The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Micheal Ferland

37 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

those are the salary numbers he is likely to get as an ufa

that makes sense only to a contender

he would totally mess up the canucks salary structure with that contract

he really is not worth 2x what the canucks are paying roussel

and if he is acquired in a trade the cost of those lost assets also needs to be factored in

and he'll get term of 5 or 6 years

Petey can make anybody look like a star.

Roussell will not do what Ferland will. Protect Petey on a nightly basis.

Ferland is good for at least 40 pnts a season and I'd be willing to gamble Petey could get him over 50.

In case you haven't noticed, we are contending for a spot in the playoffs which makes us a contender.

Ferland is 26 and is far from old. He has a lot of years left in him. A six-year deal takes him to 32. Perfect.

Ferland changes the makeup of this line up in nothing but positive ways.

Attitude is one of those things that's contagious. Ferland standing behind Petey and Boeser allows both to move with more confidence. 

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind watching him stick it to Calgary and Edmonton every time we play them. 

Players of Ferland's ilk do not come available often. Yes, he's been traded once, but I think this time is more about Carolina not being confident he wants to stay and want to get something back before he makes free agency. 

We, absolutely, need this guy. He'd be a game changer for us.

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Isn't Virtanen supposed to do what he does?

Jake doesn't have it in him to be a tough guy. He can hit and  become a good power forward. He could even scrap with other non tough guys but he will never be the type of guy who drops the gloves with the heavyweights of the league. 

9 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

I think he is worth Kesler type trade value. 

1st round pick

roster player

prospect

I could see 

Sutter, Goldobin, 2020 1st 

Maybe through in Tyramkins rights to seal the deal

Kesler had 2 years left on a cap friendly deal at the time of his trade. Ferland is an upcoming UFA. Kesler was also a much more valuable defender and a center at that. Way more value there.

Unless Eriksson, Sutter, or a comparative salary is being moved out, I'm not overly interested.

I like the player but I don't think we should be adding another player that's going to command term and money when we have Boeser and Petey to worry about.

2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Unless Eriksson, Sutter, or a comparative salary is being moved out, I'm not overly interested.

I like the player but I don't think we should be adding another player that's going to command term and money when we have Boeser and Petey to worry about.

Cap is not remotely a problem. Only thing this would mean is likely an end to possibly chasing $9-10m Karlsson.

Omg yes please.

Exactly the type of LW we need. Ideally Jake starts clicking with Bo and Baer, putting up points, hitting like a freight train AND we manage to nab Ferland without losing any of the young core.. Booyah!

Ferland Petey Boeser

Baer Bo Virtanen

That's a young, high quality top 6 complete with skill and physicality

Sign me up

5 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

But we don't have to worry about Boeser or Petey if we have him to watch out for them.  :)

(I love taking quotes out of context)

1 minute ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Which would be a bad idea in the first place if I'm being honest.

Yeah, why would any team want to add arguably the best D in the world to their roster? :rolleyes:

Either way, you should be thrilled with trading for Ferland then, he'd likely make that move an impossibility!

58 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:

I wouldnt mind Ferland, He would be that "tough guy" we need to protect our young guns..

meh, you give Guds the immunity idol (letting him charge other team players without getting a penalty like Ferland was given the immunity idol in our playoff series with him) and the other team would run out of players to come off the bench.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, why would any team want to add arguably the best D in the world to their roster? :rolleyes:

Either way, you should be thrilled with trading for Ferland then, he'd likely make that move an impossibility!

For the term and money it would cost, as well factoring in his his age, it is not sensible for the current Canucks team to do, IMO.

Ferland wouldn't get nearly as much or get the term but its moot anyway because I was referring to money tied up on forwards in my original post and not defenders.

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

My guess is, with EDM, CAR would probably need to take Lucic back in a trade.

I could see him in a Bruins uniform.

Would love to have him here though. Make CGY pay every time we play them.

Edmonton might offer something like Lucic, yamamoto, and a first 

Wouldn't be opposed to adding Ferland but, as usual, the issue is the cost.  Ferland has had a pretty good season and is showing that he is an effective compliment to skilled players.  He could be well suited to play LW with Petey and Boeser.  My guess is the cost will be high though, and I'm not sure the Canucks would be much better off if they have to pay a high price to acquire him.

Archived