The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The best thing is for Matheson to feel like he's being hunted out there. Anytime a Canuck has the opportunity to hit him with as much force as possible, they need to do so. Hopefully without abandoning their position and creating a scoring chance for the Panthers.

The ideal incident would be for Gudbranson to catch Matheson skating with his head down and just hit him full force, sending him to the bench or even down the hall. No fight, no headshot, no cheap stuff. A simple, clean, quick, and brutal message. I say Gudbranson for three reasons:

1. He's the largest and most damaging hitter overall, when he wants to be.
  2. It would dispel some feelings from the Canuck fanbase that he takes it easy on the Panthers (I do admit to making some reactionary posts in that ill-fated PGT, although I no longer feel that way.)
  3. It might quell the growing disdain for Gudbranson that's been percolating since the game against Toronto.

I'd rather Matheson not get hurt so we can walk around him and score frequently like last game. 

Hell yes they should go after Matheson.  

Make him fight Roussell or Gudbranson.  When did the Canucks ever target one of the star players on the other team?  Gudbranson's big hit on Dube (who isn't a star) is the only thing remotely close that I can remember.  We've had other teams run Elias, Bo and Brock this year.  

How fitting that Elias is injured again because of a non-hockey play.  I have tickets to the game and I won't get to watch Elias play.  :mad:

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hell yes they should go after Matheson.  

Make him fight Roussell or Gudbranson.  When did the Canucks ever target one of the star players on the other team?  Gudbranson's big hit on Dube (who isn't a star) is the only thing remotely close that I can remember.  We've had other teams run Elias, Bo and Brock this year.  

How fitting that Elias is injured again because of a non-hockey play.  I have tickets to the game and I won't get to watch Elias play.  :mad:

EP has been ruled out?  

If that's the plan here's what you do. The first shift Mattheson comes over the boards you put Gudbranson out as a winger, dump the puck in to the opponents end  and there you go. I recall Roger Neilson starting Harold Sneptz as a centre for an opening face off one game … every one understood the message …… but it ain't going to happen. First of all apart from the fight with Martin when has Gudbranson shown any inclination to be an instigator. How many times  do you see Gudbranson cruise past the oppoents bench with an invitation how many times have you seen him become actually agitated in a scrum ….. right the next time will be the first time

53 minutes ago, samurai said:

EP has been ruled out?  

Well I don't think that he has began skating yet, so I am jumping to my own conclusions I guess.  

14 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Regardless of who is on the ice, if someone takes liberties, especially if it’s dirty, get in there and deal with him, regardless if your a fighter or not. 

That's easy to say when it's not you getting punched in the face.  Our team is soft, only a few guys that would "get in there and deal with him." 

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Any team down a defenseman will suffer. 

Panthers D who have played more than 25 games this season

Kislevich - Even

Ekblad  -1

Pysyk  -3

Weegar  -5

Petrovich  -8

Yandle  -12

Matheson. -21

I'm not huge on +/- as an only metric but, pairing his +/- along with the eye test he is GOD AWFUL. So yes he literally does hurt them more by playing. 

15 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Todd Bertuzzi says "hi". Let's just focus on winning.

Todd was just protecting his friend who got maliciously attacked by a fringe nhler... His friend... Markus was the leagues reigning MVP as chosen by the players... I think it was called Lester at that time? 

Todd didn't clone himself into a bunch of other guys that jumped on top of him and piled up even more pressure to his neck which ultimately did most of the damage...

If I could have one wish granted, it would be to have tuzzi peaking and playing on this team. He's exactly what we need. 

Oh while we're at it a peaking Bieksa too. 

I want Gudbranson to challenge him at the start of the game. If he doesn't fight, then just playing hard for the rest of the game is fine to me. But definately someone has to go up to his face to let that him know we havn't forgotten. And hopefully Petey is back for that game so he can break his ankles again. 

Archived