therodigy

[GDT] Panthers vs Canucks -- Retribution edition?

Rate this topic

I had honestly forgotten about Matheson playing here tomorrow.

Nice to get to see Lu in town. And early to boot.

I was more focussed on whether or not EP was even going to play (nope).

And if Leivo was coming back. 

We need to break this forward logjam in a way that does not send AG88 back to Utica.

I want to see Leivo Gaudette Virtanen as a line for a few games.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

Wow some on here have the torches and pitchforks out.As some have already said let’s play Matheson hard as f#&k but keep it clean.Methinks the league will be watching this one.Also why the 4:00pm start are we playing Toronto?

GO CANUCKS!!!!

• Hydration 1

I hope this isnt luongos last game here =( 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, butters said:

This is NOT what the classy fans in here want. Team toughness is essential, all in accordance with the rules of the game.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

...why the 4:00pm start are we playing Toronto?

GO CANUCKS!!!!

Lou has an 8 PM reservation in the poker room.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Roberts said:

this is a big test for the Canucks toughness

Florida? Florida is a big test for the Canucks toughness?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd like some hard play on Matheson, but let's keep it clean. I think some fans forget that we're talking about real people here with families, friends, and personal lives. Let's not cheer for any serious injuries. This, like any game without Pettersson, will be a tough game, but hopefully the Killer Bs can get some scoring done.

Yes, hard play against Matheson but the time for action against him was during that game, less so now. It means nothing to Florida maybe a bit to the Canuck roster as there was no pushback during the actual game. There is a maturing process that happens with teams who develop towards CUP contention. They have to become actual teams where any threat to their ultimate CUP goal cannot be accepted. Canucks have a ways to go to achieve that kind of unity and purpose. 

My usual refrain is that there is regular season and CUP play. The significance of regular season is in part achieving that unity of purpose. CUP play is the here and now and all external stuff like family, friends and lifestyle take a back seat. Canucks have some pieces that can drive towards this goal but they are a fair ways away. 

Lou on his swan song pass through. Great tender, the best the Canucks have ever had over an extended period. It is inevitable that he and Kirk McLean square off. IMHO Lou gets the nod over McLean solely because of numbers. McLean in the '94 run was extraordinary. Lou on the otherhand kinda folded in '11. McLean is in the ROH as should be Lou. (no jersey retirement). Lou leaving Van did not return as much as should have been expected.   

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ll be happy if more than just bo jake and boeser show up ready to play.

As far as Granlund being in over Gaudette, I'm guessing with the trade deadline approaching and Granlund being on an expiring contract they're just trying to build as much value in him as possible. A few months of Gaudette bouncing around isn't going to ruin his career but it sure would be nice to see his play get rewarded after the good effort last game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, combover said:

I’ll be happy if more than just bo jake and boeser show up ready to play.

If they can all 3 elevate their game to the Baertschi level, we'll be fine

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cromeslab said:

Wow some on here have the torches and pitchforks out.As some have already said let’s play Matheson hard as f#&k but keep it clean.Methinks the league will be watching this one.Also why the 4:00pm start are we playing Toronto?

GO CANUCKS!!!!

We’re the Hometown Hockey feature game. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd like some hard play on Matheson, but let's keep it clean. I think some fans forget that we're talking about real people here with families, friends, and personal lives. Let's not cheer for any serious injuries. This, like any game without Pettersson, will be a tough game, but hopefully the Killer Bs can get some scoring done.

I guess Matheson forgot that Petterson was a real person with friends and family etc.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Feels like forever in between games.

Sad EP won't be in the line up, but I also feel it's important for the team to assess themselves without him.  A reality check and realization that they all have to pitch in and can't put it all on his shoulders.  I feel that they do (well, except for the first period of last game that I didn't see but have heard about...my son, who was at the game, saying it was one of the worst periods of hockey he's ever seen).

Can't help but still love Lu.  He was such a big deal here for us...still remember when we got him.  Hope he has a great loss today!

Also, keep in mind...we wouldn't be HAVING this discussion if Matheson didn't body slam Petey to the ice.  Which also isn't really a hockey play.  Emotions run high and concussions are also serious injuries.  So it all has to stop.  The end result is decided by fate/luck...so a body slam can be equally disastrous to a blindside punch.  This reckless stuff puts players in jeopardy.  Matheson did serve a suspension so it was noted.  Baby steps in this league, but it's something.  I don't want to see ANY player hurt but hockey lends itself to that.    When body slams to ice become part of it, it obviously warrants concern and is disturbing to some.  Moore shouldn't have happened.  That EP concussion shouldn't have happened.  There are STILL things happening that shouldn't be.  So the issue really lies there...in the ticking time bomb that likely will see someone else with a career ending injury if players resort to these dirty tactics.  And...Matheson's slam was.  It was even deemed so by the league.  With that, I accept their acknowledgement of that and the suspension that has ultimately closed the case for me.

With that, this game should offer us closure.   However they play him, we need to not have black clouds that hang over us.  We, as a fanbase, deserve that.

• Like 1

The reaction in here is overboard

Like many have said - it is time to retaliate  legal hitz - make him hurt - take no penalties 

But to go out and seriously injure another player intentionally is wrong -  the league suspended him

Play him hard but play him clean

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1