The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lighting trade Slater Koekkoek, 5th-round pick to Blackhawks for Jan Rutta, 7th-round pick

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [Trade] Lighting trade Slater Koekkoek, 5th-round pick to Blackhawks for Jan Rutta, 7th-round pick
29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Interesting.  Chicago taking flyers on players with great expectations lately but no real results from their draft status.  Let's see how this plays out over the next few seasons

Sounds familiar...

Sutter

Baertschi

Sbisa

Vey

Megna

Skille

Clendening

Etem...

10 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

Could we have taken on Koekkoek for Del Zotto and a 6th? Worth it?

I doubt it.  I think this move probably has a fit element from Tampa's perspective - their left side is Hedman, McDonagh, Coburn....their right side Stralman, Girardi, Cernak....of those sides, I think there's more uncertainty on the right side with Girardi's age, and Cernak being a rookie - I doubt Rutta takes a healthy job from either of them, but from a depth perspective, perhaps Rutta gives them something they felt they needed more at this point (Cameron Gaunce also being a LHD recall option for them beyond Koekkoek).

Not sure Del Zotto would be considered as good a fit?

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I doubt it.  I think this move probably has a fit element from Tampa's perspective - their left side is Hedman, McDonagh, Coburn....their right side Stralman, Girardi, Cernak....of those sides, I think there's more uncertainty on the right side with Girardi's age, and Cernak being a rookie - I doubt Rutta takes a healthy job from either of them, but from a depth perspective, perhaps Rutta gives them something they felt they needed more at this point (Cameron Gaunce also being a LHD recall option for them beyond Koekkoek).

Not sure Del Zotto would be considered as good a fit?

This is probably all true, but also the fact that Rutta has cleared waivers, so it allows this depth to be in the minors. Del Zotto would have to clear waivers and I don't think he would at this point.

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

This is probably all true, but also the fact that Rutta has cleared waivers, so it allows this depth to be in the minors. Del Zotto would have to clear waivers and I don't think he would at this point.

that's a good point - that does enhance player's value in context like this.

I think Tampa likely still looks to make moves to bury Toronto and Boston, but this in itself makes sense.

It is funny that when the Edler to Tampa trade rumours were hot and heavy last year, Koekkoek and/or Dotchin were considered by many as possible pieces of a package in return.  It looks like the issue is more likely that they aren’t good enough, and not just that they are buried behind better D.

I also thought that Tyler Johnson would have been an excellent main piece coming back in case Pettersson wasn’t able to make it at centre in his first year, and needed a crutch to ease him into it.  I guess that was a good non-move :)

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hmmm?

BlackHawks mirroring what Benning did 4 years ago and in-between.

Acquiring retread projects Granlund, Baertschi, Vey, Leivo, Clendenning.Goldobin, Strome, Koekkoek, Caggiula, Perlini, 

Something outta nothing! 

Wonder if Bowman will catch hell if they don't trade Seabrook, Toews, Kane.  Or tell there fans about re-building?

Wait! Bowman gave up Schmaltz to get Strome & Perlini. That's not the same... -_-

Archived