grandmaster

Yahoo Sports Article - Elias Pettersson on being NHL MVP

Rate this topic

If you look at how the Canucks play with Pettersson in the line-up versus without, he should definitely be in the Hart conversation. He won’t win it, but he should get some votes.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

With Pettersson, the Canucks have a shot at making the playoffs. Without Pettersson, this team is a heavy favourite for finishing last in the league.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't think he's a "Tom Wilson" but I'd like to see what Zack MacEwan looks like up here sooner than later. He seems to have the potential for a gritty line mate for EP and Boeser, if anyone does in our system right now. 

He also has a pretty good shot that he's developed over the years to add to his game. Reminds me of a Burrows type 

Edited by Baer.
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Baer. said:

He also has a pretty good shot that he's developed over the years to add to his game. Reminds me of a Burrows type 

thats kind of what I was thinking, he's a fair bit larger than Burr was too. The shot quality is off the charts already with EP and Boeser, to have a guy that can forecheck, force other lines to keep their heads up and also maybe chip in a little? sounds pretty good. I don't know if he's really up to all that but I don't see anyone else really in the depth chart that has the size of a Wilson-type player. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thats kind of what I was thinking, he's a fair bit larger than Burr was too. The shot quality is off the charts already with EP and Boeser, to have a guy that can forecheck, force other lines to keep their heads up and also maybe chip in a little? sounds pretty good. I don't know if he's really up to all that but I don't see anyone else really in the depth chart that has the size of a Wilson-type player. 

I would say the biggest question mark would be his foot speed. Obviously not everybody can keep up with EP and Boes, but Burrows always knew where to be playing with the Sedins.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

I would say the biggest question mark would be his foot speed. Obviously not everybody can keep up with EP and Boes, but Burrows always knew where to be playing with the Sedins.

I haven't watched any Utica games this year, not sure where he's at with that but it would be good to hear from the regular Comets watchers where he's at on that

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

How’s this for a stat: When Canucks super-rookie Elias Pettersson is on the ice this season, his team is plus-32.

When he’s off the ice, it’s minus-46.

Yeah, I know it is just plus minus...…… but that is just amazing, a little over half way into a season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I have all the time in the world for media members that call out Don Cherry.

So would I, generally, but this writer manages to undermine himself by making this about "being in grade 3 at the outbreak of WW2".

That is just as ignorant as Don Cherry, assuming that his age somehow correlates with or essentially excuses his stupidity. 

Older people are not necessarily any less intelligent than anyone else - and in fact, having worked with a whole lot of seniors throughout my life, I can safely say that I would be greatly comforted if the present generations grow up to be anywhere near as intelligent as the vast majority of seniors are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

+32 with him and -48 without him? Even strength only? 

If that is even strength only stat, that tells us that our team still sucks and proves that EP is singlehandedly carrying the team.

I was expecting our team to finish in the bottom 3 (29, 30, 31st). With EP, I don't think there is any chance we finish in the bottom 3 and hence, very little chance at winning Jack Hughes or Kappo Kakko.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I haven't watched any Utica games this year, not sure where he's at with that but it would be good to hear from the regular Comets watchers where he's at on that

If you subscribe to their YouTube channel they post highlights and interviews from all their games.

NHL trying hard to overhype and capitalize on the unexpected success of Canucks youngsters. 

I say keep EP out of the lineup until he's 110% and until the NHL does something to protect the future stars of the league (ie: get rid of the instigator penalty)