Sign in to follow this  
therodigy

[GDT] Panthers vs Canucks -- Retribution edition?

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, EdgarM said:

How about realizing that the "darkest days"  started when that little weasel decided to intentionally take out our Captain with a vicious elbow to the head. Then the sick part is the way the league dealt with it after that. Kind of similar to how they deal with these things to this date. Matheson's bodyslam on Petterson for example?  

It was sickening to watch in horror as he delivered that hit to our star player and absolutely nothing happened to him after that and I don't believe he received a penalty or a suspension for it.

Then Bert decides to give him a shot in the head(with a gloved fist I might add) which happened hundreds of times before that and many, many times after that(Gudbranson sucker punch on that guy that elbowed Stech?) and the guy some how gets a broken neck out of that? Like many suspect, the dog pile on him after the fact was what probably caused the broken neck.

So now we are not allowed to have any retributions for these pukes for all for eternity? Brashear's stick to the head? Daniel's elbow to the head? Baert's elbow to the head? etc. etc. etc.

Bert's incident was a freak accident and to say we are not allowed to stick up for our players because of that incident is absurd.

I don't blame Bert for that Moore was the soul reason for our chance at the cup and he ruined a great career for one of the all time Canucks IMHO.

I am 100% for protecting the players when incidents happen.  This never works when points are so important. Team has needed a tougher response in the two incidents. Maybe we wait until we play Montreal next to make up for that dirty play. Bla bla bla. They need to respond to anyone taking liberties on Elias when it happens, Even if its somewhat clean. Teams have to know you can't hit, target or look at Elias sideways!  

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

I remember the opinions on the forum pretty well then: about half hated giving up on a young offensive player (and a second round pick and a sixty included too); while the other half suspected that we'd badly need a solid D.  Obviously, Gudbranson has not been everything we hoped, but he has been getting better -- this year he's been good.  The thing that surprises me is that McCann hasn't been better. 

Tallon needed to move a D for cap reasons and they picked Guddy.  At the time of the trade, McCann was a good prospect and a first round pick who had fallen in the draft.  Add to that a 2nd and some fine tuning with a 4th and 5th going in opposite directions and a deal was made.  On first blush it was fairly even.  Guddy had a reputation as a hard rock D and McCann was all potential.  The risk was all with Florida, it was a good move on Benning's part and 2 some years later, he won the deal.

• Hydration 4

9 hours ago, gurn said:

No need to go after Naslund after that as he was never very good, after the hit anyway.

I don't think that's what halted Naslunds prolific career... It probably didn't help though. 

Naslund came back from the injury that year and got 9 points in the first round vs Calgary... This was with Bertuzzi injured... He was still one of the leagues top 3 players IMO. 

The next year he had 79 points in 81 games... Which is still elite level imo. 

He really slowed down after those years tho... 

At his peak, Markus was definitely one of the all time great. 

#19 :goat:

9 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Tallon needed to move a D for cap reasons and they picked Guddy.  At the time of the trade, McCann was a good prospect and a first round pick who had fallen in the draft.  Add to that a 2nd and some fine tuning with a 4th and 5th going in opposite directions and a deal was made.  On first blush it was fairly even.  Guddy had a reputation as a hard rock D and McCann was all potential.  The risk was all with Florida, it was a good move on Benning's part and 2 some years later, he won the deal.

Talk about McCann's negative personality aside I thought he had a decent game. Has some size now and goes to the net a lot. The interesting comparison his McCann and Virtanen. Virtanen is a much higher pick but his development after some bumps looks much further along. That might be more a commentary about life as a NHL'er in Florida than anything else. It looks like McCann will be a NHL'er but that is not guaranted. 

IMHO I still like this deal for Vancouver. They moved a low 1st rdr for an experienced d-man drafts #3 in his draft year. Canucks were desperate for size and physicality on the d-core and got it in Guddy. There were a stretch of games last fall where Guddy was dominating games.  

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

He has that douchey attitude to him, makes me sorta glad he got traded.

Seems like Andrey Pedan was right, McCann was a douche

I remeber the Sedins saying somthing about some younger players in the locker room when McCann was still a Canuck. Wonder if Henrik was talking about him. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, smokes said:

I remeber the Sedins saying somthing about some younger players in the locker room when McCann was still a Canuck. Wonder if Henrik was talking about him. 

Good call Smokes... It sounds very possible when looking at other former players quotes ...

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Talk about McCann's negative personality aside I thought he had a decent game. Has some size now and goes to the net a lot. The interesting comparison his McCann and Virtanen. Virtanen is a much higher pick but his development after some bumps looks much further along. That might be more a commentary about life as a NHL'er in Florida than anything else. It looks like McCann will be a NHL'er but that is not guaranted. 

IMHO I still like this deal for Vancouver. They moved a low 1st rdr for an experienced d-man drafts #3 in his draft year. Canucks were desperate for size and physicality on the d-core and got it in Guddy. There were a stretch of games last fall where Guddy was dominating games.  

You'd make that trade every single day of the week, in particular with the position Canucks were in at that stage... 

• Hydration 1

55 minutes ago, smokes said:

I seem to recall it was Daniel and it came up shortly after the team did a piece on Jake hanging with Biebs

at the end of the day,Beth Bartkowski and Pedan are out of the league and McCann is still here

Edited by lmm

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I seem to recall it was Daniel and it came up shortly after the team did a piece on Jake hanging with Biebs

All along I thought they were talking about Jake and now I realize I knew nothing.

3 hours ago, smokes said:

All along I thought they were talking about Jake and now I realize I knew nothing.

I think it was probably both Jake and McCann. They didn't fit the old culture but weren't good enough to bring in the new one.

Everything since the Torts hiring was sending mixed messages.

We need a culture change... oh wait not that much of a culture change cuz the stale old crew doesn't like it.

We need youth... lets shelter Bo, oh wait Bo is better than we thought.

We still need youth... OK you want youth, we'll bring in the 2 youngest guys we have and keep them all year claiming they both have nothing to prove in the CHL.

Hey everybody, look at Jake hanging with the Biebs... Oh wait Jake thinks he is a rock star, batter slap him down in the media

Hey lets make a new culture but still base it on our 2 oldest player running up a hill faster than anyone else.... so lets publicly humiliate Tryamkin and Sestito for not running up the hill fast enough

Our new rookie scored a breakaway goal... lets bench him

Torts was brought in 6 years ago, but the culture change did not start until last summer when the Sedins retired and Beagle and Roussell were signed.

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

I think it was probably both Jake and McCann. They didn't fit the old culture but weren't good enough to bring in the new one.

Everything since the Torts hiring was sending mixed messages.

We need a culture change... oh wait not that much of a culture change cuz the stale old crew doesn't like it.

We need youth... lets shelter Bo, oh wait Bo is better than we thought.

We still need youth... OK you want youth, we'll bring in the 2 youngest guys we have and keep them all year claiming they both have nothing to prove in the CHL.

Hey everybody, look at Jake hanging with the Biebs... Oh wait Jake thinks he is a rock star, batter slap him down in the media

Hey lets make a new culture but still base it on our 2 oldest player running up a hill faster than anyone else.... so lets publicly humiliate Tryamkin and Sestito for not running up the hill fast enough

Our new rookie scored a breakaway goal... lets bench him

Torts was brought in 6 years ago, but the culture change did not start until last summer when the Sedins retired and Beagle and Roussell were signed.

Wasn't Bo (who should be our Captain) the first to challenge Matheson?  Then, a series of guys - even Hutton!  (My God!  Hutton is a marshmallow!)  Bo lead the charge, and the other guys followed.  Then Guddy stepped up and fought the Florida goon.  I see our guys really bonding into a tight knit group, under (like you say) this newly developing leadership group. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wasn't Bo (who should be our Captain) the first to challenge Matheson?  Then, a series of guys - even Hutton!  (My God!  Hutton is a marshmallow!)  Bo lead the charge, and the other guys followed.  Then Guddy stepped up and fought the Florida goon.  I see our guys really bonding into a tight knit group, under (like you say) this newly developing leadership group. 

I think you are correct, Bo may have in his first shift, but Beagle and Roussell were there as well, in  Beagle's case right up to the final whistle.

Beagle did not seem interested in letting it go. I like that.

I think a culture change is harder than most think, Torts couldn't because it was Sedin Culture and he couldn't break that.

Willie thought he could, but he couldn't either because the Sedins were still here.

Green didn't last season, same reason. Nor did Bo because it wasn't his time.

I think the Beagle and Roussell signings were good, but did not take immediate effect because Roussell came to came injured and Beagle got injured 5 games in.

Now after 1/2 a season these 2 are starting to rub off on the rest of the group, including Bo, Hutton, even Guber, who is more comfortable in his role.

I honestly think the roasting the team took on social media has also helped. Players say, I don't read the papers, etc, but they do read social media and they can't have escaped hearing the fans displeasure with the teams reaction to Matheson round 1 or Koekeniemi. And they must have heard also the accolades for the Tampa game.

I think the Sedins could have ignored it, but the young guys can't.

It is a nice change. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/13/2019 at 5:08 PM, Doesntmakesense said:

Good bye Tanev.. please go watch the  new movie Glass when you are on IR

Is your real name Richard Head by any chance?

On 1/13/2019 at 5:23 PM, debluvscanucks said:

This comment is crap.  I've underlined the parts that make it so.

The "your darling" sounds a bit envious.

If a player is embarrassed by another's play, that's his issue.  Not the guy waltzing around him.  Work harder, don't play dirty.

And 165 lb player has nothing to do with it.  Moore was bigger...did it matter?  It's about the act, not the weight class. 

So, with that....it's ok to "target" players?  Then you should have zero problem with people who scream for retribution then.  Seems fair.

This "man's league" stuff?    What a ridiculous comment.  It's hockey, not the1950's pool hall.

So a guy shouldn't be able to play amazing hockey out there?  Without being body slammed?  I beg to differ.  Who do you think generates more interest and fans in the seats?  Petey or a plug named Matheson?  What's better for the league? 

Guys who can deke others out of their jock straps are gold and few and far between.  Those are the ones who are doing it "right".  Not the thugs who are embarrassed by them (who need anger management and resort to drastic measures rather than good hockey plays).

On 1/13/2019 at 5:50 PM, buddhahoodlum said:

WHAT?! Body slamming a player to the ice is NOT a hockey play dude. That kind of play has no business outside of a WWE ring. If that was a clean play Matheson would not have been suspended. Get real. 

Not approving of Matheson`s play, nor did the league. Simply responding to the suggestion that the Canucks go out and end Mathesson`s career, which I think is a bit too much to ask for. He acted in the heat of the moment and Petey is a light weight who got hurt. It happens in hockey.

6 hours ago, groovy said:

and Petey is a light weight who got hurt. It happens in hockey.

Body slams don't "happen in hockey" (or aren't supposed to).   So don't undermine the brutality of it or somehow slide it in as a hockey play.  It was garbage.  Even the league agreed that it's not supposed to happen in hockey (even if it does).  It's like blaming someone who's been hit by a drunk driver for driving a neon instead of a truck then explaining that drunk driving is a thing.

Your suggestion that this is somehow related to Petey's lack of weight is ridiculous.  There's an old saying..."the bigger they are, the harder they fall" and anyone caught off guard and off balance then slammed to an icy surface is likely going to be hurt.  

Such crap.

You're making excuses for him...who cares if it was "heat of the moment"??    

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Body slams don't "happen in hockey" (or aren't supposed to).   So don't undermine the brutality of it or somehow slide it in as a hockey play.  It was garbage.  Even the league agreed that it's not supposed to happen in hockey (even if it does).  It's like blaming someone who's been hit by a drunk driver for driving a neon instead of a truck then explaining that drunk driving is a thing.

Your suggestion that this is somehow related to Petey's lack of weight is ridiculous.  There's an old saying..."the bigger they are, the harder they fall" and anyone caught off guard and off balance then slammed to an icy surface is likely going to be hurt.  

Such crap.

You're making excuses for him...who cares if it was "heat of the moment"??    

if it was all in one motion i dont think i'd have a problem with it but he pinned him against the boards and the used his stick to pretty much body slam him full force.

• Upvote 1

sorry to bump up the thread, but I made this and this seems like the best place to share it...

math.jpg.c3c9ec66789087e24cee9ddf309c97e8.jpgorca_panthers_c.jpg.292364568e120c908b4e3cc7e69a4a8e.jpg

• Hydration 1