Sign in to follow this  
therodigy

[GDT] Panthers vs Canucks -- Retribution edition?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, groovy said:

Hmm.. seems a bit over the top given that he threw a scrawny kid to the ice after being deked out of his jock-strap. It`s a mans league. No need for ending players careers because your darling got tossed on his head. If you think you shall waltz in at 165 lbs and embarrasss players without a target on your back it`s time to get real. It`s the NHL.

Then the league should do it's &^@#ing job. This Don Cherry $&!# is cancerous to the game.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Then the league should do it's &^@#ing job. This Don Cherry $&!# is cancerous to the game.

Maybe he's right though, you can't sit here and deny that he has a target on his back. Look what has happened.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, groovy said:

Hmm.. seems a bit over the top given that he threw a scrawny kid to the ice after being deked out of his jock-strap. It`s a mans league. No need for ending players careers because your darling got tossed on his head. If you think you shall waltz in at 165 lbs and embarrasss players without a target on your back it`s time to get real. It`s the NHL.

Gaudreau, Kucherov, Point, Marner...

 

All tiny guys in the top 10 in scoring and deking players out of their jock straps. 

 

I don't think the Canucks should go after Mathieson too hard but small skilled players are the NHL now. 

Edited by Duodenum
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Maybe he's right though, you can't sit here and deny that he has a target on his back. Look what has happened.

It's nothing to do with his weight....it's his skill.  Skilled players ARE being targeted, and that's ok when it's done the right way.  Not with this WWE crap.

 

If body slams and hauling players down are part of the new, NHL tackle league, then all players need to be given a pass to play that way.  Not just some.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd hate to lose a good player to a suspension over a worthless, gutless player like Mathesson. If a bit hit happens, great, if not I want a win to stay in the playoff hunt. You bet Toronto is watching this one, they'd love nothing more than to suspend one of our guys for a long stretch as an "example."

You bet, for now they have to be content with letting guys kick goals in and taking away goals from us that weren’t kicked in, have to get their kicks somehow ha ha.

 

Might be one of if not last time Luongo plays in our building, hope it’s a good one and that we win.   As far as revenge goes it’s not about that, going forward it’s more about actually doing something if and when it happens, and coming together as a team to protect each other.    

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, canuck_in_england said:

Honestly it's pretty simple to me. Fine make legal big hits against all Panthers and wear them down but more importantly play solid hockey and make sure you W first. I'm not bothered about someone dropping the gloves on Matheson. 

this is why teams love to play us at home. so soft

  • Hydration 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Maybe he's right though, you can't sit here and deny that he has a target on his back. Look what has happened.

Deb is the one that's correct here, not that &^@#ing dinosaur. It's a cancerous, pathetic mindset that's only going to hold the game back and eventually kill it if people just shrug their shoulders and say "Well, he's not wrong" like a bunch of pacifistic invertebrates. 

 

A player should be allowed to be good without someone illegally throwing them down to the ice and concussing them.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Deb is the one that's correct here, not that &^@#ing dinosaur. It's a cancerous, pathetic mindset that's only going to hold the game back and eventually kill it if people just shrug their shoulders and say "Well, he's not wrong" like a bunch of pacifistic invertebrates. 

 

A player should be allowed to be good without someone illegally throwing them down to the ice and concussing them.

He has a target and if he engages it will result in something. Get a Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

this is why teams love to play us at home. so soft

Sorry mate, just prefer the big hits to the fights. It's not soft to want the win first things first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

He has a target and if he engages it will result in something. Get a Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves.

Tom Wilson sure. Ryan Reaves no.

 

Point is it shouldn't be allowed to happen at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, canuck_in_england said:

Sorry mate, just prefer the big hits to the fights. It's not soft to want the win first things first.

I like hits too but the team can't trade hits because it's too soft. When you put the W ahead of protecting teammates the message you are sending to the competitors is "it's open season on our stars because we will bend over like we have since the Burt incident." Time to be more like Winnipeg and punish others who take liberties. Not weeks later but in the moment and always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I would just love to see every Canuck finish their checks today. I went to a Victoria Royals game last night and even though they lost to a great team, the Royals has so many strong hits every time they could. It made for some very refreshing hockey.

That’s my issue with having both Goldobin and Baer in the same line up. Neither one likes to touch the opposition and it really impacts the toughness of our lineup. They’re both very similar players in my mind, even though Baer is a step up defensively and with consistency.  We need to play with more of an edge throughout our lineup. Even Pettersson hits and pushes back now and then.

 

Baertschi averages more hits per game than Horvat - pretty close though.

 

0.8  Sutter Leivo Baertschi

0.7  Horvat

0.6  Granlund Pettersson Tanev

0.3 Boeser

0.2 Goldobin

0.0 Eriksson

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mll said:

 

Baertschi averages more hits per game than Horvat - pretty close though.

 

0.8  Sutter Leivo Baertschi

0.7  Horvat

0.6  Granlund Pettersson Tanev

0.3 Boeser

0.2 Goldobin

0.0 Eriksson

Thanks Mll. I think that speaks volumes about Horvat - that guy needs to hit. Boeser gets a free pass in my mind because he's elite sniper status, but Horvat is supposed to be captain material. He wins faceoffs... and is consistent with 2nd line scoring abilities.. but he really needs to hit more. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There can simply be no retribution for what happens in previous games, hell even in previous periods. That would constitute pre-meditation.

 

What needs to happen is that next time there is an incident with one of our young stars, there needs to be an  immediate and full line response. If anyone from any team get's out of line, the canucks need to show a powerful and unified response to show the rest of the league that targeting smaller, younger, more skilled players is unacceptable. I want to see Markstrom charging down the ice and grabbing the other teams goalie. I want to see 12 pairs of gloves and a half a dozen sticks littering the ice. I want to see 5 minutes of chaos and teammates going to the wall for each other.

 

Or else it will continue to be deemed acceptable by opposing teams, as it has for over a decade.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Thanks Mll. I think that speaks volumes about Horvat - that guy needs to hit. Boeser gets a free pass in my mind because he's elite sniper status, but Horvat is supposed to be captain material. He wins faceoffs... and is consistent with 2nd line scoring abilities.. but he really needs to hit more. 

Horvat has be cast as Linden 2.0 by some fans. I believe he will be our future captain. but Linden did play with an edge and would hit people. Never will forget when the glass fell out on that one hit.

 

Horvat needs to add a physical element to his game for sure! 

 

Boeser, yes he is skilled and a sniper, but he can hit too, its not about always making devastating hits. It is about pressuring your opponents and causing them to make mistakes and bad turnovers

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Boeserker said:

There can simply be no retribution for what happens in previous games, hell even in previous periods. That would constitute pre-meditation.

 

What needs to happen is that next time there is an incident with one of our young stars, there needs to be an  immediate and full line response. If anyone from any team get's out of line, the canucks need to show a powerful and unified response to show the rest of the league that targeting smaller, younger, more skilled players is unacceptable. I want to see Markstrom charging down the ice and grabbing the other teams goalie. I want to see 12 pairs of gloves and a half a dozen sticks littering the ice. I want to see 5 minutes of chaos and teammates going to the wall for each other.

 

Or else it will continue to be deemed acceptable by opposing teams, as it has for over a decade.

Exactly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

I like hits too but the team can't trade hits because it's too soft. When you put the W ahead of protecting teammates the message you are sending to the competitors is "it's open season on our stars because we will bend over like we have since the Burt incident." Time to be more like Winnipeg and punish others who take liberties. Not weeks later but in the moment and always.

You’d think that after several playoff beatings, this fanbase would understand playoff hockey is about being physically tougher and meaner than the rival, team-wise; that intimidation matters.

 

Here are the Canucks in the playoffs... where the capacity to pushback matters...

F3275E2A-A544-4F1E-9393-E18F8415EFBF.gif.dd3dfdbdcb92f4c045d0f3502d2c396f.gif

 

A2756F5C-0750-4CBC-86A0-4BFDBE6CA53C.gif.52a49c863fb52f2bfe05d64c3356f753.gif

 

Playoff hockey is how the Canucks need to be built for. 

 

Retaliating against this guy tonight shouldn’t be the focus.

 

Instead, the team should enforce the Code and run their finesse guys all night and not even bother with the culprit, which will send the right message. 

 

Instead of embracing the Victim culture, which this team and fanbase has been steeped in for a few decades now, go out and earn respect by being the bully for a change.

 

This message should be coming from the very top, not some fan in cyberspace, but it hasn’t.

 

Benning has done ‘some’ work to improve the spine of this team, but not nearly enough, IMO.

 

For tonight to be a success, the highlight reel on TSN will be much more satisfying if each Canuck skates by the bench , or wherever that guy is, and smiles at him every time they skate back from brutalizing a skinny, toothless Panther. The Canucks would be better served running the Panthers instead of one player and focus. That’s how you send a message and define your future. If you can get the 2 points as well, all the better. 

 

Eye for eye stuff; The Code. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.