The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

Again. People need to understand the type of player ferklund is on a consistent basis. He’s not what Vancouver needs for the price it’s going to cost. He not a protector. Just ask John hockey how much he kept other teams in check. He’s not good defensive. He plays zero SH TOI, gets 60% ozone starts. He not the type of guy to lay out in front of a shot. Even The Russian svech has more blocked shots. Ferkland shows up essientally every 3rd or 4th game goes on a bit of a streak and then disappears for the next 5 games where he floats. Very similar to what we saw with kassian. 

Chris Kreisler would make far more sense for Vancouver.  Can score (consistently puts up 20 goals), can skate and drives to the net. Best of all he’s still got another year on his contract so he’s not a rental. 

Have to echo what other folks are saying. Unlikely CAR gets a 1st + for him as a hockey trade to a lesser team and it'd be a late 1st and B piece as a rental to a contender which is a, decidedly sup par return for what was Lindholm.

There's also zero chance he gets anything like $6x6.

$4.5 X 4 years or $4 X 5 years...sure.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That tells me his heart's not in staying there :lol:

According to insiders in Raleigh, and a source I can't name, he would like to re-sign. But he's not intending on giving anyone a discount - he knows with his style of play this is his one payday. He has a young family and this is their future - he's not sacrificing several million dollars for anyone.

Just now, Captain Azzy said:

According to insiders in Raleigh, and a source I can't name, he would like to re-sign. But he's not intending on giving anyone a discount - he knows with his style of play this is his one payday. He has a young family and this is their future - he's not sacrificing several million dollars for anyone.

Fair enough re: the family and one chance to cash in etc but I can't see anyone paying him 6x6. Good on him if he gets it, just don't see it happening!

I'd think if CAR's willing to pay him anywhere near $4.5 +/- for 4 or 5 years, he should just take it and stay on what appears to be a good, young team. 

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Ferland is not getting more than 5.1 mill Wilson makes. Wilson is younger, meaner tougher, and better.

Despite his tough guy reputation on CDC,  he's not much of a fighter.  And he's inconsistent. 

JB should try to sign as UFA not worth the assets it will cost for trade.

There's tons of videos of Ferland not only fighting, but winning. Protecting team mates. Sparking lifeless games. Hate him all you want, but the guy throws them more than most.

31 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

Hard pass on this guy...he might have a yr or two of decent hockey in him and will fall off a cliff after that. Not worth giving up prospects for and what he will demand as a free agent. We have Rousell and im happy with his play.

They need his size and the bit of wildman game, he can play in the playoffs and be quite effective when teams actually bodycheck with intent.

Goldobin, Granlund,Gagner and a conditional 2nd(if he re-signs with the club)

Ferland and a b prospect or 4th round pick coming back since he is a rental.

Would Carolina consider it?

39 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Again. People need to understand the type of player ferklund is on a consistent basis. He’s not what Vancouver needs for the price it’s going to cost. He not a protector. Just ask John hockey how much he kept other teams in check. He’s not good defensive. He plays zero SH TOI, gets 60% ozone starts. He not the type of guy to lay out in front of a shot. Even The Russian svech has more blocked shots. Ferkland shows up essientally every 3rd or 4th game goes on a bit of a streak and then disappears for the next 5 games where he floats. Very similar to what we saw with kassian. 

Chris Kreisler would make far more sense for Vancouver.  Can score (consistently puts up 20 goals), can skate and drives to the net. Best of all he’s still got another year on his contract so he’s not a rental. 

You think Kreider's available? He'd cost some assets for sure...

Thoughts on targeting Stone should he reach UFA?

10 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

They need his size and the bit of wildman game, he can play in the playoffs and be quite effective when teams actually bodycheck with intent.

Goldobin would be of interest, but not Granlund or Gagner. Neither would make the Canes team so are a nil return.

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

They want a 1st and asset apparently. 1st and Goldobin would probably make it work, but no thanks if that's the price.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

They will get a better offer I'm sure.

What if the Canucks went Goldobin and a conditional 1st (either top 10 protected) or conditional on him re-signing?

That would be a huge statement to the fans that they are out of the rebuild and are now trying to win and make the playoffs again.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They will get a better offer I'm sure.

A late 1st and similar prospect from a contender is largely a wash to Goldobin and a 2nd. 

Either way, they're both awful returns on what was Lindholm. They're better off just offering him a fair extension. 

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd think if CAR's willing to pay him anywhere near $4.5 +/- for 4 or 5 years, he should just take it and stay on what appears to be a good, young team. 

IMO, this 'rumour' is just 'Canes management (and goofy ownership) attempting to play hardball/negotiation tactic.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

A late 1st and similar prospect from a contender is largely a wash to Goldobin and a 2nd. 

Either way, they're both awful returns on what was Lindholm. They're better off just offering him a fair extension. 

IMO, this 'rumour' is just 'Canes management (and goofy ownership) attempting to play hardball/negotiation tactic.

I disagree because a late 1st is more valuable  than a mid-2nd. Teams often trade two 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd to move up into the late 1st from our position. A similar prospect if younger has more potential in that they can groom them in their system and won't need waivers, so not forced to put him in the NHL. Also Goldobin is due for a raise as his contract is up versus a player that may still have another year left on a cheaper contract.

I think that the prospect they're looking for might be someone better than Goldobin or similar though.

I agree that the return will likely not make back up the initial trade, but at the time of the trade, I don't think many would have predicted that it would be this far off despite liking the deal or not.

7 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

What if the Canucks went Goldobin and a conditional 1st (either top 10 protected) or conditional on him re-signing?

That would be a huge statement to the fans that they are out of the rebuild and are now trying to win and make the playoffs again.

If they can agree to it being a 2020 1st, I wouldn't move this year's 1st.

Archived