The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

I hate when people go into others' personal space away from the rink to do this.  It's bullying.  I don't like what Matheson did but it's for the Canucks/Panthers to sort out, not the fans.   It was like when the media pursued Bert and Ted Whateverhisnameis stood on his front lawn trying to get a comment.  All the while, Bert wasn't there but his wife was inside. 

Leave these guys alone when they're home with their families.  Off limits.  At the very least, if you want to attack him on Twitter do it on the team page.  Don't get personal.

Keep it in the context of the game and let it play out there.

The other thing is this:   he got suspended.  That's what we SCREAM for and it happened.  

If the league hadn't intervened I'd probably understand a hostile reaction to some degree.  But come on...he served his "time", it cost him $$ and we can play him hard to send the message.  Anything beyond that makes us thugs and hypocrites.  Don't respond to dirty with dirty.  In real time, I would have loved to have seen him clobbered.  But it's past it's due date now and we shouldn't be stuck on this.  The window of opportunity has passed, beyond playing him/them hard and punishing them cleanly.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

I hate when people go into others' personal space away from the rink to do this.  It's bullying.  I don't like what Matheson did but it's for the Canucks/Panthers to sort out, not the fans.   It was like when the media pursued Bert and Ted Whateverhisnameis stood on his front lawn trying to get a comment.  All the while, Bert wasn't there but his wife was inside. 

Leave these guys alone.

Keep it in the context of the game.

Agree. Should be solved on the ice. On the opposite you could argue that fans then shouldn't be booing him tomorrow with that kind of logic.

And the reality shows us that a lot of people has hated on him. Question is, will it affect his future behaviour?

10 minutes ago, Nuke said:

If I had that amount of hate on my twitter account it would definetly make me think twice before I hit EP again. 

His slam was no react of instinct. It was well planned. That kind if move might be stopped if hated upon. 

Though I am not saying I like it, it is interesting to reflect over if its effective preventing naughty hits on the ice. 

He was made to look like a donkey, and he took his revenge, when he had the chance to do so. It was dirty, and I’m on record for wanting blood at the time, but lets turn the tables.. if McD, Crosby or any one else, who was head and shoulders above our players, screwed our d over and somebody nailed him, he’d be hailed a hero... it was a dirty play and the team should have f456’d him over instantly. Its hockey for flip sake... these incidents are part of it. Move on..,,

2 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Agree. Should be solved on the ice. On the opposite you could argue that fans then shouldn't be booing him tomorrow with that kind of logic.

And the reality shows us that a lot of people has hated on him. Question is, will it affect his future behaviour?

Booing him at a game is in the context of it.  It's at the rink and he's suited up.  I won't care if people boo him and will probably laugh and may even join them.  In the spirit of the game.  If our guys run him....that too. 

But on Twitter?  That's a cowardly pursuit.  Keyboard warrior stuff and just is pointless.  I mean...some couples share an account...what if his wife is using it?  She certainly didn't do anything. 

I'm softening over time with this sort of stuff.  EP's fine (with respect to this dirty slam) and we've moved on.  Hate what he did but not investing too much energy on it at this point.

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The other thing is this:   he got suspended.  That's what we SCREAM for and it happened.  

If the league hadn't intervened I'd probably understand a hostile reaction to some degree.  But come on...he served his "time", it cost him $$ and we can play him hard to send the message.  Anything beyond that makes us thugs and hypocrites.  Don't respond to dirty with dirty.  In real time, I'd have loved to see him clobbered.  But it's past it's due date now and we shouldn't be stuck on this.  The window of opportunity has passed, beyond playing him/them hard and punishing them cleanly.

Not a lot of testosterone in your body... :)

7 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Not a lot of testosterone in your body... :)

Haha, thank God.

Hey, I used to be a rowdy "KILL'EM" fan. 

But I hate violence and it makes me cringe.  So I'd prefer to go in the other direction as a collective/league.  I know that's not going to be popular and I still accept if it never goes that way...it's hockey afterall.  But I don't like people suffering as a general rule.  When EP's laid out, struggling on the ice...I momentarily lose that and my edge comes back.  But the bottom line is I don't get great satisfaction out of seeing anyone hurt...especially when it's intentional.  If someone's taken out with a good, solid hit into the boards.  Awesome.  That's what you signed up for.  But I can live without the "revenge" part because it doesn't usually end well.

Hey, look....if this guy continues on this path and didn't get that it wasn't cool then I'm all for taking him out.  The edge comes back.  I hate headhunters and guys who can't play well enough not to use that as their MO.  So if he initiates anything...it's on.  But hopefully it was a one off and he will be a little sheepish/not so tough guy because if not, he might get a cowbell rung off his noggin.

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Booing him at a game is in the context of it.  It's at the rink and he's suited up.  I won't care if people boo him and will probably laugh and may even join them.  In the spirit of the game.  If our guys run him....that too. 

But on Twitter?  That's a cowardly pursuit.  Keyboard warrior stuff and just is pointless.  I mean...some couples share an account...what if his wife is using it?  She certainly didn't do anything. 

I'm softening over time with this sort of stuff.  EP's fine (with respect to this dirty slam) and we've moved on.  Hate what he did but not investing too much energy on it at this point.

I would t say it is so much more brave to scream and boo a player in an audience of 10,000 or on a keyboard. Neither will have to stand up for it. 

But I can agree the context is a bit different and the effect way less long term. 

6 minutes ago, Nuke said:

I would t say it is so much more brave to scream and boo a player in an audience of 10,000 or on a keyboard. Neither will have to stand up for it. 

But I can agree the context is a bit different and the effect way less long term. 

It isn't.  But it can be fun and a way to send a message that "you're in our house".  Make it a little tougher for him to go unnoticed.  The keyboard warriors are hostile.  Boo'ing, for me, isn't hostile.  It's like the wave....mostly just a bunch of drunk fans having fun.  A singalong.  :)

11 minutes ago, Nuke said:

If I had that amount of hate on my twitter account it would definetly make me think twice before I hit EP again. 

His slam was no react of instinct. It was well planned. That kind if move might be stopped if hated upon. 

Though I am not saying I like it, it is interesting to reflect over wether or not its effective preventing naughty hits on the ice. 

And this is why I don’t bother with social media, with the exception of this site (is this social media?).   Facebook and twitter and Instagram aren’t real, they are a fake representation of reality.  I doubt anyone seriously wants to kill a professional athlete because a momentary lapse of reason got him suspended.  But maybe I’m wrong, I try to understand this generation for my kids sake, but the burdens they add to their plate with the pressures real or supposed to keep these personas going seems exhausting, and I really don’t get all the fuss.  Nothing wrong with the phone or even better talking in person one on one.  Ugh look at me using my only internet platform to a bunch of guys and gals who love the Canucks...it’s working on me too.  Please plus this or whatever it’s called, I might die inside if you don’t.  

Kidding aside based on how worked up my daughter gets when things arent going well in her limited social media universe, and how few years separate her and Matheson, I think you might be on to something.

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And this is why I don’t bother with social media, with the exception of this site (is this social media?).   Facebook and twitter and Instagram aren’t real, they are a fake representation of reality.  I doubt anyone seriously wants to kill a professional athlete because a momentary lapse of reason got him suspended.  But maybe I’m wrong, I try to understand this generation for my kids sake, but the burdens they add to their plate with the pressures real or supposed to keep these personas going seems exhausting, and I really don’t get all the fuss.  Nothing wrong with the phone or even better talking in person one on one.  Ugh look at me using my only internet platform to a bunch of guys and gals who love the Canucks...it’s working on me too.  Please plus this or whatever it’s called, I might die inside if you don’t.  

Kidding aside based on how worked up my daughter gets when things arent going well in her limited social media universe, and how few years separate her and Matheson, I think you might be on to something.

Spot on bro. It actually sad that this generation thinks reality is in the keyboard of their laptop... internet warriors my butt...

54 minutes ago, Nuke said:

Wow. Hadnt seen until now the amount of $&!# Matheson has been gettin on social media. Its huge... Thought he was kiddin in an interview when he said he had thousands of comments with folks that wants him to go f... ck himself, but it almost seems

Maybe this is the new way to get the idiots stop making bad hits, maybe we dont need to se revenge on the ice after all. 

Comtois played hard for his country and came up short.  Matheson is a gutless piece of trash whose career should have been ended by the NHL.  Zero sympathy for that dirtbag for fans wanting him to get what he deserves.  Maybe if he hadn't chosen to disgrace the sport with his cowardly cheapshot, this wouldn't have happened?

End this goof's career.

57 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Comtois played hard for his country and came up short.  Matheson is a gutless piece of trash whose career should have been ended by the NHL.  Zero sympathy for that dirtbag for fans wanting him to get what he deserves.  Maybe if he hadn't chosen to disgrace the sport with his cowardly cheapshot, this wouldn't have happened?

End this goof's career.

Whie I totally agree he’s a dirtbag, which player will take a 3- 5 or even more suspension to smash him up?

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Anyone who says we need to get even with Matheson is just as bad, if not worse, than Matheson himself. Period.

You want to get even with him? I hope someone gets even with you afterwards to be honest. I guess we'll just then end up in never ending injuries instead of actually playing the game, winning games, etc.

boohoo....

matheson body slams EP to the ice injuring him and you are ok with it. Pathetic.

2 hours ago, Nuke said:

Though I am not saying I like it, it is interesting to reflect over wether or not its effective preventing naughty hits on the ice. 

Ya right.  You’d be in the nhl making huge bank.  As if you would care what some smelly mouth breathing nerd would say on the other interwebs.  Lol.  Threats from the basement.

Punch him in the head, hit him every chance and boo him every time he touches the puck. 

That's what's needed. 

My guess is the fans are the only ones who do their part. Team has too nany paycheck players like sutter Eriksson gudbranson to do anything unfortunately.  Hope to see that change next couple years as this team finds an identity.

Archived