean geez Rob, I just wanted to see Matheson get punched! 

I felt bad for Lu, still one of my favourite players. 

Archived