The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I'll remember that you said this the next time one of our guys goes down from a predatory hit.

And I'll back up what I said 100% as revenge is a juvenile answer and certainly not the right answer.

Don't get me wrong. I don't agree with people senselessly injuring other players to begin with, but wanting revenge doesn't make you the better person.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

boohoo....

matheson body slams EP to the ice injuring him and you are ok with it. Pathetic.

Did I say I was okay with it? No. I didn't and I don't think what Matheson did was right.

However, how people react on these boards to it is arguably far worse often times, but I guess that's what anonymity does to people.

39 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

This is hockey, a strategic game with a huge grand prize at the end and millions of dollars on the line, this isn't pre-school where kids should learn to play fair. Come on dude

And where in your sentence does it warrant revenge? It sounds more like things shouldn't have happened in the first place, including revenge.

You're right. It's not preschool, which is why I still back up what I said 100%. This is not preschool where we haven't learned how to be adults yet apparently some people want to treat it as such. What point are you even trying to prove?

(Thanks for proving my case at least)

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And where in your sentence does it warrant revenge? It sounds more like things shouldn't have happened in the first place, including revenge.

You're right. It's not preschool, which is why I still back up what I said 100%. This is not preschool where we haven't learned how to be adults yet apparently some people want to treat it as such. What point are you even trying to prove?

(Thanks for proving my case at least)

OK Mom

438A4C95-4710-4A7C-B3A3-D8C563340E18.jpeg

3 months after the body slam and getting revenge is not worth our time.  Let's focus on winning the game.  I don't want to see any major penalty imposed by our stupidity with revenge.  Matherson had been suspended so why worry about it?  The justice had been done and move on.   A fight in the game won't send a message as fighting is common within the league.   This is not 70's anymore.

Yeah, planned revenge has worked so well in the past:

Should there have been some kind of response during the game? Yeah, that would have been the time. After so many games in between there doesn't seem to be much point.

regards,  G.

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You used the term juvenile in regards to a hockey game..  Hockey in general is pretty "juvenile" 

Should they stop saying mean things to each other too?  

No. They shouldn't be looking to injure other players though which is what revenge typically entails. There's a reason why the league is cracking down on this stuff.

I think you're overreacting to my statement just a tad here since you keeping wanting to put words in my mouth that I never even said. I'll  try and simplify my answer how about:

There will be fights and banter in hockey. It's a part of the game.

However, ANY time a player or fan wants another player injured is the juvenile part and shouldn't be part of the game, whether it be what Matheson did or whether it be the numerous fans here wanting revenge on Matheson. Anyone who wants revenge on Matheson right now is just as bad as Matheson if not worse.

8 hours ago, coolboarder said:

3 months after the body slam and getting revenge is not worth our time.  Let's focus on winning the game.  I don't want to see any major penalty imposed by our stupidity with revenge.  Matherson had been suspended so why worry about it?  The justice had been done and move on.   A fight in the game won't send a message as fighting is common within the league.   This is not 70's anymore.

It's worse than the 70s. Enforcers are almost extinct yet the officials let head shots and other cheap shots happen without penalty and where there are no penalties, you rarely see suspensions. It's bad for the game as talent and excitement is smothered and in some cases destroyed. There is no need for revenge when you feel justice is served. When you're left disgusted and wanting, the notion of revenge is alive and well.

It's not a coincidence that both Pettey's injuries were behind the play, he can handle himself well within the rules of the game but what can you do when the other players and the officials ignore the basic rules? League ineptitude or malicious strategy is what's creating these negative sentiments.  Until the league gets it shat together, team enforcement and deterrents are required. This team is still way too soft and individualistic. Sutter's concept of team culture is a glass foundation.

I get the league comes down hard on goonery and distinctly recall the Torts/Sestito debacle in California. Funny how it only applies to some teams though. Until we have the makings of a play-off team, we should care more about team culture and protection and less about wins. I guess the owners are willing to sacrifice star budding talent for the potential for one play-off round. So sad.

7 minutes ago, The Lock said:

"They shouldn't be looking to injure other players though which is what revenge typically entails. There's a reason why the league is cracking down on this stuff."

If they would do their job and crack down on behind the play crap and cheap shots generally, there would be less fury about revenge. Corruption is contagious and waters the seeds of war. I hate the way Bettman runs the NHL.

15 hours ago, The Lock said:

Did I say I was okay with it? No. I didn't and I don't think what Matheson did was right.

However, how people react on these boards to it is arguably far worse often times, but I guess that's what anonymity does to people.

This country has too many soft willed "turn the other cheek" liberals. It makes me sick. I hope Matheson gets a beat down.  

The Canucks should sign Bertuzzi for one game just so he can show us his signature move ONE MORE TIME!!

5 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The Canucks should sign Bertuzzi for one game just so he can show us his signature move ONE MORE TIME!!

Bert would get his ass kicked.

Old, slow, out of game shape, and has said he doesn't even skate anymore.

Just now, gurn said:

Bert would get his ass kicked.

Old, slow, out of game shape, and has said he doesn't even skate anymore.

...by his signature move I meant skating up behind Matheson and knock him out.  How can someone get their butt kicked by sucker punching someone??

Come on!!

2 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

...by his signature move I meant skating up behind Matheson and knock him out.  How can someone get their butt kicked by sucker punching someone??

Come on!!

He has to be able to skate, and catch up to Matheson.. unless he catches him on a line change.

Archived