The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to get even with Matheson?

Nuke

I Hate the Moore incident being brought up to justify the no response argument. Boooooo! 

aside from that 

Canucks can’t afford to lose any of the next 5 games. Their season will be dictated by this month. So they better get at least a 2 goal lead before they get Gudbranson to pick a fight or take a dumb penalty.

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah. That worked well last time... 

7DD130D2-9C7E-49E2-B51F-009B29EB39C9.gif

The result from that situation was just terrible, Moore's injury, losing Bert, league wide fallout from it all, but all these years later I still fell that while it was an extremely poor decision by Bert it's too bad Moore was such a pussy. I don't care that he fought Matt Cooke. He had to know he was going to get something for cold-cocking Naslund and that "skating away" wasn't going to cut it.  

The whole thing honestly still pisses me off, but hey, that's Nuck life. Be disappointed forever. At least we're on track to have a pretty slick team again in a few years. By then nobody will give a $&!# about Matheson and his little hit on EP that stole a few weeks worth of games. 

1 hour ago, Toyotasfan said:

I Hate the Moore incident being brought up to justify the no response argument. Boooooo! 

aside from that 

Canucks can’t afford to lose any of the next 5 games. Their season will be dictated by this month. So they better get at least a 2 goal lead before they get Gudbranson to pick a fight or take a dumb penalty.

Well when you say force a fight that's generally the result. If he doesn't wanna go he doesn't wanna go. 

Most people know where I stand regarding retribution and putting our star players out of bounds but I honestly don't see the merit in delayed "punishment"

It should have been done during the game and I am not happy with Green's reasons for "apparently" holding our 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse back at the time.

Let's not kid ourselves. We don't have either meanness (Lucic types) or guys who will uphold the code since Dorsett sadly retired. Imo we have not had a code driven reaction fighter since Rick. He never stopped to look at a guy's size, or the scoreboard, or whether he had just had a fight the previous night he just DID THE RIGHT THING.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

Most people know where I stand regarding retribution and putting our star players out of bounds but I honestly don't see the merit in delayed "punishment"

It should have been done during the game and I am not happy with Green's reasons for "apparently" holding our 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse back at the time.

Let's not kid ourselves. We don't have either meanness (Lucic types) or guys who will uphold the code since Dorsett sadly retired. Imo we have not had a code driven reaction fighter since Rick. He never stopped to look at a guy's size, or the scoreboard, or whether he had just had a fight the previous night he just DID THE RIGHT THING.

Memories.... RIP Rick. A true warrior and a first class teammate. They just don’t make them like this anymore. 

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That janssen and Neil fight......oh Rick.

I would consider putting Roussel on him every shift, especially at the start of the game when we will have lots of time to recover from the punishment the refs will hand out.

On him, on him, on him, little poke here, elbow there, (love me some butt-ends), constantly, over and over again until he loses it and then it's Howdy Doody Time!

And no stopping at the whistle.  He lifted and threw EP head first to the ice well after the play was whistled dead.  Payback's a bitch.

No way that crappy DOP(e)S 2 game slap on the wrist makes up for concussing a player with a non-hockey move after the whistle and with no cause except getting outplayed all game.

Anyone who says we need to get even with Matheson is just as bad, if not worse, than Matheson himself. Period.

You want to get even with him? I hope someone gets even with you afterwards to be honest. I guess we'll just then end up in never ending injuries instead of actually playing the game, winning games, etc.

6 hours ago, NexusRift said:

Not gonna happen. It's a kinder, gentler NHL now.

Maybe gentler given what used to be a legal hit is now a no no and anyone with their head down shouldn’t worry because if they get hit someone will get a suspension, not sure about the kinder thing though as it took refs a year to clean up the slashes to the hand epidemic (that used to be a CODE violation).   

Id say that Milbury’s premonition that the league was becoming pansified (he’s coined phrase was pansification, and that was nearly 20 years ago that he said it) has occurred, and that players haven’t   caught up with the changes since they no longer have a big nasty brother patrolling the ice 5-6 minutes a game. 

Things have reverted to pre-expansion, when there was limited jobs on six teams and rolling four lines was how things were done because even your fourth line was valuable and productive (10-14 minutes instead of 4-7)).   Back then almost every player in the league would fight when challenged or when they had to stick up for themselves, and nobody had a goon to fight their fights for them.

After almost 5 decades of players knowing that some giant was ready and willing to spend five minutes or more in the box for you at any given moment the current players have been conditioned that as long as they themselves walk the line, nothing will likely happen to them.  Problem is now they know nothing will happen to them when they cross it too.  Must be awfully tempting for them.  Slashing hands?  That’s a total lack of respect for the code IMO, one team gets  2 minutes, other team loses a guy for 2-3 months.  Before they’d be signing their own death warrant for doing this...now?

Point is you can’t have it both ways (no enforcers equals no protection, nobody willing to take a suspension to send a message) we are rolling four lines again, that means no enforcers, it means players can sneak some cheap stuff in and get away with it, and it means played and teammates need to be prepared to answer the bell.  And stick up for guys that need help, they need it more than ever now.9

Wow. Hadnt seen until now the amount of $&!# Matheson has been gettin on social media. Its huge... Thought he was kiddin in an interview when he said he had thousands of comments with folks that wants him to go f... ck himself, but it almost seems

Maybe this is the new way to get the idiots stop making bad hits, maybe we dont need to se revenge on the ice after all. 

12 hours ago, Nuke said:

Wow. Hadnt seen until now the amount of $&!# Matheson has been gettin on social media. Its huge... Thought he was kiddin in an interview when he said he had thousands of comments with folks that wants him to go f... ck himself, but it almost seems

Maybe this is the new way to get the idiots stop making bad hits, maybe we dont need to se revenge on the ice after all. 

Honestly you don’t believe the internet will stop him from doing, what he feels he has to do? Its a split second decision and we we’ve all been in the situation, where we reacted on intinct only to find out, we screwed up. 

This is sport and surely a he fans should never dictate, how athletes  behave.... if so, next thing would be starting to shoot the players... internet treats are sick and sucks big time. Let them handle it themselves....

14 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Honestly you don’t believe the internet will stop him from doing, what he feels he has to do? Its a slit second decision and we we’ve all been in the situation, where we reacted on intinct only to find out we screwed up. 

This is sport and surely a he fans shouldnever dictate, how atletes behave.... if so next thing would be starting to shoot the players... internet treats are sick and sucks big time. Let them handle it themselves....

If I had that amount of hate on my twitter account it would definetly make me think twice before I hit EP again. 

His slam was no react of instinct. It was well planned. That kind if move might be stopped if hated upon. 

Though I am not saying I like it, it is interesting to reflect over wether or not its effective preventing naughty hits on the ice. 

Archived