The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biggest threat to Canucks playoffs - Fortnite

Nuke

Wtf! The Alien is a Fortnite player!! 

Should we worry hes staying up all night leveling trying to become the Ice King?! 

Where is EPs Mother when we mostly need her?! Pull the plug!! 

From swedish Daily News:

"De verkar trivas bra ihop på sidan av isen också, även om de har lite olika intressen. Enligt Markström blir det en hel del tv-spel för Pettersson. (According to Markstrom theres a whole LOT of gaming going on for Pettersson) 

– Ja, visst spelar jag lite Fortnite, det ska jag inte stå här och ljuga om. (- Yeah, sure I play a bit Fortnite, I should not lie about that) Det är några i laget som spelar och sen så är det många polare hemma i Sverige som spelar också. (- A few guys on the team are playing, and theres a lot of friends back home thats also playing) Det blir ofta att jag spelar direkt när jag kommer hem från träningarna så jag ska hinna spela med kompisarna hemma i Sverige innan de ska gå och lägga sig, säger Pettersson. (Often I play directly after practice so I can play with my friends back home before they go to bed,  says Pettersson) 

Är du bra på Fortnite också?

– Nja, jag är bättre på hockey, mer än så behöver vi inte säga, haha. (Are you good at Fortnite too? No, not that good, Im better in hockey, dont need to say no more than that). "

Please Mummy - call your son and make sure he comes to bed at night!! 

_20190113_222213.JPG

17 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

A fortnight is a unit of time equal to 14 days (2 weeks). The word derives from the Old English: fēowertyne niht, meaning "fourteen nights".

Thank you for the etymology of a word that has nothing to do with this thread other than being a homophone for the game Fortnite's title?

Video games is a great freaking way of getting your mind of things and winding down. Kinda perfect for elite athletes. 

It's all about balance. Don't understand the big deal that people make out of it. It's a social thing as well. 

I know some will spin this as a negative, I appreciate you op. 

For someone like Elias Pettersson, playing Fortnite may actually be highly beneficial. See how relaxed he is on the bench? How calm he is? Maybe Fortnite is an outlet for him. Who knows.

What I do know is that teams (including the Canucks) spend big bucks on trying to improve the mental health/conditioning of their players through the use of psychologists and sleep doctors and so on and so forth. Maybe Fortnite is EP's way of zoning out for a bit. You can't be 100% hockey all the time.

Not worried at all....... as long as he doesnt start staying up too late before game days. But that doesnt seem to be a worry, since he plays with his Swedish friends, and they will all be in bed.

I know this is a joke, but I'll give it a somewhat serious response. Young players with a video game hobby is good for the league, and the players. The activity is fine to do when your muscles are relaxing, it's not going to cause injury, and it's way better than being out drinking for conditioning. He plays with teammates (Dahlen, Stetcher, Virtanen, Hutton I think too?) and keeps in touch with friends at home.

It's good for the guys to have some balance and things outside hockey they can do, that doesn't involve getting hammered.

Archived