The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

8 hours ago, Screw said:

Bieksa and Dorsett are both tough scrappers. What do you want?  Should he scrap the ghost of Bob Probert?

Bieksa was similar to Ferland in that he chose to fight guys he knew he'd probably beat. Dorsett was a freaking warrior, but he was undersized and over matched most of the time. And again, those are probably the two toughest guys on his fight card. He played numerous games against Edmonton over the years and he never once went near Lucic, Kassian, Maroon or even Nurse. And that's just an example of one team. As for your Probert comment, Ferland would get a concussion just skating past Probert in the pregame warm ups.

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Ferland is not getting more than 5.1 mill Wilson makes. Wilson is younger, meaner tougher, and better.

Despite his tough guy reputation on CDC,  he's not much of a fighter.  And he's inconsistent. 

JB should try to sign as UFA not worth the assets it will cost for trade.

You clearly haven't seen any of his fights. He hasn't fought the elite tough guys, but has won every single one of his fights in the show. He is a solid fighter, just not on the level of Reaves or Peluso. 

So, I just want to tackle the cap hit......Tom Wilson make 5.1...……..Ferland will make 4.6 M, maybe 5.0

So we are at about 9.6 million less than max cap, cap goes up 4.0 Million, Dorsett's 2.6 Million off, MDZ +Pyatt under 1 Million, ………….= about +17.6 Million Cap space

Everyone not named Boeser gets  a 10% raise(1 Million) + Boeser gets (6 Million) which = approx. 7 Million + Ferland's 5 million...…………… - 12.0 Million 

Final cap hit saved + 5.6 Million

Move Sutter (4.4 Million) + Schaller (1.9 Million) + Kero (.750 Million) = 7 Million Cap savings ................................................….......Trade Savings +  7.0 Million  

Total Unspent Cap approx. 12.6 Million

So I keep Goldobin, Leivo, Baertschi, Rousell and add Ferland

Offer...…….Dahlen, 2021-1st for UFA Ferland

8 hours ago, Captain Azzy said:

Watson is a big guy, Bellemare is handy, Juice is a tough guy, Labate was feisty. It's not like those four clips - the first four I found - were him fighting Kyle Turris, Troy Stecher, Tyler Ennis and Will Butcher.

Watson is big, but not a very good fighter and the same with Labate. Bellemare has been in 5 fights in his whole life, and lost 3 of them. And Juice was another guy like Ferland who usually only fought guys that he knew he could beat. And you'll find other clips of Ferland winning fights too, but again he's not fighting anyone who can be considered threats to him. How many games has he played over the years against Edmonton, Anaheim and other teams who have/had actually tough guys and he never went near any of them? And I'm sure he would've fought the little guys you mentioned, because he knows he'd beat them.

43 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

You clearly haven't seen any of his fights. He hasn't fought the elite tough guys, but has won every single one of his fights in the show. He is a solid fighter, just not on the level of Reaves or Peluso. 

I'd agree that he's a solid fighter, but look at his card, because it's WEAK. Not only has he not fought any of the elite fighters, he hasn't even fought any of the guys a level below that. Sorry, but if you're supposed to be considered a tough guy, then your card better include guys bigger and tougher than Bieksa and Dorsett as the toughest guys you've fought. I think he has the potential do do it, but until I see him actually step up and fight someone who is good at it, then I'll continue to consider him a bit of a fake tough guy and a spot picker. But maybe him not be willing too is because of the concussion history he's had?

5 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

2 fights 24 PIM so far this year in contract year. 

24 PIM 77 games last year.

I'm sorry to break it to you guys but he's not what you guys think. 

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to have him on the team..just not sure I'd pay the price in trade or UFA cus both will be over payment. 

3 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I think Ferland is more like Raffi Torres than a goon he makes the opposing D-men move the puck quickly he’s a very useful checker that can pop a few when playing with good players.

To be honest I would prefer this type of player over a guy known for fight whether that’s ferland or another player

The Coilers are after forwards and getting Ferland would up the rivalry in Alberta.  

He would be a good add for us, just have a extension worked out, but the price will be steep as we have a desperate Cherelli trying to save his job.  

Finding a solid RHD is more vital to this team than LW atm.  Would rather use our trade resources for that end, especially if Tanev is being moved.  

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

2 fights 24 PIM so far this year in contract year. 

24 PIM 77 games last year.

I'm sorry to break it to you guys but he's not what you guys think. 

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to have him on the team..just not sure I'd pay the price in trade or UFA cus both will be over payment. 

Yeah, you have a point. A guy who has not racked up that many fights in a contract year raises a red flag for me, if he is supposed to protect Petey.

If the objective is to protect EP, I'd rather get a legitimate enforcer for cheap on a short term deal, rather than spending a first, along with cap space on a long term deal.

50 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Would consider Tanev + Goldobin for Ferland + Pesce

The Canes wouldn't. Pesce is their best RHD, and his contract is extraordinary. He's a cheaper, healthier version of Tanev.

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

The Coilers are after forwards and getting Ferland would up the rivalry in Alberta.  

He would be a good add for us, just have a extension worked out, but the price will be steep as we have a desperate Cherelli trying to save his job.  

Finding a solid RHD is more vital to this team than LW atm.  Would rather use our trade resources for that end, especially if Tanev is being moved.  

Fun thing about EDM is that they don't have the cap space to extend him :lol:

Chia might do it anyway though as that's likely the next GM's problem:emot-parrot:

Ferland is kind of the flavour of the day and someone is going to overpay pretty badly.

There have to be similar up and coming players that could’ve had for a lot less.

Having said that, if you could get Ferland in the off season for $5 million or under on a 4-5 year term, that isn’t a bad idea.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Fun thing about EDM is that they don't have the cap space to extend him :lol:

Chia might do it anyway though as that's likely the next GM's problem:emot-parrot:

Edmonton is imploding and it is just sad.  Can't blame the salarys cause of the cap, can't say they weren't given good players cause 4 1st is picks, can't blame the fans still turning out, can't blame the coach, he just got there.  

I laughed at the Larson deal.... WTF! 

2-3 years ago posters were saying that we needed to model Edmonton.... ha! 

McDavid is good enough to keep the Oilers mediocre all.by himself.  Unless something big happens and they address the supporting cast, they will be renamed the flounders.  

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

No, either of them are worth "a 1st" - and possibly more.

The thing that doesn't make sense about your comment is the huge gap in value between one first and another.

For example - three firsts will probably not get you one first in many instances.   Try offering a team 3 picks in the 25-30 range for a lottery 1st and you might not find a warm reception to the proposal.

Picks in the 25 to 30 range are worth a fraction of those in the top 5 or even top 10.   A late 1st with odd in the range of 25-30% (and that's an optimistic draft class) will not get you either of those players imo, maybe not even as a strictly rental price for Ferland, who  is easily worth a late 1st round pick.  

Based on what?  Last year the only true rental to get a first was Nash which was a stupid overpayment. Not even Kane landed a 1st without the conditional re-up (ie not a rental). 

The only way Ferland lands a 1st is if there’s a bidding war for him which I can’t see happening this year. There’s far too many other rental options on the market that will drive his price down. Stone, duchene, nyquist, Hayes, Williams, simmonds, with potential of eberle, lee, skinner, panarin. 

Id be shocked to see him alone, without a conditional extension, get a first. Not this year anyway. 

Archived