The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

28 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Who would they want then?

Gadjovich?

Hutton?

Palmu?

They don't want D, so not Hutton. Palmu won't have any value. I'd say the likes of Gaudette, Jonah, perhaps Leivo even.

The Canes just fleeced the Wild for El Nino, so any Ferland deal is going to be a humdinger.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I disagree because a late 1st is more valuable  than a mid-2nd. Teams often trade two 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd to move up into the late 1st from our position. A similar prospect if younger has more potential in that they can groom them in their system and won't need waivers, so not forced to put him in the NHL. Also Goldobin is due for a raise as his contract is up versus a player that may still have another year left on a cheaper contract.

I think that the prospect they're looking for might be someone better than Goldobin or similar though.

I agree that the return will likely not make back up the initial trade, but at the time of the trade, I don't think many would have predicted that it would be this far off despite liking the deal or not.

I'm still assuming our 2nd will be in the first 3rd of the round. We'll see how that ends up.

Regardless, the value's close enough that even if we had to add one of our extra 6th rounders or a C prospect or something, it's basically a wash.

Our early to mid 1st has WAY more value than a contender's late one. No way I'm giving it up, lottery protected or otherwise.

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

You think Kreider's available? He'd cost some assets for sure...

Thoughts on targeting Stone should he reach UFA?

Yep both him and Hayes have been said to be on the market for the right price. I know flames were kicking on the tires on both of those guys. Not sure on what NYR is looking for in return. 

Speaking of the flames they are also also said to be interested in stone as a pure rental. The thinking is next year MT is going to be getting a big raise and GIO likely not going to maintain this level of play for that much longer they might aswell go in. 

For us next you if were going after a big UFA. I’d spend in on a RHD (cough cough EK) before adding another forward. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Yep both him and Hayes have been said to be on the market for the right price. I know flames were kicking on the tires on both of those guys. Not sure on what NYR is looking for in return. 

Speaking of the flames they are also also said to be interested in stone as a pure rental. The thinking is next year MT is going to be getting a big raise and GIO likely not going to maintain this level of play for that much longer they might aswell go in. 

For us next you if were going after a big UFA. I’d spend in on a RHD (cough cough EK) before adding another forward. 

I somehow doubt we'd like Kreider's price tag from NYR.

Stone would be a good add for CAL. Cost them some pretty nice assets though...

Yeah I'd target EK too but between the likely price tag and the lower likelihood of him signing on a 'coming out of rebuild' team... I'm not holding my breath. In a scenario we can't afford/EK has no interest...I'd look long and hard at Stone.

52 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

There's tons of videos of Ferland not only fighting, but winning. Protecting team mates. Sparking lifeless games. Hate him all you want, but the guy throws them more than most.

I don't hate him. I don't hate any hockey player. Not sure where you got that from. 

He's had 2 fights in CAR. 24 PIMs so far. Thats less than Kucherov. Sits 164th in the NHL. Bo Horvat has same PIM.

And this in a contract year. It's fare to expect he'd be extra physical and more willing to throw in contract year.

Had 24 PIMs in 77 games last year. 4 fights. 

He is physical and is a good fighter. But he's no Tom Wilson who has 5 fights in 27 games. 

Ferland is good when he's physical and involved. He has consistency issues. 

Canucks aren't in a position to give up assets it would take. 

Try to sign him as UFA. Not worth the cost it would take to trade for him if it involves a 1st and prospect. 

All depends on cost but you're not getting him for Goldobin or Pouliot. 

55 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

They need his size and the bit of wildman game, he can play in the playoffs and be quite effective when teams actually bodycheck with intent.

Goldobin, Granlund,Gagner and a conditional 2nd(if he re-signs with the club)

Ferland and a b prospect or 4th round pick coming back since he is a rental.

Would Carolina consider it?

Playoffs is still a bit of a long shot and giving up a b prospect for a rental makes zero sense for us....especially if we missed the playoffs. Even if resigned i still wouldnt want to give a 2nd for him. I really think hes over-rated and will demand 4-6 mill a season. 

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I somehow doubt we'd like Kreider's price tag from NYR.

Stone would be a good add for CAL. Cost them some pretty nice assets though...

Yeah I'd target EK too but between the likely price tag and the lower likelihood of him signing on a 'coming out of rebuild' team... I'm not holding my breath. In a scenario we can't afford/EK has no interest...I'd look long and hard at Stone.

Stone is a heck of a player and a real playoff guy. I’d love leader like him on our team.  But he’s also said to be wanting in the 9 million range. With EP and BB going to be getting raises I’m not sure if I want another big contract forward. I think we need save that money to shore of our D. Even if we don’t fluke out and land EK. We do need help on the back end and having that cap free could really help. Petro could be an ufa to target the following summer. 

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't hate him. I don't hate any hockey player. Not sure where you got that from. 

He's had 2 fights in CAR. 24 PIMs so far. Thats less than Kucherov. Sits 164th in the NHL. Bo Horvat has same PIM.

And this in a contract year. It's fare to expect he'd be extra physical and more willing to throw in contract year.

Had 24 PIMs in 77 games last year. 4 fights. 

He is physical and is a good fighter. But he's no Tom Wilson who has 5 fights in 27 games. 

Ferland is good when he's physical and involved. He has consistency issues. 

Canucks aren't in a position to give up assets it would take. 

Try to sign him as UFA. Not worth the cost it would take to trade for him if it involves a 1st and prospect. 

All depends on cost but you're not getting him for Goldobin or Pouliot. 

Assuming we can sign him right after the trade, I'd give up Goldobin and a 2nd for him for sure.  I think he is exactly what we need, and if we could lock him up before hits the open market, it would be a huge win for us.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Stone is a heck of a player and a real playoff guy. I’d love leader like him on our team.  But he’s also said to be wanting in the 9 million range. With EP and BB going to be getting raises I’m not sure if I want another big contract forward. I think we need save that money to shore of our D. Even if we don’t fluke out and land EK. We do need help on the back end and having that cap free could really help. Petro could be an ufa to target the following summer. 

Yeah $9m is probably out of my comfort zone for Stone. I'm hoping that's his ask to stay in the tire fire that is OTT but he'd be more reasonable on a longer term deal with a real NHL team. $7m'ish X 6 years or so.

Yeah the back end needs the most work (and/or a lot of our longer shot prospects hitting). I like Pietro but he'll also be a year+ older than EK by the time he hits UFA and he's damn good but he's not Karlsson. Spending likely damn near as much money/term on an older, less good player that will be that much further in to disrupting our cap at the end of the contract... it's less... appealing...

I'm of the mind it's Karlsson or 'bust' on our D. If we can't land him, we roll with what we've got and maybe tweak with trades or secondary #2-#3D UFA's supplementing our prospects and maybe, an eventual Tryamkin return.

If it's that latter route, Stone would certainly be a nice consolation prize and an exact fit for what our forward group needs.

RH Dman who can move the puck , walk the line, has a good shot and can QB the PP is the most pressing need for this team. 

If JB wants to move valuable assets in a trade he should look for a RD first. 

If a guy like Reeves can play on Vegas it's fair to assume he can play for rebuilding Canucks. JB should adress toughness via acquiring a bottom six  player in trade or UFA signing. 

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Assuming we can sign him right after the trade, I'd give up Goldobin and a 2nd for him for sure.  I think he is exactly what we need, and if we could lock him up before hits the open market, it would be a huge win for us.

I would do that trade as well IF he's willing to sign for under 5 mill 5 years. 

I don't think he will. He'll want longer term and more money. He'll get that as UFA so he's likely to wait. 

9 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I would do that trade as well IF he's willing to sign for under 5 mill 5 years. 

I don't think he will. He'll want longer term and more money. He'll get that as UFA so he's likely to wait. 

I'm with you, I'd do 5x5, but no higher.  The potential to play on the 1st line with EP and Brock may help.  I think he is the perfect guy for that line.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:52 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Jake doesn't have it in him to be a tough guy. He can hit and  become a good power forward. He could even scrap with other non tough guys but he will never be the type of guy who drops the gloves with the heavyweights of the league. 

Ferland doesn't drop the gloves with any of the heavyweights of the league either.

1 hour ago, Captain Azzy said:

There's tons of videos of Ferland not only fighting, but winning. Protecting team mates. Sparking lifeless games. Hate him all you want, but the guy throws them more than most.

When he does fight, he usually wins.....because he's usually fighting guys who aren't very good at it. 

2 minutes ago, sampy said:

Watson is pretty tough

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/n257684

Ferland is exactly what the Canucks need. And they’re weak at LW. 

Goldobin, Dipietro and a pick

Watson is big, but he's not a very good fighter. I don't dislike Ferland, but I watched him play many games against the Oilers and he had many opportunities to drop the gloves with Lucic, Kassian, Maroon and even Nurse.....and its not like those guys are scared of Ferland. He picks his spots a little too much for my liking. He'll fight non fighters, smaller guys or guys who do fight but who aren't that good at it.

14 minutes ago, Drop Em said:

Watson is big, but he's not a very good fighter. I don't dislike Ferland, but I watched him play many games against the Oilers and he had many opportunities to drop the gloves with Lucic, Kassian, Maroon and even Nurse.....and its not like those guys are scared of Ferland. He picks his spots a little too much for my liking. He'll fight non fighters, smaller guys or guys who do fight but who aren't that good at it.

He did fine in both fights against Bieksa and beat Dorsett. Ferland can throw them. 

He's annoying as hell to play against, but is an incredible asset to have on any team, especially come playoff time. 

Archived