The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's a very fine line between the two though.

I don't think so.

In my humble opinion:

Confident people believe in their capabilities, and exude a presence that attracts attention without purposely drawing attention to themselves.

Arrogant people exude an air of superiority while purposely trying to attract attention to themselves, usually be comparing themselves to others, usually referring to others less favorably in the process.

One draws on positivity, the other, negativity.

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Barkov could hold his own. We would look foolish going after him. Huberdeau should be the primary target if this were the case. With that said, we shouldn't be going after anyone in retribution. Just play a hard energetic game in general and if there's a good look at a hit on Matheson, then make it happen. Either way he was suspended for the play and it's time to move on if not already.

How can it be fair and square if the person slamming EP geta 2 games off and EP is away 6 games with a cuncussion that may effect his career in the long run. 

Its not even. This guy should get a fat hit in his face next game to state he is not touching EP again. This will show others that you dont touch EP. Some one should stand up for the kid. Otherwise - start producing points and wins when he is away! 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think so.

In my humble opinion:

Confident people believe in their capabilities, and exude a presence that attracts attention without purposely drawing attention to themselves.

Arrogant people exude an air of superiority while purposely trying to attract attention to themselves, usually be comparing themselves to others, usually referring to others less favorably in the process.

One draws on positivity, the other, negativity.

I get they are two different things, but I believe it is a fine line for one to be able to cross over, eg a confident person can become arrogant rather easily or even without knowingly and vice versa. Perspective plays a part too where the Canucks/fans view Pettersson as confident, but the opposition and their fans may view it as arrogant. Therefore a fine line between the two.

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Pettersson is out with another injury not even related to Matheson. No defending Matheson here, but look at how Pettersson plays the game. He pisses off other players with skill no boubt. But check his game; after a hit, after the play... Pettersson is arrogant and attracts retribution from other players. Finally saw it against Montreal. You can get away with the little things he does in the Swedish league; however, not in the NHL where Pettersson is attracting retribution against him.

I just hope he beefs up before he gets a career ending hit on him or plays a bit more with respect for other, lesser skilled players, which incidentally, is almost every other player in the league.

Suggesting Pettersson is arrogant for displaying elite talent that makes regular joes look like pylons is misdirected.  He draws penalties pretty much every game as guys try to defend against him, and if they were calling games by the rule book we’d be on the power play a lot more than we actually are (McDavid, Forsberg, Datsyuk etc are the same way) but the refs won’t do it because there would be way too many penalties one way (which is stupid IMO).  

What EP needs is the team to stand up for him and he ready to take penalties if need be to protect him.   What do you want him to do, dial back his skill a little so he doesnt embarrass guys?  In MTL he had a glorious chance against Price, nothing else was going on and that was a while before K decided to hook him so he couldn’t get back in the play and haul him down.   He don’t do anything on that play to warrant it (he didn’t embarrass anyone or act arrogant as your thread is suggesting) other than just being on the ice.  Ridiculous post.

One can wonder what happens to a guys mindset if you get injured time after time because you outskill opponent, but your teammates doesent stand up for you... 

My guess, it might make you a bit more hesitant and passive. Gretzky had bodyguards his whole career for a reason. 

2 minutes ago, Nuke said:

How can it be fair and square if the person slamming EP geta 2 games off and EP is away 6 games with a cuncussion that may effect his career in the long run. 

Its not even. This guy should get a fat hit in his face next game to state he is not touching EP again. This will show others that you dont touch EP. Some one should stand up for the kid. Otherwise - start producing points and wins when he is away! 

When does it end then? We knock out Matheson and say he's out for 6 games, add in the 2 game suspension, then it's 8 games. Does Florida retaliate back to even it up and so on and so on? The point is yes Pettersson got hurt and it was frustrating, but the league looked at it and gave, IMO, a fair punishment (which is uncommon it seems when it comes to the Canucks). We also won that game and the winning goal was with Matheson being on the ice. I'm not saying we turn our backs on the incident, but we play him regularly and if an opportunity arises, then you take it then instead of looking to injure him back intentionally.

We also don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps Matheson reached out and apologized and the teams have moved on from the incident, so nothing will arise. That doesn't mean that the team is not standing up for Pettersson, but they resolved the issue already and there is no need to take it further.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I get they are two different things, but I believe it is a fine line for one to be able to cross over, eg a confident person can become arrogant rather easily or even without knowingly and vice versa. Perspective plays a part too where the Canucks/fans view Pettersson as confident, but the opposition and their fans may view it as arrogant. Therefore a fine line between the two.

How people view or perceive something is no indication of what something is. Remember, there are people out there that believe they've seen Jesus in an tortilla.

small_DIY%20Jesus%20on%20a%20tortilla%20

The opposition (Matheson, Kotkaneimi) doesn't like Petterson because he's arrogant, IMHO, but because he possesses far greater skill and vision than they do, and when presented with that sobering fact, they feel inadequate and take it out on him.

Now if Petterson skated by the opposition bench after a goal and screamed "EP forever mofos!", then he could be perceived as arrogant.

One can wonder what happens to a guys mindset if you get injured time after time because you outskill opponent, but your teammates doesent stand up for you... 

My guess, it might make you a bit more hesitant and passive. Gretzky had bodyguards his whole career for a reason. 

Gretzky era was a different time when goons were rampant and could take liberties. This is more of the era for rats as they are protected as retaliation is viewed more negatively and instigator rules negate you from defending/protecting your teammates without further punishment onto your own team. You just have to avoid playing to their level and allowing those rats get to you and hope (big wish here) that the league does their jobs in the player safety department.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

When does it end then? We knock out Matheson and say he's out for 6 games, add in the 2 game suspension, then it's 8 games. Does Florida retaliate back to even it up and so on and so on? The point is yes Pettersson got hurt and it was frustrating, but the league looked at it and gave, IMO, a fair punishment (which is uncommon it seems when it comes to the Canucks). We also won that game and the winning goal was with Matheson being on the ice. I'm not saying we turn our backs on the incident, but we play him regularly and if an opportunity arises, then you take it then instead of looking to injure him back intentionally.

We also don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Perhaps Matheson reached out and apologized and the teams have moved on from the incident, so nothing will arise. That doesn't mean that the team is not standing up for Pettersson, but they resolved the issue already and there is no need to take it further.

It ends with a big hit on Matheson. Its called an eye for an eye, been around for thousands of years. 

Just now, Nuke said:

It ends with a big hit on Matheson. Its called an eye for an eye, been around for thousands of years. 

Big hit is one thing, retaliation to injure is another. If you would like for us to throw a big clean hit on him, then sure.

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I hope Guddy breaks his face in a fight like he did with Hamonic. Matheson the punk deserves it.

I highly doubt Matheson would accept an invitation. What was the span of time between when Ekbald was concussed by Hendricks and when Gudbranson beat him down like a rented mule?

Just now, theo5789 said:

Big hit is one thing, retaliation to injure is another. If you would like for us to throw a big clean hit on him, then sure.

I mean a hit to the face. Doesent have to be that hard, but something a bit out of line. Dont want him to get a co concussion, thats not the issue. The big thing is to show the league that no one slams EP again. Hard tackles could work if it makes Matheson limp of the ice. 

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How people view or perceive something is no indication of what something is. Remember, there are people out there that believe they've seen Jesus in an tortilla.

small_DIY%20Jesus%20on%20a%20tortilla%20

The opposition (Matheson, Kotkaneimi) doesn't like Petterson because he's arrogant, IMHO, but because he possesses far greater skill and vision than they do, and when presented with that sobering fact, they feel inadequate and take it out on him.

Now if Petterson skated by the opposition bench after a goal and screamed "EP forever mofos!", then he could be perceived as arrogant.

I guess it'll depend on how "confident" Pettersson really feels to determine which side he lands on. But the fact that there can be a perception to some that he's arrogant (such as the opposition) and some view him as confident (what some of our fanbase feels) make its a fine line IMO. I've seen many people build their confidence until they've become arrogant and it doesn't take much nor do they seem to even realize it.

Just now, theo5789 said:

I guess it'll depend on how "confident" Pettersson really feels to determine which side he lands on. But the fact that there can be a perception to some that he's arrogant (such as the opposition) and some view him as confident (what some of our fanbase feels) make its a fine line IMO. I've seen many people build their confidence until they've become arrogant and it doesn't take much nor do they seem to even realize it.

Agree to disagree.

I mean a hit to the face. Doesent have to be that hard, but something a bit out of line. Dont want him to get a co concussion, thats not the issue. The big thing is to show the league that no one slams EP again. Hard tackles could work if it makes Matheson limp of the ice. 

Headshots are illegal (supposedly). Whatever the case, I'm not going to be disappointed if the Canucks come out of this game without any retribution. If there is, then good on the Canucks for making a stand as long as it's clean.

Archived