The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

8 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Word is that the Canes would easily consider moving Ferland because it is believed his agent has hinted he will be seeking a 'Wilson-type' contract when he becomes UFA this spring.    There's no way I'd give Ferland the money/term that Wilson got. 

I would. This guy on Petterssons wing would be priceless. He’s tough, intimidating and has good hands. He could help keep Pettersson safer from cheap shots. What do you think teams game plans are going to be in the future against the Canucks? Play Pettersson hard and you have a chance, especially in a playoff series. 

I’d give him 5 million for 6 years. He would only be 32 at the end of the contract. 

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

I would. This guy on Petterssons wing would be priceless. He’s tough, intimidating and has good hands. He could help keep Pettersson safer from cheap shots. What do you think teams game plans are going to be in the future against the Canucks? Play Pettersson hard and you have a chance, especially in a playoff series. 

I’d give him 5 million for 6 years. He would only be 32 at the end of the contract. 

^^. This ..  Pettersen needs a forward that can play with him and have “Presence”.

Ferland is quick,  has brains, soft hands.. complete 200ft game..

..if we do not acquire a player of his “caliber” that CAN play with EP..  Elias will be getting injured as often as Tanev and Edler.

We’ll be lucky to get 50 games a year out of EP because of the physical attention he will draw.. the type he is currently attracting and worse.

Just now, SilentSam said:

^^. This ..  Pettersen needs a forward that can play with him and have “Presence”.

Ferland is quick,  has brains, soft hands.. complete 200ft game..

..if we do not acquire a player of his “caliber” that CAN play with EP..  Elias will be getting injured as often as Tanev and Edler.

We’ll be lucky to get 50 games a year out of EP because of the physical attention he will draw.. the type he is currently attracting and worse.

Indeed. It's a great match. A still young-ish LW with some size and grit capable of putting up top 6 numbers. I imagine his numbers would take even more of an upswing playing on a line with Pettersson and Boeser. Players with his upside don't become available too often, and considering that he's still in his mid twenties, he should have a solid 4 or 5 years left in his prime before any serious regression occurs.

Point is that you can't rebuild forever, and Ferlund fills our need more so than pretty much any of our other forward prospects. 

Also important to note that Pettersson is here...now. He needs someone on his line that can play and at the same time hold other teams accountable, and he needs it now. There's no sense in waiting for two years and hoping that something else comes along or that someone like Jonah Gadjovich eventually pans out and can fill that role. Not to sound like an alarmist, but by then it could be too late. Petey has already been targeted twice. I'm not willing to let it keep happening while we sit on our hands and wait for something better to come along. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice to see a consensus "get Ferland here" Exactly one of the parts we need. Any combo of prospects, picks, Goldy. No to trading our first and Hughes or Juolevi.

I mostly agree, although I'd be extremely skeptical of giving up Wu, Demko, or Dahlen either. 

8 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I mostly agree, although I'd be extremely skeptical of giving up Wu, Demko, or Dahlen either. 

Have to agree the window for working with EP’s talents starts NOW.. not in 2 or 3 years.

Ferland could easily compliment EP for 2 -3 years, and then someone else’s time perhaps.

If we keep talking and thinking draft picks,.  We fall the way of the perpetual lottery wheel, we could easily become the “Gong Show” that the Oilers star in.

First Carolina gives up Lindholm to bring this guy in.

And their owner is all-in, all-offense, all-the-time, WIN-NOW, no patience....

Half way through the season he's rumoured to be on the market.

What an all-around fail by Carolina's new ownership.

Here's why I don't see a deal happening:  Carolina needs to recover too much to save face.

It's not worth it to this team under the circumstances - that is, unless they're woefully overvaluing offensive talent and are prepared to take a guy like Goldobin as the principal.

Talk of Sutter, Goldy/Granny, 1st is batshizz crazy btw.

He's an interesting target - worth putting it out there that you're interested regardless - 1) to raise the price for other potential buyers and 2) to let the player know indirectly that you'll be interested on July 1st.

38 minutes ago, rekker said:

Nice to see a consensus "get Ferland here" Exactly one of the parts we need. Any combo of prospects, picks, Goldy. No to trading our first and Hughes or Juolevi, Woo, Demko.

Unfortunately the "consensus" here is sometimes very wrong ^_^

51 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Indeed. It's a great match. A still young-ish LW with some size and grit capable of putting up top 6 numbers. I imagine his numbers would take even more of an upswing playing on a line with Pettersson and Boeser. Players with his upside don't become available too often, and considering that he's still in his mid twenties, he should have a solid 4 or 5 years left in his prime before any serious regression occurs.

Point is that you can't rebuild forever, and Ferlund fills our need more so than pretty much any of our other forward prospects. 

Also important to note that Pettersson is here...now. He needs someone on his line that can play and at the same time hold other teams accountable, and he needs it now. There's no sense in waiting for two years and hoping that something else comes along or that someone like Jonah Gadjovich eventually pans out and can fill that role. Not to sound like an alarmist, but by then it could be too late. Petey has already been targeted twice. I'm not willing to let it keep happening while we sit on our hands and wait for something better to come along. 

Aho and Teravainen are pretty good players in their own right, so I'm not sure if Ferland will have another uptick in offense.

While I wouldn't mind seeing how Ferland does here, I'm also not looking to pay an absurd price to acquire him and then giving him a payout that may or may not pan out long term and could affect our cap space if he doesn't live up to the new expectation consistently.

We could use someone like him, but we don't need to be desperate about it.

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Jake with a good period. Wonder if he's heard the Ferkland rumours. I want both Jake and Ferkland on the team but I could see the Canes asking for Jake. 

That is not a trade we make. This is a UFA play only imo. 

Archived