The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

The best thing is for Matheson to feel like he's being hunted out there. Anytime a Canuck has the opportunity to hit him with as much force as possible, they need to do so. Hopefully without abandoning their position and creating a scoring chance for the Panthers.

The ideal incident would be for Gudbranson to catch Matheson skating with his head down and just hit him full force, sending him to the bench or even down the hall. No fight, no headshot, no cheap stuff. A simple, clean, quick, and brutal message. I say Gudbranson for three reasons:

1. He's the largest and most damaging hitter overall, when he wants to be.
  2. It would dispel some feelings from the Canuck fanbase that he takes it easy on the Panthers (I do admit to making some reactionary posts in that ill-fated PGT, although I no longer feel that way.)
  3. It might quell the growing disdain for Gudbranson that's been percolating since the game against Toronto.

7 hours ago, timberz21 said:

The guy was suspended, we need to get over this.  

I'm fine with challenging him to a fight early on, and if he declines, then he'll look like a coward and that will be way worst than getting a few punches in the face.  Otherwise, I wouldn't chase him around, we'll end up paying for it anyways by being suspended.  

But the real payback would be to get physical (but legal) with their top players.  Unfortunately, we don't have the team for that.

Put Biega and MDZ on the 4th line an tell them to bash the hell out Fla 

Crosby was out 15 months after a concussion, so yeah, they still affect peoples careers in nhl. Hard that Nash ends his career cuz of it too. 

Show Matheson that he did wrong, smack him hard and legal, or soft and illegal. 

55 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best thing is for Matheson to feel like he's being hunted out there. Anytime a Canuck has the opportunity to hit him with as much force as possible, they need to do so. hopefully without abandoning their position and creating a scoring chance for the Panthers.

The ideal incident would be for Gudbranson to catch Matheson skating with his head down and just hit him full force, sending him to the bench or even down the hall. No fight, no headshot, no cheap stuff. A simple, clean, quick, and brutal message. I say Gudbranson for three reasons:

2. It would dispel some feelings from the Canuck fanbase that he takes it easy on the Panthers (I do admit to making some reactionary posts in that ill-fated PGT, although I no longer feel that way.)
  3. It might quell the growing disdain for Gudbranson that's been percolating since the game against Toronto.

When Petey got dumped by Mike, in our hearts, we all felt dumped. 

10 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

The last time this team "targeted" a guy it was one of the darkest moments in franchise history. Focus on the game. See him, feel free to hit him clean. But don't let him be your focus.

We've targeted people since then and to be honest i dont give a $&!# about moore and im happy bertuzzi ended his career. I bet moore has never been a huge piece of $&!# in his life since.

13 minutes ago, EP-40 said:

We've targeted people since then and to be honest i dont give a $&!# about moore and im happy bertuzzi ended his career. I bet moore has never been a huge piece of $&!# in his life since.

Pulling a Bertuzzi is the last thing this team needs, but they also have to play with a lot of grit. Nothing wrong with laying out a big hit or two on Matheson, if the opportunity arises. Maybe they might want to lay out a big hit or two on McCann as well. See what happens.

11 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pulling a Bertuzzi is the last thing this team needs, but they also have to play with a lot of grit. Nothing wrong with laying out a big hit or two on Matheson, if the opportunity arises. Maybe they might want to lay out a big hit or two on McCann as well. See what happens.

While the specific outcome of berts hit isnt my intended outcome for things to come I still want our guys to go out there and smash peoples faces in that need it. A bure elbow for instance, you &^@# with people long enough and thats what happens, take the 5 game suspension and nobody &^@#s with you anymore because everyone likes to be able to chew and sleep.

11 minutes ago, EP-40 said:

While the specific outcome of berts hit isnt my intended outcome for things to come I still want our guys to go out there and smash peoples faces in that need it. A bure elbow for instance, you &^@# with people long enough and thats what happens, take the 5 game suspension and nobody &^@#s with you anymore because everyone likes to be able to chew and sleep.

Its like in San Quentin! 

3 hours ago, Elias_Pettersson said:

“We have pushback on the team and they stand up for eachother” I said Beagle is pretty much the only one that does, but don’t agree with that part about the rest of the team. 

Ohhh I see what you’re saying. Yeah I agree, I definitely miss Dorsett. He wasn’t a big guy but he wasn’t afraid to go anyone. I’m hoping we shop around for someone willing to drop on a moments notice this off season. Wouldn’t mind trying to pry Reaves out of LV, he’s a tough b*stard. 

My preferred avenue is to play him hard, Have Jake and Motte forecheck the heck out of him then have Matheson get frustrated and drop the mitts on his own merit. I'd like to see Virtanen or Bo rough him up a bit. Gudbranson is WAY out of his weight class. Thats never easy to watch when you have a monster like Guddy fight a guy built like Hutton. 

Then get a bloody nose and sit for 5 minutes. Be the end of it. 

What will likely happen is... nothing. 

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Big hit is one thing, retaliation to injure is another. If you would like for us to throw a big clean hit on him, then sure.

I think the guys will be in his face but verbally. Maybe Roussel askes him to fight and if he does, then its over if not then i think they just make sure he is constantly looking over his shoulder all game. You dont have to do anything dirty. Just having him be uneasy all game would be enough and he probably bobbles the puck a few times and we score a goal off of him would be enough and heck if it is a gwg then even better. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best thing is for Matheson to feel like he's being hunted out there. Anytime a Canuck has the opportunity to hit him with as much force as possible, they need to do so. hopefully without abandoning their position and creating a scoring chance for the Panthers.

I like it.  Virtanen could also do this.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Headshots are illegal (supposedly). Whatever the case, I'm not going to be disappointed if the Canucks come out of this game without any retribution. If there is, then good on the Canucks for making a stand as long as it's clean.

Body checks to the head are, but a stiff gloved punch only gets you two minutes.  I agree that this sort of thing should have happened last game, but as one poster mentioned Howe, some of these guys have long memories and things do happen later that fester.  The league suspended him which was a good thing and somewhat deflates things.   Maybe if EP was actually playing something might happen, maybe it will anyways.  My hope is going forward this is the last time the team sits around doing nothing when any of their teammates are treated this way.  Respect is given when it’s earned, this team needs to earn more if they hope to do anything once the regular season is over.

Archived