The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

1 hour ago, Maketherightmove said:

He'd have beaten the sh*t out of Matheson and made JK turtle though.

Would be a great winger to play with EP & Brock. 

Really? Are you sure? Cuz the ferland  know really doesnt fight much. 

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

There is something to be said that the flames have been a lot better sans Ferland.

I’d love to say it was all ferklund but really it comes down to coaching I think. Gully was stubborn. He made his mind up on guys and stuck with it. Like last year he would never go back to putting gio and Brodie back together. He was adamant that Hamilton was a better fit with gio since he was a right shot. But the past (And what we are seeing today) is that when gio and TJ are together they are an elite d pairing. Currently gio and Brodie sit #1&2 in plus minus and have combined 68 points.  

Gully didn’t even have gio or Hamilton on the #1 pp unit despite them being the flames most offensive D guys.  He had Brodie who struggled heavily. Hamilton finally got moved there at the halfway point. Gully made some bone head decisions last year like having Brouwer lose 3 face offs in a row in the final 2 minutes only to have it end up costing flames the 2 points. 

One thing you see with peters is he rides his hot guys and isn’t afraid to shake things up. Any close game in the 3rd he cuts it down to his best playing 9 forwards on that night rather than rolling 4 lines. It also helps the have more depth. Lindholm has been great and hamonic is playing so good while taking hanifin under his wing. That and ritich coming out of no where to play like a number one. 

11 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

They want a first this year? Easy pass for us. Edmonton bite maybe? Their first is apparently on the market.

They will have to drop on that stance..

anything I have read is that both sides are very far apart.

Canes are almost certain to lose the asset for nothing if they don’t come to their senses soon.. 

But sure, the Oilers might be the exception to that.

MF is only a 1.75m cap hit .. that in itself .. leaves him to be a great rental for a playoff contender.

Here is a stat I didn’t realize, I’m not into analytics,  but it’s a stat that makes a GM and Coach salavate..

701 hits in 285 games..

Could be a great asset here, and at 26 yrs,  a great age to be with our 20-25 yr olds.

personally I think Ferland is just blossoming into the power forward he was to become, and realistically, it’s probably the right age.

As much as Ferland might be a nice fit on our team, we aren't in a position to give up the assets needed to acquire him at the TDL. If he is available go after him July 1. it is also risky to trade for a plyaer like that in hopes he re signs with you.

we need to find someone to play with Pistol and "protect" him. I know he is a RW, and Columbus would want a lot for him but, Josh Anderson is younger and has controlled contract years before UFA. If we make a trade, I would go after him.

You can put Boeser with Bo to help give us 2 lines that can score, and if Jake ever gets a shot to be a top 6 on the Canucks why not play him on the LW, he played that his whole life before we drafted him

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

As much as Ferland might be a nice fit on our team, we aren't in a position to give up the assets needed to acquire him at the TDL. If he is available go after him July 1. it is also risky to trade for a plyaer like that in hopes he re signs with you.

we need to find someone to play with Pistol and "protect" him. I know he is a RW, and Columbus would want a lot for him but, Josh Anderson is younger and has controlled contract years before UFA. If we make a trade, I would go after him.

You can put Boeser with Bo to help give us 2 lines that can score, and if Jake ever gets a shot to be a top 6 on the Canucks why not play him on the LW, he played that his whole life before we drafted him

I think we have 10 draft picks going into this years draft.

IF a contract was signed by Ferland with us that made sense, I would be happy to see a 2nd rnd pick go to the Canes to get him.  Assets are assets and Benning has been acquiring picks and prospects for all possibilities.

Developing is one part of the program to make a team.

Trading at the right time in a TEAMS development is another.

If the guaranteed piece of paper came with MF to play with us for consecutive years, for him to ADD an element that would enhance EPettersens, and Micheals own game..  that could be a premium hockey move easily worth a 2nd round pick.

21 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think we have 10 draft picks going into this years draft.

IF a contract was signed by Ferland with us that made sense, I would be happy to see a 2nd rnd pick go to the Canes to get him.  Assets are assets and Benning has been acquiring picks and prospects for all possibilities.

Developing is one part of the program to make a team.

Trading at the right time in a TEAMS development is another.

If the guaranteed piece of paper came with MF to play with us for consecutive years, for him to ADD an element that would enhance EPettersens, and Micheals own game..  that could be a premium hockey move easily worth a 2nd round pick.

We have 10 picks but most are late round picks which are stupid long shots at ever making the Canucks.

depending on the deal, I would be okay with moving a 2nd. Ideally for myself I much rather see us try to get Edler to waive and use that pick to get him. Can sign Edler July 1.

Or look at moving Tanev, see what Toronto would be willing to give to get rid of Zaitsev. Say some retention or a good prospect or high pick

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Ferland for a 1st rounder is worse than those asking for a first rounder for Tanev (which is quite the stretch already) wow!

How do you feel about Tanev for Ferland?

I would do that deal in a heartbeat if there were a reasonable contract extension signed with Ferland. Say 5 yrs x 5M give or take...

3 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I would so that deal in a heartbeat if there were a reasonable contract extension signed with Ferland. Say 5 yrs x 5M give or take...

Carolina doesnt need NHL D tho. Unless they plan on moving other guys out

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Ferland for a 1st rounder is worse than those asking for a first rounder for Tanev (which is quite the stretch already) wow!

No, either of them are worth "a 1st" - and possibly more.

The thing that doesn't make sense about your comment is the huge gap in value between one first and another.

For example - three firsts will probably not get you one first in many instances.   Try offering a team 3 picks in the 25-30 range for a lottery 1st and you might not find a warm reception to the proposal.

Picks in the 25 to 30 range are worth a fraction of those in the top 5 or even top 10.   A late 1st with odd in the range of 25-30% (and that's an optimistic draft class) will not get you either of those players imo, maybe not even as a strictly rental price for Ferland, who  is easily worth a late 1st round pick.   Carolina to deal him for one is an epic loss on their behalf = they gave up a 5th overall pick for him (one that's Calgary's 3rd leaing scorer with 55 pts in 48 games...)

Tanev, being a rare RHD, high end shutdown D that makes very good first passes - with term and a very reasonable cap hit - is worth more imo.

43 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

I would so that deal in a heartbeat if there were a reasonable contract extension signed with Ferland. Say 5 yrs x 5M give or take...

Make that Tanev, Goldobin for Ferland, Pesce...

8 hours ago, Maketherightmove said:

Hardly smaller than him. In the same weight class without a doubt. Dorsett was proven to be able to fight legitimate heavyweights and Bieksa has always punched above his weight class. There aren't many guys around anymore that would be considered heavyweights anyways. 

Hardly smaller than him? Too funny. When Ferland entered the league and in that playoff series against the Canucks, he weighed in and around 230lbs. Bieksa is about 205lbs and Dorsett was maybe 190lbs if he was lucky.....but I guess to you getting between 25-40lbs in a fight is "hardly smaller". Bieksa was also a bit of a spot picker, and although Dorsett did fight above his weight class, he didn't win many. You did probably list the two toughest guys on Ferland's weak fight card, so how about all of the patsies he beat? You're right that there aren't many guys around anymore that could be considered heavyweights, but Ferland doesn't go near any of them anyways and never has. Again, watching him play many games for Calgary over the years, he had ample opportunities to fight guys more than willing to fight him, just on the Oilers alone, and he never wanted any part of it.

Archived