therodigy

[GDT] Panthers vs Canucks -- Retribution edition?

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You’d think that after several playoff beatings, this fanbase would understand playoff hockey is about being physically tougher and meaner than the rival, team-wise; that intimidation matters.

Here are the Canucks in the playoffs... where the capacity to pushback matters...

F3275E2A-A544-4F1E-9393-E18F8415EFBF.gif.dd3dfdbdcb92f4c045d0f3502d2c396f.gif

A2756F5C-0750-4CBC-86A0-4BFDBE6CA53C.gif.52a49c863fb52f2bfe05d64c3356f753.gif

Playoff hockey is how the Canucks need to be built for. 

Retaliating against this guy tonight shouldnt be the focus.

Instead, the team should enforce the Code and run their finesse guys all night and not even bother with the culprit, which will send the right message. 

Instead of embracing the Victim culture, this team and fanbase has been steeped in for a few decades now, go out and earn respect by being the bully for a change.

This message should be coming from the very top, not some fan in cyberspace, but it hasn’t.

Benning has done ‘some’ work to improve the spine of this team, but not nearly enough, IMO.

For tonight to be a success, the highlight reel on TSN will be much more satisfying if each Canuck skates by the bench , or wherever that guy is, and smiles at him every time they skate back from brutalizing a skinny, toothless Panther. The Canucks would be better served running the Panthers instead of one player and focus. That’s how you send a message and define your future. If you can get the 2 points as well, all the better. 

Eye for eye stuff; The Code. 

You seem to overlook something.

We have NEVER gotten away with ANYTHING.  Go look at my Hansen/Hossa video to see an example of that.

Showing that other stuff?    Let's please allow this new team to not have to reflect the "old team".  It's unfair to do so.

And keep it in perspective....the entire way that all played out was a joke.  Lu was SAT on but no GI called.  Thomas could act like a thug and get away with it.  Some teams (who, coincidentally, have connections and Dads who help "oversee" things) get away with murder while others can't bat a puck out of the air without it going unnoticed.

We have been handed the victim mentality, we didn't create it.  Because we have been victims...of a league that's inconsistent and throws the book at us while others can take liberties and smile and skate away.  It's been a damned if we do/don't deal.

I don't disagree with how to address it.  But don't expect that we get away with it...we'll pay a price.  We are used as examples and something happened 15 years ago that still didn't eliminate the need to talk about this crap.

Tit for tat is fine but the tradeoff isn't fair.  We lose Petey...who do they sacrifice?  It's not an even trade off.

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You seem to overlook something.

We have NEVER gotten away with ANYTHING.  Go look at my Hansen/Hossa video to see an example of that.

Showing that other stuff?    Let's please allow this new team to not have to reflect the "old team".  It's unfair to do so.

And keep it in perspective....the entire way that all played out was a joke.  Lu was SAT on but no GI called.  Thomas could act like a thug and get away with it.  Some teams (who, coincidentally, have connections and Dads who help "oversee" things) get away with murder while others can't bat a puck out of the air without it going unnoticed.

We have been handed the victim mentality, we didn't create it.  Because we have been victims...of a league that's inconsistent and throws the book at us while others can take liberties and smile and skate away.

It's not about getting away with stuff, it's about not letting other teams get away with stuff. I think you will agree on this point as I know how much you want to make sure players get theirs when they take liberties.

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's not about getting away with stuff, it's about not letting other teams get away with stuff. I think you will agree on this point as I know how much you want to make sure players get theirs when they take liberties.

Good point.  You're right...even IF it means we pay a price.  It's worthwhile and probably necessary to do so. Can't disagree with this.

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Am I alone in thinking the best retribution tononight will be to legally brutalize the Panthers’ finesse players and only hit-to-hurt the culprit if the hit serves itself up?

Use the game to build an identity by sending sending a message to the league about the Canucks’ capacity and desire to enforce the Code. Don’t go out of their way to single out the guy, but instead run their skill guys as soon as the puck drops until the game ends. 

Good point. Twisting leg wrap take downs for whoever is good on their team. lol

Edited by lesterz
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Am I alone in thinking the best retribution tononight will be to legally brutalize the Panthers’ finesse players and only hit-to-hurt the culprit if the hit serves itself up?

Use the game to build an identity by sending sending a message to the league about the Canucks’ capacity and desire to enforce the Code. Don’t go out of their way to single out the guy, but instead run their skill guys as soon as the puck drops until the game ends. 

So you're saying play hockey the right way? Yes I agree entirely. The Canucks, especially without Pettersson, need to play a high intensity game to win.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, lesterz said:

Good point. Twisting leg wrap take down for whoever is good on their team. lol

Haha, funny that you and I both don't know who that is? 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Florida? Florida is a big test for the Canucks toughness?

i meant to say regarding the matheson incident, a lot of fans expect fights

50 minutes ago, mll said:

Baertschi averages more hits per game than Horvat - pretty close though.

0.8  Sutter Leivo Baertschi

0.7  Horvat

0.6  Granlund Pettersson Tanev

0.3 Boeser

0.2 Goldobin

0.0 Eriksson :lol: :towel::emot-parrot::frantic::picard::sadno::excl::sadno:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, groovy said:

Hmm.. seems a bit over the top given that he threw a scrawny kid to the ice after being deked out of his jock-strap. It`s a mans league. No need for ending players careers because your darling got tossed on his head. If you think you shall waltz in at 165 lbs and embarrasss players without a target on your back it`s time to get real. It`s the NHL.

Yer smrt.

Just now, lesterz said:

Good point. Twisting leg wrap take down for whoever is good on their team. lol

But... but...

what if the Panthers pull a Canucks and not only don’t respond at all to a brutal cheap-shot on their 100lb superstar, but also pathetically insist that “nobody saw it”? 

If the Canucks can dump the puck into the guy’s corner all night so they can legitimately crank him into the boards, do it. If not, put the puck into his partner’s corner... and let the guy watch.

There are other ways to hurt this guy tonight. Do the Canucks have that in them? 

We will see. 

I’m curious what Bo does tonight. Is this a small defining moment for him? 

What about Mr. Balls? I know what that rat terrier Rousell might do, which will just add to the team’s suspect image and character issues. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Thanks Mll. I think that speaks volumes about Horvat - that guy needs to hit. Boeser gets a free pass in my mind because he's elite sniper status, but Horvat is supposed to be captain material. He wins faceoffs... and is consistent with 2nd line scoring abilities.. but he really needs to hit more. 

I don't feel anyone on a team sport should get a pass. Plenty of of times all what is needed is contact (not a thunderous hit) and to many guys just breeze past , leaving that defense man that a free pass or skate out. First 1 in should always make contact , how many times has rouse or mott freed up the puck behind the enemies net. Boes is not a small fragile flower of a player hes a solid boy.

13 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

You're not alone in that thinking, 189. I totally agree. I do think Matheson should get run as well. A couple of nice, clean, and brutally hard checks

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You're not alone in that thinking, 189. I totally agree. I do think Matheson should get run as well. A couple of nice, clean, and brutally hard checks

let matheson retaliate for the instagater and clean his clock there. Win Win

• Hydration 1

11 minutes ago, Roberts said:

i meant to say regarding the matheson incident, a lot of fans expect fights

Well the Canucks showed how soft the are when they did nothing the night of the incident. Doing something months later just seems dumb. But I am all for a game full of rough stuff. Won't change my opinion of this team being soft overall. You don't wait 3 months to let a guy know his cheap shot isn't cool. Lol.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

This team isnt built for pushback... who on the canucks besides gudbranson is florida afraid of?  

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yup and at the end of the game when we're up by a few goals with obly a minute left, some one take out Matheson for good so there's a message sent that it's not open season on our superstar. End mathesons season for all I care. 

Send a message. Get the W. 

Make sure cheap shot artists think twice before they go after the potential Hart trophy winner. 

Edited by apollo
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

I would just love to see every Canuck finish their checks today. I went to a Victoria Royals game last night and even though they lost to a great team, the Royals has so many strong hits every time they could. It made for some very refreshing hockey.

That’s my issue with having both Goldobin and Baer in the same line up. Neither one likes to touch the opposition and it really impacts the toughness of our lineup. They’re both very similar players in my mind, even though Baer is a step up defensively and with consistency.  We need to play with more of an edge throughout our lineup. Even Pettersson hits and pushes back now and then.

Me too.  Play a solid, hard game....make them feel it at the end of it.

I get very defensive of Petey because he isn't "afraid".  AT 165 lbs, he will get up and shove himself into someone's chest.  It has to be a "we aren't afraid to engage" deal.  Jake brings that sometimes...we need more of it from everyone.  Especially the guys who are supposed to own that role.

• Upvote 1